PDA

View Full Version : Modify 3.5 base ruleset wallpaper?

VoodooBee
October 11th, 2009, 23:40
I'm sorry if this is a redundant question but I am having trouble finding how to change the desktop background for the basic 3.5 ruleset that FG II starts out using as a default. I've looked through the forums and can see that it is fairly easy with the addon rulesets but I can't find any information on changing the base desktop. Thanks.

EugeneZ
October 12th, 2009, 00:01
There is a file in the Fantasy Grounds program directory. NOT the data dir, where you usually look for stuff. The actual install directory, probably here: C:\Program Files\Fantasy Grounds II

Inside there are files called 3.5E.pak, foundation.pak, and so on. You can open these as zip files and modify the frames/desktop.png file.

However, you probably DON'T want to do this as the next time you run an update, it will overwrite that pak with an updated copy. What you want to do is create your own extension, containing just the desktop. To create your own extension, I believe there are a number of places that can help you get started, including the Library link on this site. But the basic idea is that you need an XML file called extension.xml which defines which ruleset can use your extension, what the name of your extension is, etc. Then you need a directory called frames, that contains your modified desktop.png. Zip up those things (maintaining directory structure) and rename the extension to "name.ext" instead of "name.zip"

Hope that helps.

VoodooBee
October 12th, 2009, 00:08
It does, thanks. I was just starting to figure out that I needed to make an ext, but wasn't quite sure where to start. Thanks. :)

Oberoten
October 12th, 2009, 09:28
The rather dusty page:

https://oberoten.dyndns.org/ext

Contains a few skins for you to look at and change. The EXT is as per usual just renamed Zip files.

- Obe

VoodooBee
October 13th, 2009, 02:55
I saw those but they're not really suitable for what I'm looking to do. Thanks though. I'm good at graphics and not so much with coding sadly. :\

EugeneZ
October 13th, 2009, 04:00
You don't really need to do any code. Just create an extension.xml file that looks like the one on this page:

https://fantasygrounds.com/modguide/extensions.xcp

Simply replace the black text with the appropriate values. Then create a folder called frames and copy the frames/desktop.png file from the d20.pak that I pointed out in my first reply.

If you get stuck, come back here and post what ails ya.

VoodooBee
October 14th, 2009, 00:31
I didn't realize you could open the extensions like a zip file Thanks a lot for taking some time to reply. I think I can figure it out from here. When I do I'll post a screenshot. :)

Tenian
October 14th, 2009, 00:44
Actually you can make sub folders under your extensions folder (like the rulesets you install in the rulesets folder) and work on adjusting the extenstion without having to keep rezipping it.

VoodooBee
October 14th, 2009, 17:23
I found that out when I was messing with stuff yesterday. But overall being able to look at how they are put together was immensely helpful. I am sure it's probably all laid out in the modding guide but I have a much easier time working backwards I guess than figuring out how to build something from scratch when I'm not familiar with it.