PDA

View Full Version : Transparent AoE Markers

Griogre
October 4th, 2009, 22:58
After the changes to tokens that mean you don't pick up transparent pieces I thought I would try transparent AoE tokens with a transparent center with a rim. I'm finding them to work well. They are the dark red sqaures in the picture below.

https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/Griogre/TransparentAOE.png

Blue Haven
October 4th, 2009, 23:22
Very nice :) that map takes me back in time...it seems like Eye of the Beholder 3...the first level when you are traveling in the woods...very cool...

Leonal
October 4th, 2009, 23:33
Hmm, that's a good idea.^^ Easier to see what's inside the area than my 50% gray templates (which are also a bit hard to use on dark maps.

Zeus
October 5th, 2009, 09:29
I did something similar for my 4E D&D games. I have attached them for anyone who wants quick AoE markers. They do not form a complete set but cover the majority of sizes required at Heroic Tier Level.

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3105/3982671265_4fbdb7e99c_b.jpg

Leonal
October 5th, 2009, 13:18
Now I got inspired :)

Here are the templates given in the Pathfinder RPG book. 50px/5ft
Also adding the inkscape file if any one wants different colors, alpha values or to export with other resolutions.

I added a 30ft radius template for clerics and their channel energy. (Since they don't have a template for it, I made it in what I thought was logical when looking at the other templates.)

Tenian
October 5th, 2009, 13:20
The problem I've found with using token based AOE tokens is you have to leave tokens unlocked for your players to make use of them.

Leonal
October 5th, 2009, 13:32
I don't let my players use them. They point where they want to shoot and then I place the token after. Same goes for NPCs.
One round is only 6 seconds(in Pathfinder & D&D) after all and they will generally not have time to calculate exactly what the effect hits before releasing it. :)

Griogre
October 5th, 2009, 19:10
I almost never lock tokens - only in surprise situations really where I want to "freeze" the party while I load the Combat tracker or read something. I find the AoE tokens most useful for persistent zones that move around.

The red squares in the original post were created difficult ground.

The reason I made only the rim non transparent is because you get into token stacking issues where you have to leave the AoE marker out for persistent effects.

Leonal
October 5th, 2009, 23:22
That's a very good point Griogre, I had forgotten about the stacking issue.

I like to freeze tokens so that movement distance is show more or less correctly.

edit: Added templates with just a red outline.

BruntFCA
March 4th, 2010, 20:59
These are great!

The only problem I have is that I use "Brunel" style wide guage for my maps. Instead of the 50 by 50 I went for 65, 65. I have a very large high rez monitor, and 50by50 just does not cut it, not to mention the miniatures start to look like space invaders from the 80s.

I simply need to increase the size of each by 1.3. Whats the easiest way to do this? I tried paint, it now fits beautifully but I lose transparency.

I DL ed a free PNG edits (gimp), but it's so complex, I can't seem to get it to scale all! Just looking for a quick way to resize all layers of a PNG quickly really. Cheers.

Spyke
March 4th, 2010, 21:02
I did some ones for hex maps a while back, which you can get from my website:

www.spyke.me

Spyke

Griogre
March 5th, 2010, 09:37
I simply need to increase the size of each by 1.3. Whats the easiest way to do this? I tried paint, it now fits beautifully but I lose transparency.

I DL ed a free PNG edits (gimp), but it's so complex, I can't seem to get it to scale all! Just looking for a quick way to resize all layers of a PNG quickly really. Cheers.
Try Paint.NET, it handles transparency and while not as powerful as GIMP I find it easier to use. https://www.getpaint.net/index.html

Just a FYI "sizing up" is usually a bad idea with any complex graphic - it works fine with simple graphics like the AOE tokens though.

BruntFCA
March 12th, 2010, 14:24
Hi,

I Dl'ed Paint.Net. It's really good, it works intuitively and I was able to do exactly what I wanted in seconds.

Look, I even put a transparent Fire texture on the token to "sex-up" Wizards AoEs!

EDIT: OK so I uploaded the non-xparent jpeg by accident...but trust me it works!

Griogre
March 13th, 2010, 23:58
One of my pet peeves about open source software is the user interface is usually designed by committee (and probably more than one committee over time) and that is usually very bad for the user interface. GIMP is, sadly, a good example of this problem.