PDA

View Full Version : Activating ruleset modules

Marimar
September 9th, 2009, 13:47
I'm sure this has been answered before, but I just cant find the answer in the forums.

I have just purchased the latest full rule license.
Downloaded for for example WFRP2_3.01_Final ruleset and copied the content to the ruleset catalogue on my computer.

I create a new campaign, choose Warhammer ruleset and hosts a game.
Everything loads fine, except I when I want to open the rules differrent modules (where basic rules, monsters, spells etc) normally is, it's empty??

Shouldnt I be able to open the rulebooks for reference?

What am I missing?

Hope someone can help.

Leonal
September 9th, 2009, 14:40
There are usually no rulebook/adventure modules for community made rulesets publicly available that I know of due to legal issues so you will have to make them yourself, or have the books nearby or as pdfs.

If you have modules, see Tenian's explanation below.
edited: I forgot about the one's you can get from Nezzir that Sorontar mentioned.

Tenian
September 9th, 2009, 14:48
I'm not sure what your exact problem is:

1) You click on the Library icon on the lower right hand side of the screen and no books are present:

If this is the problem, then it's probably just a matter of opening/activating the modules. If you go the the upper right hand side of the screen there is a usually a button to do so (titled Activate Modules, Modules, or something similar). Click on this button and then on the screen that pictures all the modules, slide the book to open.

2) There are no modules in the module activation window (upper right hand side of the screen):

If this is the problem there are three likely problems:

a) You did not copy the .mod files to the modules directory. The fix is to copy them to the correct directory

b) When you extracted the ruleset you placed it in a directory who's name does not match the ruleset tag within the module. FGII uses the directory name of a ruleset to match the module. If you extracted to WHFR and it expected WH_FR then your modules will not work. The fix is to find the correct directory name and then rename your ruleset directory.

c) The ruleset does not include any reference materials. Due to IP/Copyright laws distributing reference material can be difficult. Many rulesets do not include modules for this reason. The fix is to create the modules yourself....a long and often painful process.

Sorontar
September 9th, 2009, 14:56
From what I recall that ruleset doesn't come with any mod files but IIRC Nezzir (?) has the mod files for peeps that can prove they have the books.

Marimar
September 9th, 2009, 15:38
So basically if you want to play with the reference books in Fantasy Grounds, you'll have to play 3.5 rules, which are basically D&D 3.5 rules, right?

We were considering either D&D 3.5, 4.0 or warhammer for this, but are there any mod files available for those?

Tenian
September 9th, 2009, 15:50
There's a program for making modules for DnD 4E. Depending on the amount of information you want available within FGII, you may be looking at a fair amount of effort.

Some information on 3.5 comes bundled with FGII, and Digital Adventures makes a more complete SRD. The more complete version costs money.

I have no clue if anything is available for warhammer.

Leonal
September 9th, 2009, 16:06
I forgot earlier I had the link to Nezzir's site for his Dark Heresy ruleset.
https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/azureawfrp/ You might be able to find something if you join there.

Spyke
September 9th, 2009, 16:50
Some of the commercial rulesets also include the reference books. These give you the options of using Savage Worlds, Castles and Crusades, Rolemaster or Call of Cthulhu, for example.

See the links from the Fantasy Grounds home page (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/community/).

(Castles and Crusades may suit you well if you're thinking of D&D or Warhammer.)

Spyke

Foen
September 9th, 2009, 18:22
The community/free ruleset for Labyrinth Lord also comes with the complete text of the reference manual, as LL is published by Goblinoid Games under the OGL.

Foen

Marimar
September 9th, 2009, 20:16
So the Complete SRD from Digital Illusions, that is the same as D&D 3.5?
I don't care a bit if it costs money, as long as it's good :)
Is there a commercial equivalent for D&D 4?

Thanks /Paul

Sorontar
September 9th, 2009, 21:53
Is there a commercial equivalent for D&D 4?

Thanks /Paul

Private Message sent

Tenian
September 9th, 2009, 21:56
Most of the information associated with 3.5 was available through the SRD. Thus a digital version contains a large portion of the reference material. I never looked at the product myself but from what I understand it's pretty extensive.

The 4E SRD contains virtually no useful information so there is no way to develop a similar product. Many believe this was done because WOTC had grand dillusions of publishing a VTT of their own.

Marimar
September 10th, 2009, 08:31
Thanks for all the great answers,

I'll just buy the 3.5 complete SRD to start with then as it seems to have the most complete referencematerial in it.

Bidmaron
September 12th, 2009, 00:55
The CSRD is from Digital Adventures, and it certainly is D&D 3.5, but just the OGL portion. There is no commercial (or private, so far as I know) source for the non-OGL portions of 3.5.

As for 4th edition, there are no commercial products, but there is a parser by Tenian (see the Four Ugly Monsters site to obtain it) that makes production of modules from DDI material and PDFs easier.
[edit: Tenian beat me to the draw]