PDA

View Full Version : Simple "Adding Rulesets for Dummies"?

King Joey
September 29th, 2009, 21:48
Okay, I'm virtually a zero at programming (and don't even know what xml and/or lua mean), but I do like roleplaying and love the way FG2 looks. But I'm trying to add some of the rulesets put out there (like GURPS and AD&D). I've downloaded the .zip files, but have no idea what to do next.

I looked around at the FAQs and various message board posts, but could not find a simple step by step of how to install a downloaded ruleset. If one exists and I was just too clumsy to spot it, please point it out to me. If one does not exist, could somebody give me a quick step by step? Or, if it is a process that actually involves technical programming, then please let me know so I can delete them and forget about the whole process.

Thanks!

unerwünscht
September 29th, 2009, 23:46
Well, you have already done the majority of it.
The final step is to unpack the contents of those zip files into your rulesets folder. Unfortunately the location of said folder changes dependent of what operating system you are running, and I do not know the location in Vista.

In Windows XP : (main drive):\Documents and Settings\(user)\Application Data\Fantasy Grounds II\rulesets

EugeneZ
September 29th, 2009, 23:49
Welcome to FG2!

First off all, you must be running the Full Version of FG2, not Lite. Assuming that is the case, do this:

Click Start > Programs > Fantasy Grounds II > Application Data Folder.

In there, you should see a "rulesets" directory. Simply unzip your rulesets into that folder.

If you are running Lite, you will need a DM who is running that ruleset. When you connect to that DM's game, your client will download all the necessary files.

Hope that helps!

Doswelk
September 30th, 2009, 01:09
and I do not know the location in Vista.

In Vista (and Windows 7) it is:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds II

King Joey
September 30th, 2009, 03:24
Thanks for the help. I found it and got the ruleset working. I was looking in the explorer windows from "My Computer" and wasn't finding it. But I stumbled across a post that mentioned the "application data folder" accessible through the start menu. I'd never heard of accessing a program folder that way; now I know! :)

Spyke
September 30th, 2009, 10:36
You mention that you were having trouble with the GURPS ruleset, but I think you may have an old version. If you get the latest one from my website www.spyke.me the zip contains the ruleset as an executable which will install itself when you double-click on it.

I'll be releasing a new version of the ruleset later today, to take advantage of the version release just now, so you might want to wait until tomorrow.

PM me if you have any problems.

Spyke

King Joey
October 1st, 2009, 03:29
I hadn't actually attempted the GURPS ruleset yet, but I will get the new when I do. I'm more of a 3rd edition guy, and I've never actually used 4e. But I saw another thread where the conversion/adaptation should not be a problem. So I'll probably do it that way (or just give in and get the 4e stuff from SJG).