PDA

View Full Version : Savage Worlds Ruleset v3

Thore_Ironrock
September 13th, 2009, 21:56
The Savage Worlds Ruleset v3 is now ready for sale and upgrade! The new ruleset is now for sale via the Digital Adventures Online Store, and OBS stores for new customers. Current SW ruleset customers please read below.

Please read through this posting carefully to fully understand the upgrade process for existing customers.

The Ruleset
Because SW now uses the SWEXP ruleset, this is the only version of the ruleset we'll be selling going forward. Those who bought the SW-Core ruleset should receive upgrade information. Regarding other SW modules, they should all work with this new version, but if you find a problem please contact Digital Adventures at [email protected]

Upgrades
Depending on where you bought your copy of a SW ruleset, you'll receive your information differently. If you do not receive upgrade information by Sept 19th, 2009, please contact the store where you made your purchase (see below)

OBS: Those that bought through One Book Shelf should receive their upgrade download info via that store's upgrade tool. This includes RPGNow, DTRPG, and affiliate stores. Any problems please contact Digital Adventures at [email protected]

FG Store: The upgrade files have been sent to SmiteWorks, and they'll push out the upgrade to those customers. Any questions on receiving your information contact [email protected].

DA Store: Those who bought from the Digital Adventures store should receive an email in the next 48 hours with download information. Any problems please contact Digital Adventures at [email protected]

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE ON UPGRADING
Prior to running the SW3 installer, please move, rename, or delete your existing SW ruleset and module files. If the installer detects files or folders of the same name, those files will not be upgraded.

NOTE TO OBS CUSTOMERS
For the time being, there are actually two copies of this product up for sale on RPGNow and DTRPG. This is because of the hassle in combining the two previous versions of the ruleset, one for the Core Rules and one for SWEXP. Once all customers have the upgraded product, the two products will be combined.

Thanks to all who helped in getting this product completed and to the community!

ProfMarks
September 14th, 2009, 00:15
Awesome ruleset Kevin. Looks like several new features that I can't wait to use. Will there also be a current FAQ to go over the new functionality?

Thore_Ironrock
September 14th, 2009, 00:20
Awesome ruleset Kevin. Looks like several new features that I can't wait to use. Will there also be a current FAQ to go over the new functionality?

Umm ... maybe? I can't find it at the moment. Sorry. I'll have to work with the guys to get it compiled again after the upgrade support has died down some. I'll also see if I can get them to post a few things to this thread. When it is done I'll probably post it over at www.savageworldsonline.net.

Thanks!

Illrigger
September 15th, 2009, 16:39
Got my upgrade. Thanks for the continued support, Kevin and co!

Ged
September 16th, 2009, 12:19
Emails containing the upgrades were sent out today.

longarms
September 17th, 2009, 00:02
"VERY IMPORTANT NOTE ON UPGRADING
Prior to running the SW3 installer, please move, rename, or delete your existing SW ruleset and module files. If the installer detects files or folders of the same name, those files will not be upgraded."

Can you be more specific about what files we should delete before running the installer. Do you mean the entire folder named "savageworlds" in the directory ...application data/fantasygrounds II/rulesets. Any other folders, if so, can you be specific as to which ones?

Please note that I ran the installer without moving any files. So I may need special instructions as to what to do now. I have the folders "savageworlds" and "savageworlds3" in the above-mentioned directory.

Foen
September 17th, 2009, 06:10
Whenever upgrading using the installer, *over an existing version of the same ruleset*, you need to delete or rename just the ruleset folder. SW3 is installed as a new ruleset (it isn't the same as SWEX or SW), so you don't need to take that precautionary step.

Hope that helps,

Stuart

Thore_Ironrock
September 17th, 2009, 11:45
I've gotten several emails now from DriveThruRPG customers that they have not received emails from the OBS system. When a publisher updates a product all previous customers should get an email stating such. I updated those files last weekend, so go to your account and re-download.

In the meantime I'm going to contact OBS and see what the issue might be. It seems that every time I try to do an upgrade via their delightful automated system, something goes wrong.

Please email me if you are an OBS customer (DriveThruRPG/RPGNow) and do not have access to an upgraded file in your account.

rundeks
September 17th, 2009, 12:39
Kevin,

I have never received an email from OBS telling me any product I purchased was updated. Luckily I discovered the Updated Products Page a while ago by accident. So I have always had to go and look for updates on their site. So I don't think there update email feature works or is something people have to turn on.

