PDA

View Full Version : Test version available (2.6.0)

Goblin-King
September 16th, 2009, 13:31
Version 2.6.0
Hex grid support added. Both vertically and horizontally stacked hex grids are available. Along with this, there are new script functions, imagecontrol.getGridType and imagecontrol.setGridType. A helper function imagecontrol.getGridHexElementDimensions can be used for easier calculations on the hex grid, and imagecontrol.setGridToolType controls the kinds of grids placed on an individual image. The event onGridStateChanged is called whenever the grid type of an imagecontrol changes.
Token rotation can now be controlled from script. The functions imagecontrol.setTokenOrientationCount, tokeninstance.setOrientation and tokeninstance.getOrientation are available for this purpose.
Improved scripting support for images. New functions (in imagecontrol include preload, enableGridPlacement, getDrawingTool, setDrawingTool, deleteDrawing, setMaskEnabled, getMaskTool and setMaskTool. New events include onDrawStateChanged and onMaskingStateChanged.We know there are a multitude of conventions available for use on hex grids. This is a starting point, with basic functionality. We'll keep an eye on feedback and see what needs refining.

Use the test mode tool (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/TestModeManager.exe) to get yourself into test mode to access this version, and don't forget to back up testing campaigns.

Sigurd
September 16th, 2009, 14:47
Good to see.

Spyke
September 16th, 2009, 18:49
Very, very exciting news!

Spyke

unerwünscht
September 16th, 2009, 19:04
Anyone managed to get the download to work?
Its not updating for me (but I honestly think its an issue with security settings on my computer).

Spyke
September 16th, 2009, 19:35
I'm on a very slow hotel connection and I've just given up. I may have to wait until I get home at the weekend... <sigh>

Spyke

Valarian
September 16th, 2009, 20:47
I have and it's looking good so far. I've had a quick play with the hex grid. Looking very good.

EugeneZ
September 17th, 2009, 05:01
Call me an idiot but I can't find an option to use a hex grid in the foundation ruleset or base 3.5 ruleset. :confused:

Spyke
September 17th, 2009, 05:21
Call me an idiot but I can't find an option to use a hex grid in the foundation ruleset or base 3.5 ruleset. :confused:You need to click on the preferences button in the top right corner. There you can switch the grid from square to hex, and also toggle snap to grid.

My hotel connection's sped up this morning, so I've managed to update, hurrah!

The grid seems to work well, nice and simple and intuitive. It took me a bit of time to figure out how to get vertical hexes, but now I've sussed that I quite like it (when setting the grid, move the mouse around and you'll see the sample hex change between horizontal and vertical). However, it may be simpler just to have this as an option in the preferences. I can imagine some maps where you're trying to place the grid very accurately getting a bit fiddly if you're also trying to get the hex orientation right.

Snap-to-grid also works to the hex nodes as well as the centres. I can't see this being a problem during play, and I assume there are some games which require this.

One slight issue is that when you zoom into the map, the hex grid gets pixellated. This wasn't a problem with the square grid, presumably because it's just vertical or horizontal lines. One of the advantages of setting a grid in the application rather than simply adding it to the map beforehand is that it should be possible to zoom in with the grid redrawing accurately. (The other advantage of course is that you can snap to it, so it's still a big improvement.) Would redrawing the grid as you zoom, to keep the fine hex lines, add a big overhead?

Overall, great job! Now I've got to add the code to the GURPS ruleset... or my name will be mud.

:D

Spyke

Oberoten
September 17th, 2009, 09:29
I have to agree. It looks GOOD and while I haven't managed to get the preferences part of it to work with my now rather... OLD Ars Magica ruleset, I have managed to get the hex-grid to come up for me.

It works a charm.

Of course with no shading for movement etc, I am now even more in need of a ruler to see how far anyone can or can't move.

- Obe

EugeneZ
September 17th, 2009, 14:59
Thanks, Spyke! Good stuff. I've never played anything except DnD so don't have an immediate need for hex maps, but I've always been itching to use some house rules that allow hexes, just because it makes movement distances so much more realistic and sensible, especially in 4e. Good to know that's an option for me now. :)

demonsbane
September 17th, 2009, 16:43
Hex grids in Fantasy Grounds!

This was a very needed feature, so this is great to hear! Now it's time for testing!

Following this line Goblin King is speaking about, one day, FG 2 will have even some kind of sleek token facing feature (not "just" rotation") :cool:

EDIT: Hm, ATM there is some noticeable pixelation in the diagonal lines.

demonsbane
September 20th, 2009, 22:44
Seeing some of the new functionalities, I think token rotation vs. token facing (currently non-existent in the app) could be easily switched -from the user's point of view- in the new preferences menu, in the same way one can choose now between squares & hexes.

Spyke
September 22nd, 2009, 19:26
When setting a hex grid you need to make sure that you are neither zoomed out or in (i.e. the magnifying glass is not visible), otherwise the grid appears either smaller or larger than you expected when you dragged the sizing hex.

When setting the square grid this isn't an issue, the squares are set correctly regardless of the image zoom level. Can the hex grids work the same way or is the maths too arcane?

Spyke

Spyke
September 22nd, 2009, 19:28
It would be nice if there could be an additional Preferences option:

If hex grid, allow snap to center of hexes only.

(i.e. it would prevent the snap to the hex corner points which gets fiddly when the hexes are small.)

Spyke

Spyke
September 23rd, 2009, 22:36
Demonsbane's spotted an issue. When you have a hex grid the tokens are rotated in 12 steps on the Host side but only in 8 steps on the Client side, so the rotation for the GM gets out of sync with that seen by the player.

In imagewindow_image.lua both onInit() and onGridStateChanged() only set the orientation count if the user is the host. However, if I remove these I get an error message stating that the orientation count can't be set for the client. Is the problem in the FG application code itself?

Spyke

Spyke
September 23rd, 2009, 23:21
The Dungeon Theme extension needs an updated icon for Set Hex Grid (icon_gridhex.png).

Spyke

demonsbane
September 24th, 2009, 03:24
I want to second Spyke's feedback on Fantasy Grounds 2 test version (2.6.0).

Token rotation not matching between GM and players seems the most notorious issue to me (specially because there's no other way for handling facing, currently).

Regards

Goblin-King
September 24th, 2009, 12:55
There is a new version available.

Fixed the client token orientation count synchronization bug
Fixed hex grid placement in zoomed modePlease see if you can find further problems, otherwise this will go live soon.

Spyke
September 24th, 2009, 12:58
Excellent. Thanks for the quick turnaround!

Spyke

Spyke
September 24th, 2009, 13:08
I can confirm that those two bugs are fixed.

The version number didn't update, e.g. to 2.6.1, when I updated and there was no new version note. I'm not sure whether you intended it to change or remain as 2.6.0.

Spyke

demonsbane
September 24th, 2009, 16:07
I can confirm that those two bugs are fixed.

Me too. That was a fast fix!

The Scriven One
September 25th, 2009, 10:05
This makes me incredibly happy. I'm testing it now.

I have a game that I'm developing that uses a hex grid extensively, and this will make playtesting easier.

Along with that playtesting, I'll certainly develop a ruleset for it, which will be available later.

I'm glad that FG is taking this turn. It's long been my favorite VTT, and this makes it hands down the best.

Rock on!