PDA

View Full Version : Can you run dedicated FG server and GM from another connection?

JoeGun
October 20th, 2009, 17:55
Hi All,

I was wondering if you can run a dedicated FG server and then GM from a client connection? My issue is this, we run a lunchtime game so we play from work, so we can't host a game past the work firewalls. So is there a way to have a FG server running from a home server, that we can all connect to? and if so how does one "promote" themselves to GM?

zabulus
October 20th, 2009, 19:05
No, the person hosting the game is automatically the GM. However, firewalls are typically something between the company and the big bad outside world. If all of you are working for the same company, can't you play it on the company network? And if you are not, wouldn't a firewall then still be in the way even if your host was at home somewhere? (I know our company firewall blocks certain outgoing ports as well as incoming ones).

Zeus
October 20th, 2009, 20:10
If you or any of you players are intending to play behind a firewall that you or the players do not control, you could try running a private VPN solution like Hamachi, however you might need to to talk to your network administration team to ensure private VPNs are allowed.

I personally do not use Hamachi but several users on the forums here have reported great success when constrained by similar situations.

Do a search on this forum for Hamachi, it should return quite a few useful posts.

JoeGun
October 23rd, 2009, 22:31
cool thanks for the info. As for if we are all at the same company...no. if that were the case, we would just goto the break room and bust out the dice. This is just a bunch of friends trying to spend lunch together across a few thousand miles :)