Thore_Ironrock
September 17th, 2009, 14:16
Kevin,

I have never received an email from OBS telling me any product I purchased was updated. Luckily I discovered the Updated Products Page a while ago by accident. So I have always had to go and look for updates on their site. So I don't think there update email feature works or is something people have to turn on.

There is (or was, not sure of the status) a setting on a user's OBS account that effectively hides customer information from the publisher. Because of this, I don't have a comprehensive list of customers for my products. OBS compensates for this by having these tools that are supposed to contact the customers for you when products are upgraded or for other reason.

In the five years I've been doing Digital Adventures I've had it work correctly about 2 in 10 times. When I did the updates for the CSRD it completely failed, so when I did the upgrade for Savage Worlds v2 I did them all via my store -- and I received a very nasty letter from OBS saying that in doing this I was violating their TOS agreement and they were going to terminate my account. I explained my displeasure with past upgrade attempts, and in the end they backed off.

In retrospect, wonder if I should have just let them can me. When I have the time I guess I'll be composing what is probably my 10th complaint letter regarding their system. Sigh ...

Sorry to any of my customers that have had issues with DA upgrades.

longarms
September 17th, 2009, 16:22
perhaps the customers that did not receive the email checked a box long ago that said "do not send me product news via email".

Thore_Ironrock
September 17th, 2009, 16:26
perhaps the customers that did not receive the email checked a box long ago that said "do not send me product news via email".

They have different ways of contacting customers, ah la marketing about new products and other publisher news. That is what this blocks. The file update process is supposed to cover everyone, from what they told me.

mac40k
September 17th, 2009, 17:22
Just checking out the new functionality and I think it's a great (not perfect) upgrade. The new mini sheet combined with quick keys means that you can now actually play without the character sheet open, saving desktop real estate. The new raise damage functionality saves you having to roll that separately or else having to maintain duplicate weapon entries for damage, one with the raise and one without. The modifiers sheet is great for keeping track of those situational modifiers that only apply in certain circumstances, again freeing you up from having to remember to manually apply those or else maintain duplicate skills to have versions both with and without modifiers applied, especially since there are situations where multiple modifiers could apply.

It would be neat if the bennies image could be swapped out by the GM so that custom bennies could be used, but that is minor. The Strafe template would be nice too for Necropolis and Weird Wars, but I realize that most games don't need it, so it wasn't a priority the way the cone template was.

About the only thing I haven't been able to figure out on my own is the use of the Effects (or FX) sheet. I'm just not getting it.

Foen
September 17th, 2009, 17:49
The effects list allows the GM to keep a list of combat effects handy, to drag and drop on the combat tracker. The combat tracker effects have three entries: Name/description (such as 'Stunned' or 'Invisible'); Value; and Ticks/round. Each round the value is incremented by the ticks/round, and if it becomes zero, the effect is removed. Typically a GM would put a duration in the Value field and -1 in the Ticks/round field.

The Effects list has exactly the same entries.

Hope that helps,

Stuart

Thore_Ironrock
September 18th, 2009, 02:40
It would be neat if the bennies image could be swapped out by the GM so that custom bennies could be used, but that is minor. The Strafe template would be nice too for Necropolis and Weird Wars, but I realize that most games don't need it, so it wasn't a priority the way the cone template was.

We're working on moving the different versions of the bennies to an extension. As for Necropolis, at the moment I don't have a license agreement with TAG for this world, but we are putting the strafe template on the list for the future.

Thanks for the comments!

Sigurd
September 18th, 2009, 03:08
I'm pretty sure I bought through the ENWorld storefront for OBS

It lists the ruleset as awaiting my review but doesn't show up in the updated list or the list of everything I've bought.

S

Thore_Ironrock
September 18th, 2009, 03:34
I'm pretty sure I bought through the ENWorld storefront for OBS

It lists the ruleset as awaiting my review but doesn't show up in the updated list or the list of everything I've bought.
S

Unfortunately, that is an OBS issue. If a product you bought is not on the list, then I would contact them along with your email receipt (if you have it). The SW product numbers have remained the same since v1 of the ruleset, so the customer list should be correct.

