PDA

View Full Version : Missing Portrait and Quick Slots

Count Zer0
October 21st, 2009, 02:57
Recently, shortly after the 2.6.1 update but not immediately, when I joined our regular game (several years ongoing at this point), I could no longer see my character's portrait and all of my quick slot settings had disappeared. All the other character information was still there. Also, on maps I could not see the portraits (all default portraits) of my fellow PCs. I could reset the quick slots, but on logging out and back in, or on having the program crash, the quick slots were emptied again. Monster and NPC icons show up and the icons for the characters, but not the portraits, are visible on maps.

I completely uninstalled the program and reinstalled it and the d20 ruleset we are using, but it did not help at all.

Anyone seen this before, or have any ideas on what is going on?

Thanks!

Griogre
October 21st, 2009, 22:24
Did you delete the campaign folder being run on the client? Or the usersettings folder? The hotkeys shortcuts are kept there.

In a long running campaign, you may also be lagging out because massive data that you own is being transfered from the server - though typically it should be happening to everyone with a character as old as yours.

Count Zer0
October 22nd, 2009, 04:27
Did you delete the campaign folder being run on the client? Or the usersettings folder? The hotkeys shortcuts are kept there.

Are you suggesting that I should try deleting these, or that maybe they were deleted accidentally? The campaign folder in the application data folder is there and has maybe 30 - 40 files, all very small. I don't see a usersettings folder either in the application data folder or in the install folder. Would it be elsewhere or is it missing and might be the source of my problems?

In a long running campaign, you may also be lagging out because massive data that you own is being transfered from the server - though typically it should be happening to everyone with a character as old as yours.

None of the other 3 clients are having problems.

Griogre
October 22nd, 2009, 19:40
Sorry, I was in a hurry and for some reason I spaced you being a player, you wouldn't see a usersettings folder as a player.

In an long running d20 Campaign you are in as a player it is possible your characters "owns" too many large maps or other images. Quite a few updates of FG ago they changed the way ownership and the cache file works (to fix a bug). Without getting into the details you can see if this is the problem by the next time you log into the game using a different Login name and having the GM free the character for you. If that solves the lag problem that is what the problem is.

This problem only occurs now in campaigns that started before that update and are still ongoing. It would not happen in a new campaign.

The lack of problem by the other clients would happen if they either: a) didn't have as many large images "owned" or b) they are newer characters created after the FG update.

Tenian
October 22nd, 2009, 19:56
Two of my players (a husband and wife pair) suffer random "cache errors" when they disconnect from the game. When this happens they have to redownload everything the next time they connect and their settings (hotkey/die colors/etc) are all wiped. When they first connect it takes a bit for the non-ruleset elements (i.e. tokens, portraits, maps, etc) to show up, but eventually they do.

Are you receiving any sort of error when you disconnect from the session / the host ends the session?

Count Zer0
October 28th, 2009, 01:48
Without getting into the details you can see if this is the problem by the next time you log into the game using a different Login name and having the GM free the character for you. If that solves the lag problem that is what the problem is.

So we just tried this. I signed in as a new player and was able to select my character after he'd been release. This changed none of the problems, however. I still do not see any portraits or maps, but GM icons come through alright. Quick slots are still gone and disappear again every time I log out and back in again.

And @ Tenian, no error messages at all.

Leonal
October 28th, 2009, 01:57
Hmm, our group may have been experiencing something similar.

Not seeing maps, or only the most recent (manual) drawing on a map, nor tokens and players have to be released for them to be visible at each login.

Whether this is an FG problem or not I'm not sure of though, as some of my players are behind the Great (fire)Wall of China on a rather unstable connection.

Count Zer0
November 1st, 2009, 02:17
Alright, I went in and deleted all of the files in /Application Data Folder/Campaigns/OurCampaign and /Application Data Folder/Cache/OurCampaign. That seems to have done the trick. I logged back in and selected my character and all was hunk-dory again.

Callum
March 1st, 2010, 15:33
One of my players has a similar problem to this - that is, he loses his hotkeys whenever he signs out and back in (next session). Clearing the cache seems to help sometimes, but often only temporarily - that is, it gives him back his hotkeys, but they disappear during a session at some point! Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? And where are the players' hotkeys stored?

Callum
March 3rd, 2010, 10:59
With some further investigation, we've discovered that the problem seems to be caused by the fact that he runs two characters - his main character, and a cohort. If he selects his main PC when he signs in, then when he switches to the cohort his hotkeys get overwritten with a very old set - however, these hotkeys persist no matter how many times he then switches back and forth between the characters. Similarly, if he selects the cohort when he first signs in, then switches to his main PC, he gets to keep his new, up-to-date hotkeys for the whole session! We've got no idea why it should work like this, or even why there are different versions of his hotkeys stored on his machine. They seem to be held in his "campaign.dat" file - there are two different versions of this, stored in different locations - but the file is encrypted, and we can't read it.