PDA

View Full Version : Rivenroar (4E): Thursdays, 7:30-11:30 EST

penlin
September 20th, 2009, 13:13
I'm a fairly new GM wanting to try my hand at running a short adventure with FG2. I will be running the "Rescue at Rivenroar" adventure (D&D 4E) on Thursday nights, 7:30 to 11:30 EST. This adventure is the first in the Scales of War adventure path, but I currently have no plans to run the whole thing.

I'm looking for players. If you would like to join, send me a PM and read the stuff below. Your PM should describe a character concept plus how your PC is linked to one of the NPCs in the town of Brindol (see below).

penlin
September 20th, 2009, 13:14
The current plan is to keep the group of players small, probably only 3 or 4, since I am new at this. You should have the Hamachi client to connect to my server. We will use Obsidian Portal for connection/communication purposes. I have set up a "campaign" page there:

https://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/rivenroar-penlin

penlin
September 20th, 2009, 13:15
Something has begun to stir on the fringes of the civilized Elsir Vale. Formerly the site of an attack by an army known as the Red Hand, the Vale has known several years of peace since brave adventurers stormed into the teeth of the approaching Hand and sent them scurrying back into the darkness.

But the peace of Elsir Vale—and specifically, the town of Brindol, heart of the former conflict with the Red Hand—has been shattered. The vague shadow of unease the locals have been experiencing lately has crystallized in the form of an attack on the town itself. Now Brindol finds itself once more in need of brave heroes willing to come to the aid of their citizens.

In “Rescue at Rivenroar,” the player characters must brave the depths of ancient catacombs in search of prisoners taken from the town of Brindol in a midnight raid. The hobgoblins, bandits that style themselves after an invading horde from long ago, have taken refuge in a dungeon under a ruined mountain fortress, and the PCs must clear them out to find the captive townsfolk and the treasures taken from Brindol.

penlin
September 20th, 2009, 13:15
Sertanian: Veteran of earlier “Red Hand” war and caretaker of Brindol’s most famous monument

Kartenix: Valiant captain of Brindol’s city watch

Ser Mikal: Experienced Imperial commander sent to Brindol to take charge of its defense. A gruff outsider who has made few friends.

Zerriksa: A cranky old lady, widely regarded as a witch by Brindol residents

Harrik Orenna: Lord Warden, leader of city council

Eoffram Troyas: New addition to Brindol’s city council, intent on shaking things up

Edwin: An experienced behind-the-scenes manipulator on the Brindol city council

Jalissa: Acolyte of Ioun.

Andronsius: Dwarf alchemist

penlin
September 23rd, 2009, 01:54
Not too much interest yet, so there are still openings. If you're wary about setting up an account on Obsidian Portal, I'm flexible about that.

penlin
September 23rd, 2009, 13:19
I think I was a little too cautious in my initial post. My ultimate goal here is to start a long-term group, perhaps playing all of Scales of War or perhaps something else (a group decision for later).

Since I've been on the player end of several groups that have fizzled due to GM burnout, I didn't want to over-promise. Hence, I said that the initial adventure was the initial commitment. If things go well, I will continue on.

So far, in putting together the Rivenroar content, I've been impressed at how well FG2 supports 4E (thanks to an excellent 4E_JPG and Parser!) and it's come fairly easily. Prospects are looking pretty good at the moment...

penlin
September 24th, 2009, 02:37
If you PM'ed me earlier about this, please re-send. I didn't realize this, but I hit the FG maximum of 50 messages shortly after posting the original advertisement. The FG warning is small and unobtrusive, so I didn't realize this for a long time despite the fact that I was checking for PMs regularly. Also, the sender doesn't get any warning either as far as I can tell.

Anyway, I am very very sorry if I missed your PM as a result. My message box is cleared up. Please resend.

penlin
September 25th, 2009, 05:05
We had our first session tonight, which I think went pretty well. Our next session will be next Thursday, 7:30 to 11:30 PM EST. We had only two players, so we are looking for more.

Compared to my last GMing endeavor, FG2 (vs FG1) and 4E (vs 3.5E) have both made things quite a bit easier. I think I will be quite happy to GM for a while to come. The current plan is for us to finish the Rivenroar adventure and the consider where to go from there. Continue Scales of War? Do something else? We will see.

If you are interested, please PM me.

penlin
September 28th, 2009, 21:08
Bump. We still have one opening, so PM me if you're interested. Please include a brief character concept that mentions a connection to one of the NPCs in the town of Brindol.

penlin
October 2nd, 2009, 12:38
We had our second session last night, which went well, imho. Our next session will be Thu, Oct 8, 7:30-11:30. We have 4 players and are still looking for a 5th player. They are a paladin, warden, swordmage, and a bard. Therefore, we would like to see a...

Defender: another defender, are you kidding me??
Striker: we have slight preference for this
Controller/Leader: either one would be ok

To apply, PM me a brief character concept with a connection to a Brindol NPC.

Note that I have a business trip, Mon-Wed of next week, so responses may be slow during that time. I will post here when we are full, so don't hesitate to apply until you see that.

penlin
October 3rd, 2009, 12:46
It looks like we have a 5th player, so the game is now full. I still welcome any expressions of interest, however. If you PM me, I will note your name and interest and contact you in the case of any openings.