Email me off the forums if you have any problems with them. If your email address isn't hidden from the publisher, I might be able to confirm your purchase on my end.

longarms
September 18th, 2009, 07:22
I am pleased to see that the wild die automatically rolls, but the chat window only reports the higher of the two dice. It really cleans up the chat window, which should speed up combat a bit.

Doswelk
September 18th, 2009, 08:21
I am pleased to see that the wild die automatically rolls, but the chat window only reports the higher of the two dice. It really cleans up the chat window, which should speed up combat a bit.

Useful Tip - Character has an M-16 and wants to fire full auto:

According to the rules you roll 3 shooting dice and 1 wild die, (this PC has shooting d8)

1) click (and hold the left mouse button) on the shooting icon (to the left of the weapon entry) this will pick up your shooting skill die and a d6 (assuming you have wild die toggle on)

2) whilst holding down the left mouse button click right click twice

3) You will now have three shooting dice and one wild die

Roll the dice.

This has been the greatest time saver in our Dark*Matter firefights!

(noticed I forgot to apply auto-fire penalty to modifier before I rolled PC must have rock-and-roll :p)

longarms
September 18th, 2009, 19:18
thank you for the tip.

Question - on the mini sheet there is an icon that says "apply wound modifiers". Its a five point star with an arrow. How do you use this?

joshuha
September 18th, 2009, 21:14
thank you for the tip.

Question - on the mini sheet there is an icon that says "apply wound modifiers". Its a five point star with an arrow. How do you use this?

I believe if you are wounded it will apply the penalty to the next roll in the chat window.

longarms
September 19th, 2009, 00:35
Ok, so you have to press the five star button every time you roll.

Is there an option to "lock" the button down so that it will automatically apply your wound penalty to every roll?

Astinus
September 19th, 2009, 04:49
Ok, so you have to press the five star button every time you roll.

Is there an option to "lock" the button down so that it will automatically apply your wound penalty to every roll?

Not that I can see, but I'm new to Savage Worlds. However, you can drag that star button to a hotkey, and the hotkey automatically updates to reflect any changes in the number of wounds. Makes it a bit easier to apply.

Can someone please explain the purpose of the "+Damage" dice beside the mod box? Maybe I'd work it out if I knew the game better, but I don't ;)

longarms
September 19th, 2009, 18:44
"Can someone please explain the purpose of the "+Damage" dice beside the mod box? Maybe I'd work it out if I knew the game better, but I don't "

I think I can help with this one. If you hit with a raise, e.g. 4 over the target number, you get to roll an extra d6 damage. So, you click the +Damage button after scoring a raise, and when you roll damage the extra die is automatically thrown with the normal damage die for that weapon.

ProfMarks
September 20th, 2009, 03:37
Used the ruleset in my first game today, and I have to say I love it. Great new quality features. Well done!

Astinus
September 20th, 2009, 05:28
I think I can help with this one. If you hit with a raise, e.g. 4 over the target number, you get to roll an extra d6 damage. So, you click the +Damage button after scoring a raise, and when you roll damage the extra die is automatically thrown with the normal damage die for that weapon.

Ahh, thanks longarms. That's a very nice feature, in a really good ruleset.

ProfMarks
September 20th, 2009, 06:58
One thing I have noted, is it appears that modifiers entered into the star don't fire if you grab die and throw them. They do apply if you fire the roll from the character sheet or a hotkey linked back to it. Don't know if this is as intended or not, but thought I'd mention it if others saw the same thing.

Valarian
September 20th, 2009, 07:44
"Can someone please explain the purpose of the "+Damage" dice beside the mod box? Maybe I'd work it out if I knew the game better, but I don't "

Does this throw more dice if you get 2 raises?
e.g. 2 raises = 2d6 more, 3 raises = 3d6 more.

ProfMarks
September 20th, 2009, 12:36
Does this throw more dice if you get 2 raises?
e.g. 2 raises = 2d6 more, 3 raises = 3d6 more.

Only one raise matters on an attack roll in Savage Worlds per the RAW. Subsequent raises don't translate into additional damage die.

Astinus
September 20th, 2009, 21:19
One thing I have noted, is it appears that modifiers entered into the star don't fire if you grab die and throw them. They do apply if you fire the roll from the character sheet or a hotkey linked back to it. Don't know if this is as intended or not, but thought I'd mention it if others saw the same thing.

