PDA

View Full Version : Rolemaster Classic Ruleset with Hex Grid preference?

thiha
October 30th, 2009, 06:46
Hi,

Recently I got to know the 3.5 ruleset now has the square/hex grid preference function.

I checked the contents of "3.5E.pak" and tried to upgrade my Rolemaster Classic ruleset (from Digital Adventures) by myself, reading the "Hex Grid" topic posted in "The Workshop". But damn, I failed to figure out what exactly I should do.

Could anyone kindly instruct me how to upgrade it? Which components from 3.5E.pak should I refer to, and which and how should I change the RMC ruleset?

Help me please.

Foen
October 30th, 2009, 12:24
It is possible to add hex grid support to a ruleset using an extension, and I attach a file which is designed for the Foundation/d20 ruleset. If you load this extension when you load the campaign, it will add a toolbar to your image window.

The toolbar allows you to select image tools directly, and also to toggle between hex and square grids. The toggling occurs at individual image level, rather than for the whole campaign, so you can have a mixture of hex and square grids.

It works fine with Rolemaster Classic, although the graphics overlap slightly with the frame. Please see the attached thumbnail: I've highlighted the toolbar with a red box.

Hope that helps

Stuart

Oberoten
October 30th, 2009, 12:39
Wow. Glorious concept. :)

- Obe

Foen
October 30th, 2009, 12:52
Added to the Wiki :D

thiha
October 31st, 2009, 05:49
It is possible to add hex grid support to a ruleset using an extension, and I attach a file which is designed for the Foundation/d20 ruleset. If you load this extension when you load the campaign, it will add a toolbar to your image window. ...
Hope that helps

Stuart

Stuart:

Toolbar!? Thanks a lot x1000!!

I didn't imagine such a fascinating help would come this soon, and I really appreciate it, and am going to use this in the next game!!

This will certainly be a great help for all hex users!

Wow. Glorious concept.

- Obe

Indeed!

Thiha

[Edit]
I've just put that imagetools.ext into the extentions folder now, and started up FGII with RMC ruleset. Wow, it works pretty fine!! Gorgeous! I guess it's a great step forward in FG's history of evolution!

Again, thanks a lot!

- Thiha

thiha
October 31st, 2009, 06:45
So, I put some tokens on a map with the extension toolbar's hex grid toggled on it, and moved them on it to see the maneuverability.

While the hex grid put prettey nicely on the map, I found that the tokens don't settle inside hexes in a certain columns in vertical hexes or rows in horizontal hexes, like, in every three columns, tokens can be put neatly inside the hexes of one column, but then run off and be put between or among the hexes in a second and a third columns.

This doesn't occur on the hex grid of 3.5 ruleset's preference function.

... the graphics overlap slightly with the frame ...

I guess Foen's this mention meant this problem. Can this running-off of tokens be managed in some way?

Thiha.

Foen
October 31st, 2009, 07:09
I posted about this issue in another thread (here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11162)) and will work on a fix asap.

Stuart

unerwünscht
October 31st, 2009, 07:37
I bow to you on such a great extension.
Next question, can we bundle this with our rulesets?

Foen
October 31st, 2009, 07:52
The extension has been fixed (see here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11162)) and hopefully should now snap tokens as expected.

I should be very happy for folks to include this with their stuff, for custom rulesets you might want to amend the extension so that the imagewindow layout fits with the frames in your ruleset.

Cheers

Stuart

thiha
October 31st, 2009, 21:18
Stuart (Foen):

Wow, what a fast and wonderful response yours is!

I've just downloaded the updated extension file and have tried moving some tokens again on the hex grid with RMC ruleset.

They are put pretty neatly inside every hex on the map this time.

I really appreciate your help of this time. And I think this extension is really a professional material, and would be a small but demanded component/product for hex-using RPGs' rulesets.

With respect,

thiha

ionofrao
December 27th, 2009, 03:43
Awesome extension, thank you so much, you the man!

tdewitt274
December 27th, 2009, 18:16
I use this extension quite a bit, thanks!

Another cool feature would be to toggle it when you click on an image so you can set visibility, rotation, etc. Not sure if this can be done easily though...

Just tossing this out there, would you be interested in creating an "Editor's" toolbar for Story, or possibly a "toggle" for all windows that would allow you to switch between Map and Editor? This would make updati