PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I lied.

Fiskonian
October 20th, 2009, 10:16
I have been playing D&D for years, but I'm new to 4th Ed.

Would anyone be willing to help me make a character and help explain a few things to me regarding gameplay?

Sorry, the new rules are very different than 3ed and 2ed. I only have access to PDF versions of the rules also, which makes things slightly difficult. (I bought the books, theyre just in a different country right now.)

EugeneZ
October 20th, 2009, 23:28
Just post your questions here, lots of people play 4e and you'll easily get answers.

Lysander
October 20th, 2009, 23:41
Making a starting character is not very hard once you get a few practice characters under your belt. If you have access to the DDI character builder, it'll teach you lots. If you don't, then post a few of the problems or questions you're trying to crack and we'll help you out...

I find if you're joining a group, 4e seems to put more emphasis on group composition than anything of the previous editions. It's much like making a WoW raid group, and 4e seems to borrow from that mindset a lot (MMORPG)...

Good luck! :bandit:

Griogre
October 21st, 2009, 02:16
If you don't have access to DDI for some reason - the character builder I think does PH characters up to 2nd or 3rd level - this excel character generator is very good: https://dnd4.com/dd-4th-edition-character-sheet

Fiskonian
October 21st, 2009, 05:32
Well, mainly what I'm having a bit of trouble with understanding is the attack and damage workspace, basic attacks section, senses, rituals and utility powers.
attack and damage workspace - I'm guessing it's like the weapon slot on 3ed character sheets?
basic attacks - why have this and the attack and damage section?
senses - is this the default check instead of rolling a die everytime you might notice something?
rituals - spells for everyone?
utility powers - ???

Zeus
October 21st, 2009, 08:33
I'll try and answer these for you although I didn't play much 2E or 3E.

attack and damage workspace - holds the attack/damage stats for your Player Character when using equipped weapons. Under the FGII 4E_JPG ruleset this maps to the weapons/implements section of the Combat tab of the Character Sheet.

basic attacks - are At-Will attacks that ALL classes possess. They can represent melee and ranged attacks and are often used when i) a power allows it, ii) when the PC can make an opportunity attack. I also sometimes use these attack types when non-trained PC's attempt hand to hand fisticuffs etc.

senses - On the 4E paper Character Sheet Senses lists the Passive Perception and Insight modifiers and any other special senses for the PC. These are used when PC's are not actively trying to make a skill check. However for the 4E_JPG Character Sheet, senses just lists special senses of the character, for example darkvision 30', i.e. player character can see in the dark upto 30 feet. These are not default or Passive checks as such, for passive checks use the Passive Insight and Perception skills on the Main tab of the Character Sheet. For Active checks use the Skills on the Skills tab.

rituals - I guess these are the equivalent of 2E and 3E scrolls. A PC needs the Ritualcaster Feat in order to make use of Rituals. Some classes include this Feat as part of the Class Build.

utility powers - generally non-attack type powers that can be used by the PC. They represent useful powers that can be used to overcome obstacles both in/out of combat. e.g. Cleric Utility power Holy Lantern is a Level 6 utility power that provides Light.

Hope that Helps.

Fiskonian
October 21st, 2009, 10:16
That actually helps alot. Thank you!

Griogre
October 21st, 2009, 22:28
One slight correction on rituals. Only people *trained* in ritual casting, which is a feat (some classes get it as a bonus feat), can cast rituals. But *anyone* can cast a ritual on a scroll in half the normal time.