Interesting. I'm guessing it's intentional? Maybe you'd hit the star to apply the wound modifier, then realize you have to roll for something else, and as it is the modifier doesn't get in the way.

In practice, you could hit the "star" wound modifier at any time, even immediately after your attack, and it would just sit there until you next rolled your Fighting skill. And as it sits there, waiting for your Skill roll, it auto adjusts if you change your Wounds. Pretty cool.

ProfMarks
September 20th, 2009, 21:23
Interesting. I'm guessing it's intentional? Maybe you'd hit the star to apply the wound modifier, then realize you have to roll for something else, and as it is the modifier doesn't get in the way.

In practice, you could hit the "star" wound modifier at any time, even immediately after your attack, and it would just sit there until you next rolled your Fighting skill. And as it sits there, waiting for your Skill roll, it auto adjusts if you change your Wounds. Pretty cool.

All true, but I was referring to the normal modifier star, not the wound/fatigue one.

mayhembro
September 21st, 2009, 16:34
I love FG and the SW V3 ruleset. I ran my first game with them last night, and it was a blast.

I did notice that when trying to deal initiative with unowned or offline PCs in the tracker, the cards would not deal and I'd get error messages. I could deal the cards directly to each player, but the tracker would not do it automatically. Is this a known bug?

Also, are players supposed to be able to have more than one character in a session? One of my players volunteered to run a PC for my blind friend who doesn't have FG. I created a PC as GM for my friend, which shows unowned, but the other player couldn't access it. Any suggestions, or are players limited to one active character per session?

TaranShannara
September 21st, 2009, 18:29
I also ran into this problem trying to use two characters for someone who had to drop off the session. The person released it, but I wasn't able to see it on the character selection screen. The GM could see it though and it was unowned.

Also, are players supposed to be able to have more than one character in a session? One of my players volunteered to run a PC for my blind friend who doesn't have FG. I created a PC as GM for my friend, which shows unowned, but the other player couldn't access it. Any suggestions, or are players limited to one active character per session?

Astinus
September 21st, 2009, 20:32
All true, but I was referring to the normal modifier star, not the wound/fatigue one.

Ahh, okay. Well that feels like a bug. It's a break from how it works in other rulesets.

Astinus
September 25th, 2009, 05:54
Exploring this great ruleset some more, and a few questions have popped up.

I'm assuming there's no way to combine combats on the one tracker (eg combine PCs with bad guys), like you can in d20_jpg or foundation? So if I'm preparing different combats, I'd have to drop the PCs on each separate combat that I create?

Secondly, on the combat tracker, under each portrait is the letter "v" with a check box next to it. What's this for?

Thanks in advance.

Doswelk
September 25th, 2009, 19:22
Secondly, on the combat tracker, under each portrait is the letter "v" with a check box next to it. What's this for?
It's a while since I've used that as I tend not to hide from the players...

From memory:

'v' means parry and toughness are visible
'n' means players cannot see them
'u' changes the name on the tracker to unknown.

You have to click on the letter to change it

Astinus
September 26th, 2009, 04:18
Thanks Doswelk.

Invain63
October 2nd, 2009, 03:09
I am considering purchasing the new SW v3 plus Zombie Run to play around Halloween. I have a couple of questions, though.

1) Will Zombie Run work well with v3?

2) What is this "FULL license (for Fantasy Grounds) product" thing all about. I have the full license, but like most people my players all have lite. If it is just a matter of off line character creation that probably won't be an issue since I will most likely supply pregen characters for the adventure.

Thanks!

-Kevin McD

Doswelk
October 2nd, 2009, 11:38
1) Will Zombie Run work well with v3? I am currently running Through The Cathode Ray tube and that is fine, the SW3 ruleset is designed to be compatible with modules written with the older ruleset.

2) What is this "FULL license (for Fantasy Grounds) product" thing all about. I have the full license, but like most people my players all have lite. If it is just a matter of off line character creation that probably won't be an issue since I will most likely supply pregen characters for the adventure. There is no requirement to have full licenses to be a player with SW3 ruleset. My group have lite licenses so if we are planning a campaign they just connect to me to create their characters.

philth
October 9th, 2009, 17:11
hey just wanted to chime in with some notes. I used the original ruleset to run a campaign a couple years back, and have just played 2 sessions with the new reuleset. I miss the ability to have all the dice ace! I found that if I just use the dice on the bottom they won't ace, throw a wild die (even with the toggle on), or add the +d6 raise bonus when applied.

