PDA

View Full Version : Questions on 4E_JPG ruleset

Davian Goliath
September 19th, 2009, 14:03
I am starting to get my hands a little dirty with FGII and the 4e_JPG ruleset. Right now I'm just building / transposing some campaigns. I have watched the Xorne tutorials (excellent for a jumpstart) and the user guide. I am supposing the questions I have are 4E specific:

1. How do I use the Skill Challenge? I can't quite figure it out...
2. How do I manage and track effects? I see the effect tab in the combat tracker but I could use some help in how to use it.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

Moon Wizard
September 19th, 2009, 20:04
Let me take a stab at answers for you.

1. The skill challenge tracker was designed to give the GM a place to store the ongoing results of a skill challenge.

* To set up a skill challenge, just enter the DC for each skill that is allowed in the skill challenge.
* To use the skill challenge, when a skill check is rolled in the chat box, just drag the result from the chat box to the skill challenge tracker. If the skill roll dropped matches a skill with a DC in the tracker window, then the tracker will compare the skill roll result to the DC, and add either a success or failure to that skill entry in the tracker.
* To edit individual rolls, you can click on the skill names to open a list of the skill rolls that have been dropped for each skill (shows nothing if no rolls dropped). Each skill roll received by the tracker will remember the name of the person who made the roll and the success or failure of the roll. The success or failure of each roll can also be toggled.

2. The effects in the combat tracker are simply a way to track effects on each combatant.

* To use effects, simply type the name of the effect (whatever you want to call it) into the text field of the effect entry. Then, select the duration for your effect, either <NONE>, "Enc", "Save", "End N", "End", "Start". If you select "End N", "End" or "Start", another number box will appear which denotes the numerical initiative when the effect will expire. If you select "Save", another number box will appear which denotes the modifier to the saving throw for that effect.
* The effects affecting each combatant are announced when their turn is announced in the combat tracker.
* When using the next actor or next round buttons, the effects will automatically expire based on their duration setting as initiative advances.
* If you set the option, saving throw rolls will automatically be made when a combatant with an effect that expires on a "Save" ends their turn.
* Also, you can double-click or drag the saving throw modifier field to make a saving throw for that specific effect.
* If a saving throw for an effect is successful (via the auto-roll or via the drag from save mod), then the effect will automatically be removed.
* There is a menu option to clear all effects. Just right-click on the menu button at the bottom of the combat tracker to access the menu.
* The clients can advance the initiative from the client combat tracker, if they own the character who is currently the active actor.
* There are 3 special effects supported that will take action automatically.
-"DMG: # <descriptor>" will apply ongoing damage of type <descriptor> at the beginning of a combatant's turn.
- "REGEN: #" will apply regeneration an the beginning of a combatant's turn.
- "RCHG: # <power>" is used by the ruleset to track recharge of NPC effects. This only works if you set up for NPCs, drag them to CT, then activate their powers or double-click the recharge field from the CT.

Let us know here or at the FUM site if you have more questions.

Cheers,
JPG

EugeneZ
September 20th, 2009, 01:49
Let me take a stab at answers for you.

A stab, huh? :p

Davian Goliath
September 20th, 2009, 05:02
Yeah...a stab! Wow...thanks for the thorough answer - that helped a lot.

Briefly...I am assuming that Start and End are start and end of the players next turn. What does End N signify?

Thanks very much for the information...I am really enjoying this and all the great community support is very encouraging!

Take care!

Tenian
September 20th, 2009, 17:54
End N = End of Next Turn.

Moon Wizard
September 20th, 2009, 18:02
Start, End and End N are relative to the initiative number associated with the effect. When you set an entry, the initiative number is typically set to the active combatant's initiative.

"End" will expire when the last combatant on that initiative becomes inactive.
"Start" will expire when the first combatant on that initiative becomes active.
"End N" will convert to "End" when the last combatant on that initiative becomes inactive.

One of these days, I will try to document this, but that's not the fun part of making rulesets. ;)

Cheers,
JPG

Davian Goliath
September 23rd, 2009, 12:16
Thanks for the answers, gentlemen...very helpful indeed.

Another quick one for you:

How do I handle entering a disease into 4E_JPG?

BTW, JPG...I may have some time to help you with the doc in a month or so, once I get more familiar with it. We'll have to see how much extra time I have.

Thanks again!

Tenian
September 23rd, 2009, 14:26
The only way to enter the description of a disease is via the parser.

To place a disease on a player, I always just add an effect with no expiration as a reminder to myself.