PDA

View Full Version : Transferring characters betw GMs

gmkieran
September 23rd, 2009, 14:47
My group is in the process of trying to transition from one GM to another. We're keeping the same characters in an on-going campaign that will have at least one more GM transition sometime down the road. What is the *least painful* way to transport existing characters from one Host to another, assuming that Tenian's tool for this is not available and Zephp's .NET tool for it isn't cooperating?

I'm working on hacking the character code out of the previous GM's .xml file and trying to paste it into mine, but I'm certain to miss something and I don't know if things like the tokens or portraits will transfer correctly that way.

Thoughts? Help! :)

As a note to the developers, any possibility of including this functionality in the program sometime in the future? Either a tool to export relevant character data into a separate, emailable file or else a way for a host to transfer characters to a client that can then access those character as a host?

Spyke
September 23rd, 2009, 15:30
Send the campaign folder onto the next GM?

If you have a main campaign set up with the PCs logged into that you could create individual adventures as modules to swap in and out.

Spyke

gmkieran
September 23rd, 2009, 17:22
That seems like very common sense - wish I'd thought of it! ;) We're running off modules, anyway, but each had our own "campaign". Thanks, Spyke!

Zeus
September 23rd, 2009, 18:24
You might find this useful also.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10734&highlight=campaign+tools

unerwünscht
September 23rd, 2009, 22:18
If you are planning on sharing the game (you run a session this week, he runs a session next week and so on) and you would like to keep the files up to date, I would suggest the use of a File Repository.

Subversion (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subversion_%28software%29) is open source, and very popular, granted its normally used for software development, but realistically there is nothing that would limit its usage to such.

We are in fact working on building a custom repository for GamingArmy to do exactly this, but its a low priority feature at the moment and thus still a ways off.

gmkieran
September 24th, 2009, 15:49
interesting thought, unerwunscht, but nothing nearly that complicated. First GM runs his module, I run my module, next GM runs his module - so, looking to change every 6-8 months, not every week.

thanks, zephp, see my post in the armory thread re: your .NET tool and the issues I'm having with it.