Now I know that it works correctly when the dice are rolled off of the pc sheet, so why is this an issue....the bolt spell! When my pc throws 2 bolts I need to roll 2 faith dice and one wild die. In the other version I could just right click on the appropriate die, tell it to roll 2 of the selected die type, make sure the toggle for the wild die was on and bob's your uncle. Also damage for powers do not get the extra +d6 for raises....except for the bolt spell. But the new version can't tell the differnce and doesn't apply the +d6 to any power damage. As a work around I had to make different entries on my pc sheet in the weapons section for my bolt spell in order to get the proper amount of dice to roll and work as needed (for example I have a 3 bolt version that I put 3d8+d6, d8 is my faith die, and a 2 bolt version that has 2d8+d6) problem there being I put them in the damage column, so when I roll them it annouces it as a damage roll in the chat window.

None of this would be necessary if the dice worked like they used to in the old version.....sorry thats my only gripe, otherwise great job ;)

Doswelk
October 9th, 2009, 22:53
Now I know that it works correctly when the dice are rolled off of the pc sheet, so why is this an issue....the bolt spell! When my pc throws 2 bolts I need to roll 2 faith dice and one wild die. In the other version I could just right click on the appropriate die, tell it to roll 2 of the selected die type, make sure the toggle for the wild die was on and bob's your uncle. Also damage for powers do not get the extra +d6 for raises....except for the bolt spell. But the new version can't tell the differnce and doesn't apply the +d6 to any power damage. As a work around I had to make different entries on my pc sheet in the weapons section for my bolt spell in order to get the proper amount of dice to roll and work as needed (for example I have a 3 bolt version that I put 3d8+d6, d8 is my faith die, and a 2 bolt version that has 2d8+d6) problem there being I put them in the damage column, so when I roll them it annouces it as a damage roll in the chat window.

Hmmm, If i wanted to roll 2 faith die and the d6 wild die I pick up the dice of the character sheet and then press the right mouse button this adds an extra die (d8) in this case and then roll them.

The two die and the d6 are then rolled and any aces rolled again. This does not work if I added just 1d8 +1d6 to a shortcut but I can create a shortcut for each one.

We discovered this when we were trying to do auto-fire I thought it was the best feature in the rule set!

Praxi
October 12th, 2009, 00:47
I'm brand new to FG 2 and SW ruleset on FG. In my tabletop game, I have run Zombie Run, and my Savaged Dark Heresy campaign. So far with a little help from Kevin to get my ruleset squared away, I've managed to get everything installed and functional. I did purchase Zombie Run from digital adventures and loaded it as a module. From what I can tell, it just adds story entries. I'm planning on running this through FG this weekend. Tried to make a few characters, but I'm not really sure how it works. I've watched the videos from X. Like do I just enter my Edges, Skills, and Gear by hand on the character sheet? When I played with the 3.5e ruleset testing out FG2, the feats and stuff were selectable, and interacted with the character sheet. Do the other rulesets not do this?

I am considering purchasing the new SW v3 plus Zombie Run to play around Halloween. I have a couple of questions, though.

1) Will Zombie Run work well with v3?

2) What is this "FULL license (for Fantasy Grounds) product" thing all about. I have the full license, but like most people my players all have lite. If it is just a matter of off line character creation that probably won't be an issue since I will most likely supply pregen characters for the adventure.

Thanks!

-Kevin McD

philth
October 13th, 2009, 00:54
Hmmm, If i wanted to roll 2 faith die and the d6 wild die I pick up the dice of the character sheet and then press the right mouse button this adds an extra die (d8) in this case and then roll them.

The two die and the d6 are then rolled and any aces rolled again. This does not work if I added just 1d8 +1d6 to a shortcut but I can create a shortcut for each one.

We discovered this when we were trying to do auto-fire I thought it was the best feature in the rule set!
didn't dawn on me to right click the dice in the pc sheet:dead:
Have to give it a shot next session...just used to it not being an issue, dunno. Maybe I just need more time with the new version, but as of now I prefer the old way; didn't have to think about it, just rolled the dice from wherever it was convenient.

