PDA

View Full Version : Ruleset modifications

TheTree
September 11th, 2009, 21:31
I am totally new to XML and LUA but I am pretty decent at figuring things out. I know VB which I know is totally different but I have a logically thinking mind and am willing to trudge through the help files and reference material but I am having a hard time getting started.

My issue is this. I can't seem to determine what files or scripts are used to create character sheets or any new item for that matter. I have looked through the character sheet xml and lua files but I can't seem to find what creates the db entries or what creates the db in the first place.

My goal at the moment is to take the 4E ruleset (because I like all its features) and modify it for 3.5 characters and NPCs. I know that may be a lot to bite off for a newb but I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I tried taking the 4e character sheet xmls and lua and replacing them with the 3.5 ones and it semi seems to work but the character sheets come up with a bunch of node not found errors for most of the fields hence the DB creation question.

Anyway if someone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

Griogre
September 11th, 2009, 22:26
The d20_JPG ruleset has already done what you want to do. It's made by the same person, Moon Wizard who did the 4E ruleset. To get it go over to FUM and join the 3.5 development group.

TheTree
September 12th, 2009, 00:14
Wow not sure how missed that before. I am still interested in learning but that certainly changes the priority. Exactly what I was looking for, thanks.

Foen
September 12th, 2009, 06:14
To answer your question about how db entries are created, they are created implicitly by the rendering engine: if you define a field on the charsheet which is linked to the db, the engine creates the db node and populates it with the contents of the field.

Most window controls therefore come in two 'flavours': bound controls (which usually end in the word 'field'); and unbound controls (which usually end in the word 'control'). Strings, for example, are handled using 'stringcontrol' or 'stringfield' window controls, the first of which just renders on the screen and the second of which will render, create and populate an underlying db node.

Hope that helps

Foen