PDA

View Full Version : One Thing that May Drive Me Away from FG

phloog
October 8th, 2009, 18:55
Here's the snide way of putting this: Would it really be too much to ask that FG act like other applications when it comes to display?

The less snide description: I'm on Vista 64, but I don't think that's the problem.

I open FG, and it's not maximized. I maximize, and I can't see the hot key bar.

I switch to another application, then back to FG, and the ONLY thing I see is the hot key bar, and if I alt-Tab again it appears that I was NOT actually on FG - it chose not to 'activate'...so I fiddle around with Alt-Tab again until I can see all of FG, then I can play until I need to use my PC for anything else, then I have to remember the secret magic combination to get FG on my screen again.

Example...at the bottom of my screen as I type this is my taskbar with applications..I can click on any of them and instantly switch to that app, except Fantasy Grounds. If I Alt-TAb to FG, I get the hotkey bar...if I tab around a few more times I can get to FG.

You know what, I'm going back to my snide version as it's shorter and more honest: Why have you programmed FG to work in a way that doesn't seem to match ANY other application I've ever used in Windows? It sure ain't a feature.

EDIT/UPDATE: Noticed in the wishlist something similar about Maximize - perhaps the same thing. But it's listed as a (F)eature request...sorry, but an application running in Windows that behaves as FG behaves is a (B)ug

Griogre
October 8th, 2009, 19:26
FYI FG is a directX app not a Windows app - there is a differance. Thus the lack of switching, loss of focus, ect, which is typical of a directX app which expects to be the only application running. However other directX apps do allow better switching especially in windowed mode and I would also like to see that in FG.

To cover up the task bar you may need to expand, window FG several times. However, if you are going to run FG and several other programs I would suggest you run FG windowed and stretched out not to cover your task bar. I typically use several other programs other than FG when I run and I found that the best way. When I switch in and out of FG I am in the habbit of always first clicking on the FG titlebar when I come back in to give FG back the focus.

EugeneZ
October 8th, 2009, 21:05
I tab in and out of FG2 all the time on windows 7 and never have these problems, ever. All my players complain about them, though, and I see posts on the forums, so I'm sure they are real issues (and I have dealt with the situations Griogre discribes in DirectX games) but they just don't happen to me, for some reason.

Moon Wizard
October 9th, 2009, 00:17
I do as Griogre mentioned, and I use FG in windowed mode and stretch it to fill most of my screen. I leave a small strip to run any other apps, like Ventrilo. Then, I just click between the apps.

Cheers,
JPG

unerwünscht
October 9th, 2009, 04:37
Just a quick side note to EugeneZ (and anyone else running Windows 7), I am NOT calling you a pirate or a thief or any such thing, but be VERY careful with windows 7... There is a sniffer routine and if you happen to be running an invalid copy of Windows 7 (or for whatever reason it thinks you are) Microsoft has some VERY nasty protection built into W7 and when it starts validating across the net you will have to format the entire drive to regain control of your computer, that could bring about a large amount of data loss.

I have a valid W7 license, and I have still isolated W7 on a drive all of its own, with no other applications (or any data for that matter) stored on its drive... and a dual boot with XP on another drive as a precautionary measure.

Foen
October 9th, 2009, 06:07
Windows 7 was released to Microsoft Partners in August. I use it all the time, although thanks for the tip unerwünscht.

When running FG, because it is a DX app, I do as JPG and Griogre - stretch the app to cover most of the screen and click between FG and other apps. I've had no problems, although one or two of my players have difficulty when they try to use Alt-Tab and don't remember to click on the title bar to give FG back the focus.

Foen

EugeneZ
October 9th, 2009, 15:17
I'm using the public beta that runs until, like, March of next year or something. I have a retail copy of vista lying around that is upgradable to Win7 once it's out. But thanks for the warning. It's crap like that that makes me want to go back to using Linux full time. FG2 was actually one of the main reasons I kept XP on this rig. I gotta admit, though.... Win7 is sliiiick. :p

Back on topic, yes, I stretch the program as far as possible and click into other programs and back. I guess that's why I haven't had any problems, from the sound of it.

phloog
October 10th, 2009, 02:44
I guess I'll be the odd one out for thinking that, nice as the band aids are, they're still just a bit silly/clunky. I get that there's a reason...just thinking that if it really is going to be that huge a break from the Windows paradigm, it's not a great choice.

Again, I realize it seems like it's just me, but this feels like this is a conversation that would take place:

"Is this an application that runs in Windows?"

"Absolutely, you just can't use Windows navigation with it"

EugeneZ
October 10th, 2009, 07:46
Phloog, as Griogre pointed out, many DirectX apps have problems with Alt-Tab, historically. Microsoft makes DirectX, so maybe you should take it up with them? They also make Windows. Why can't they make it easier for their graphics toolkit to work with their operating system's navigation?

I realize I'm not being helpful here, but it seems as though you won't listen to reason. You started this thread with the opinion that FG2 is missing something simple and obvious, and you've been told it's neither simple nor obvious, to the degree that it's common to ignore the problem. So, yes, FG2 has a problem, but it really should not frustrate you this much, in my opinion.

unerwünscht
October 10th, 2009, 09:26
No, but what should frustrate him, is that I have and do use Fantasy Grounds on three versions of Windows at this point, and have only encountered the error explained a hand full of times. And I am an Alt+Tab Junkie.

Now lets examine windows settings... Specifically those to do with the start bar (as I think this is going to be where the issues are). I have mine set to the bottom of my screen, and expanded to three rows deep. I also have it set to not lock so I can expand and contract it as needed. It is also set to not auto hide, and not display ontop of other applications. I don't know if any of that is what makes the difference for me. But its worth a shot.