Doswelk
October 13th, 2009, 01:22
didn't dawn on me to right click the dice in the pc sheet:dead:
Have to give it a shot next session...just used to it not being an issue, dunno. Maybe I just need more time with the new version, but as of now I prefer the old way; didn't have to think about it, just rolled the dice from wherever it was convenient.

For me this version is the one I'm used to (been play testing this version for quite sometime now), whenever I had to go back to older (for checking a problem with NE/Shaintar) was shocked how different it was! Give it time after a while like me I think you will get to prefer it.

Doswelk
October 13th, 2009, 01:25
I'm brand new to FG 2 and SW ruleset on FG. In my tabletop game, I have run Zombie Run, and my Savaged Dark Heresy campaign. So far with a little help from Kevin to get my ruleset squared away, I've managed to get everything installed and functional. I did purchase Zombie Run from digital adventures and loaded it as a module. From what I can tell, it just adds story entries. I'm planning on running this through FG this weekend. Tried to make a few characters, but I'm not really sure how it works. I've watched the videos from X. Like do I just enter my Edges, Skills, and Gear by hand on the character sheet? When I played with the 3.5e ruleset testing out FG2, the feats and stuff were selectable, and interacted with the character sheet. Do the other rulesets not do this?

What time-zone are you in ? I'm in the UK, if in a "friendly" time-zone I can connect and help you through it.

Failing that we'll see waht we can do here...

Praxi
October 13th, 2009, 02:51
I'm in PST (GMT-8). I'm usually available evenings my time from 7pm to Midnight, anything goes on the weekends :)

Doswelk
October 14th, 2009, 16:30
If my sums are right (most likely not) I'd need to be around 3am (your 7pm), oh well need my sleep...

We shall have to do it the "hard" way!

Skills: if you open the SWEX players guide in the library and then open "Skills listing"

Open a character sheet and change to the skills tab, you can now drag the skills you can now drag a skill to the character sheet by dragging the round icon next to the skill name, then you can change the dice, if you have an edge or hindrance that apply a modifer to that dice roll (all the time) then you can then right mouse button on the die icon and select Bonuses, then you can add a description to the bonus and the modifier.

Edges: Open Edges and then the relevant edge listing e.g. Background Edges you can now drag the edges to the character sheet.

Hindrances: Similar to edges (but of course using hindrances)

Powers: Drag a power from the power listing to the Power Tab on the main sheet.

Hope that's a good starter....

Praxi
October 16th, 2009, 10:03
That was great thanks! Now just working on figuring out what works and what doesn't :) Like the Hindrances don't seem to add to my derived stats (Had a player take Brawny and it didn't add to his toughness.) Going to start reading the thread again see what I missed.

Doswelk
October 16th, 2009, 17:56
That was great thanks! Now just working on figuring out what works and what doesn't :) Like the Hindrances don't seem to add to my derived stats (Had a player take Brawny and it didn't add to his toughness.) Going to start reading the thread again see what I missed.

To my knowledge the only Edge that affects the rule set is Level-Headed (in fact just testing that I noticed that Improved Level-Headed does not work! :()

Adding Obese/Brawny etc do not make changes to the character sheet. Fighting skill does affect Parry and Vigor modifies toughness (both on the base stats side of the derived stats)

Charisma does not seem to be modified by edges (again the system to code this I imagine would be quite tricky)

Praxi
October 16th, 2009, 20:20
OK, not a big deal to just have the players total their stats. Going to run my first Zombie Run session with this tonight, so trying to get all the easy questions out of the way :)

Playing with the combat tracker, how come every time I make a new combat, it adds a blank personality to the tracker? Am I supposed to be doing this some other way? And as far as initiative goes, will the system automatically shuffle the deck when a Joker is drawn? And is there a way to deal everyone at once?

Thanks for all the help and input on this, everyones excited to be playing again :)

Praxi
October 16th, 2009, 20:26
ahh nm answered my own question on the combat tracker, first couple of times I ran through it, just didn't get a joker before the combat was over.

Invain63
October 16th, 2009, 21:58
<snip>From what I can tell, it just adds story entries.

