PDA

View Full Version : Stop players from scrolling on maps

Marimar
October 12th, 2009, 14:29
I have a question that I'm sure is simple :)

When displaying a player map of a dungeon for example, my players can scroll on the map with the small arrow icon on the bottom right on the map.

How do I disable that? The whole point is for me to show them what they see, right? :)

Thanks //Marimar

Sorontar
October 12th, 2009, 14:33
I have a question that I'm sure is simple :)

When displaying a player map of a dungeon for example, my players can scroll on the map with the small arrow icon on the bottom right on the map.

How do I disable that? The whole point is for me to show them what they see, right? :)

Thanks //Marimar

Apply a mask to the map before you share it (it's a right click option) so you reveal only what they see.

Sigurd
October 12th, 2009, 15:58
In fairness to the players, you want them to be able to look at recent areas to jog their memory.

It can be a bit of a pain only revealing what they see with the mask but its worth it. Make sure you only show them 'enough' though or give up on the idea of making secret doors etc...

s

Astinus
October 12th, 2009, 23:51
And if you want to re-hide sections of the map (maybe someone is sneaking up behind them) you can re-apply the mask in specific areas by clicking CTRL as you draw on the map (the same way you reveal the map, but clicking CTRL covers it up again).

Marimar
October 13th, 2009, 08:02
Cool tips, I'll try that. It seems like a bit extra work to have to apply a mask and revealing an area at a time, but perhaps it's worth it, I don't know.

Have to try it :)

Thanks guys!

EugeneZ
October 13th, 2009, 13:47
Agreed, masking feature is worth it. What I'd like to know is how to allow the players to move the view without it snapping back, but I suspect I already know that the answer is "that's not possible."

Leonal
October 13th, 2009, 14:18
@ EugeneZ
Players can freeze the map in a new place after moving the view by right clicking when they have focus on the desired place. Moving normally and releasing again resets it. Also if you right click while it is scrolling it will continue to scroll until it hits the edge.
(not sure if this is ruleset specific for moon_wizard's rulesets though)

It will not update for that player if the GM updates point of view until it is released on the player side though.

You can try it out with two clients open.

EugeneZ
October 13th, 2009, 23:08
Brilliant. I did not know that. I am glad I asked, thank you.

Griogre
October 13th, 2009, 23:33
It bears repeating that once the player "freezes" the pane it stays frozen until he unlocks it - it doesn't change views when the GM shifts views.

EugeneZ
October 14th, 2009, 17:44
I get it, thanks. I just wanted a way they could do it, even broken functionality like this. I mean, this is pretty clearly a bug to me... don't think it was designed to work this way. But it's a bug that allows players slightly more control than they had before, which they occasionally need. So it's nice to know about it, shortcomings and all.

Zeus
October 14th, 2009, 20:04
Hey thats useful to know as my players have grumbled on occaision that that cannot freeze the map. I'll have to give this a go at the next opportunity.

Griogre
October 15th, 2009, 00:07
EugeneZ, I'm not exactly sure this is a bug now. Doing this, use the crash the client if the DM made a viewpoint move that would put the offset on the locked client "out of the frame" from where it was locked. I double checked this doesn't happen anymore - so I guess its a "feature" - since their fix for the crash is not to let the locked client move regardless of the GM updating viewpoint.