It is a bit more than that (it has maps) but not much more. Here is what I would have liked to have seen:

1) custom tokens - zombies, gang members, etc

2) Rules integration - the new skills, edges, etc from the adventure should show up in the library so they can be dragged to character sheets.

3) Maps that don't have the grid embedded in the image - I am having to go through the maps and erase the grid so I can use the one that's part of FG2.

4) More maps - there are plenty of places in the adventure where the author expects the GM to quickly set up an ad-hoc battle mat. This isn't particularly easy to do in FG2, so more pregenerated battle maps would have been a good thing. Places like the bridge/tunnel traffic jam, grocery store and street, exterior of the Baxter Building, etc.

After all, I bought the adventure because I am too lazy to do it for myself! :)

-Kevin McD

Praxi
October 16th, 2009, 22:14
More questions related to initiative and feats. Does quick work on its own, or do I need to account for it? How should I be dealing with level headed?

VenomousFiligree
October 16th, 2009, 22:30
It would appear Level Headed and Improved Level Headed work, if dragged from the Players Guide to the PC sheet.

It looks like Quick doesn't :(

Praxi
October 17th, 2009, 00:39
hmm that could be problematic. Can I use the card tokens and replace it maybe? That would probably be difficult at best, and might screw up card counts, not that it would matter too much I guess.

Also, how do I assign wounds to someone? I realized I was doing it like I saw in Xorns Video (dragging and dropping the damage on a player) and I was giving players like 9 wounds lol.

joshuha
October 17th, 2009, 01:22
From what I remember Level Headed is built into the deals and quick is simulated by re-dealing with the right click option in the combat tracker. I think it was done this way as Level Headed so you use the best card while Quick says you MAY choose to discard and redraw. Since its a choice you can't automate it.

Invain63
October 17th, 2009, 05:05
A couple of questions:

Is there a manual or help file for the Savage Worlds ruleset? Figuring out how everything works is a bit frustrating at times.

How does the modifier stack work in this ruleset? It doesn't appear to affect regular dice - only things rolled from character sheets.

What is the +damage thing next to the modifier stack and how does it work?

Thanks!

-Kevin McD

VenomousFiligree
October 17th, 2009, 07:56
hmm that could be problematic. Can I use the card tokens and replace it maybe? That would probably be difficult at best, and might screw up card counts, not that it would matter too much I guess.
You can right click the card in the combat tracker and choose "Deal", however it wont resort the intiative order. To get round this you can manually move the turn indicator rather than choosing "next"

Also, how do I assign wounds to someone? I realized I was doing it like I saw in Xorns Video (dragging and dropping the damage on a player) and I was giving players like 9 wounds lol.
As SW does not use straight damage = wounds the only way (afiak) to track wounds is manually on the tracker or PCs sheet

Is there a manual or help file for the Savage Worlds ruleset? Figuring out how everything works is a bit frustrating at times.
I know V2 came with one in the zip file, I don't think V3 does

How does the modifier stack work in this ruleset? It doesn't appear to affect regular dice - only things rolled from character sheets.
The modifier only works with entries from the Sheets, these can be dragged to quick slots, where it still works.

What is the +damage thing next to the modifier stack and how does it work?
If a raise is rolled on the fighting/throwing/shooting roll click the + damage prior to rolling damage and the extra d6 will be rolled.

Praxi
October 17th, 2009, 10:10
good info thanks Murg. 1 question that I had after playing tonight, how do I make a group in the combat tracker? It was annoying as all getup rolling initiative for 20 different zombies.

VenomousFiligree
October 17th, 2009, 10:22
good info thanks Murg. 1 question that I had after playing tonight, how do I make a group in the combat tracker? It was annoying as all getup rolling initiative for 20 different zombies.
See image below, drag A to B :)

Praxi
October 17th, 2009, 11:20
Beautiful thanks!

Griogre
October 17th, 2009, 19:47
You use the same method to assign extras to players. IE if you are running Pirates you would assign crew to each player.
https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/Griogre/CTExtra01.png

The extra lists automatically opens and closes depending on who is the current player. You can over-ride this behavior by clicking on the extra button to tell the tracker to leave the extra list open. You can see I did that to open up the Black Queen's crew. You also can drag the "button" from the personality list directly to the tracker without having to open the personality.
https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/Griogre/CTExtra02.png

Finally, for extra's you may find it worthwhile *not* to put every one on the tracker. Just put a representative for each type since a single hit will drop them any way or if for some reason you do need an individual extra on the tracker you can just add it by opening up the representative and dropping another copy to the combat tracker. The only trick is to make sure the "representative" is the last one to go down or don't put him on the map at all.
https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/Griogre/CTExtra03.png

Invain63
October 18th, 2009, 19:54
If a raise is rolled on the fighting/throwing/shooting roll click the + damage prior to rolling damage and the extra d6 will be rolled.

Ah! That makes sense. Thanks!

-Kevin McD

Astinus
October 18th, 2009, 21:59
You use the same method to assign extras to players. IE if you are running Pirates you would assign crew to each player.

Thanks for the images, Griogre. I'd like to hear how you prepare combats before games. Do you pre-save encounters on the tracker (I think it's the encounter tab, not at my computer right now), and if so, how do you merge them with the players characters? I couldn't see any way to combine two trackers.

Praxi
October 22nd, 2009, 08:28
Has there been any word about allowing players to control more than one character?

Casamordius
November 11th, 2009, 22:47
We also run into the problem that players cannot control more than one character. I miss this very much because as GM I start another FG client to play all the major NPCs and it is quite usual that players play teh PC of absent players. Can you fix this problem? It is quite annoying.

sppeterson
December 3rd, 2009, 21:11
I received the upgrade code back in September, but didn't get around to downloading it until now -- and now the DA store is gone!

Is there a spot for me to log in with the code at the new store?

Thore_Ironrock
December 3rd, 2009, 21:48
Contact [email protected]. All DA store customers and purchase information was sent to SWUSA.

Casamordius
December 3rd, 2009, 22:23
We also run into the problem that players cannot control more than one character. I miss this very much because as GM I start another FG client to play all the major NPCs and it is quite usual that players play teh PC of absent players. Can you fix this problem? It is quite annoying.

is there a solution? :-)

sppeterson
December 4th, 2009, 00:46
Contact [email protected]. All DA store customers and purchase information was sent to SWUSA.

Got it -- thanks!

ddavison
December 4th, 2009, 01:00
is there a solution? :-)

We will be looking into a solution for this with an upcoming release. We are updating the core Savage Worlds Ruleset as part of a release for Deadlands Reloaded, which will be an extension.

philth
December 5th, 2009, 17:30
We will be looking into a solution for this with an upcoming release. We are updating the core Savage Worlds Ruleset as part of a release for Deadlands Reloaded, which will be an extension.

Did u say Deadlands? When?:square:

ddavison
December 7th, 2009, 15:05
It is in the works.

TaranShannara
December 28th, 2009, 22:58
Would it be possible to get another tab added on the character sheet? A new one along with [Main|Skills|Inventory|Notes] add Advancement.

Would be great to be able to track advances of the character without having to clutter up the notes page. Just a text format.

For example:
0 XP: Just starting out
5 XP: Gained new edge
10 XP: Increased Smarts from d6 to d8.
etc.

Doswelk
December 29th, 2009, 00:10
We use the Notes tab for that (now that the rule set has dedicated notes for players to use).

TaranShannara
December 29th, 2009, 03:17
Hmm. I was using the notes tab for notes. Maybe I should, as you suggest, use the generic notes for my game notes; and then that frees up the tab for the advancements.

Any downsides to this approach?

Doswelk
December 29th, 2009, 20:00
Not to my experience, the ability to share the notes is useful to my players...

Each to their own (not saying the advancement tab is not a good idea!) I do not know what changes are/will be done to the ruleset just thought it may help...

VenomousFiligree
April 2nd, 2011, 09:33
Useful Tip - Character has an M-16 and wants to fire full auto:

According to the rules you roll 3 shooting dice and 1 wild die, (this PC has shooting d8)

1) click (and hold the left mouse button) on the shooting icon (to the left of the weapon entry) this will pick up your shooting skill die and a d6 (assuming you have wild die toggle on)

2) whilst holding down the left mouse button click right click twice

3) You will now have three shooting dice and one wild die

Roll the dice.

This has been the greatest time saver in our Dark*Matter firefights!

(noticed I forgot to apply auto-fire penalty to modifier before I rolled PC must have rock-and-roll :p)

This also works if you drag to a hot key, however, what would be the /die code to get the same effect?