PDA

View Full Version : GM side licensing

The Canterbury Tail
September 8th, 2009, 20:13
Quick question. Is it possible to have it with the GM side holding all the licenses? I mean the GM has their master license, and several lite licenses under it allowing X people to connect to it. The reason I ask is I don't like asking players to pay to play my games (I think this is a very European mindset as opposed to the North American one.)

So is this possible? Would mean one could have different players for different games, and the GM pays out and holds all the licenses. Does this make sense? Am I explain it right? I know this is how some of the competitors handle this (or at least it's an option) and it's one way I prefer as I know I can get players if I handle it all my end, but not if they have to pay. And I don't want to pay for others, give them the license and then they clear off with it :)

Spyke
September 8th, 2009, 20:36
See this thread:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10031&highlight=floating+license

It's unclear exactly what is going to be proposed, but something is on the way.

Graham

The Canterbury Tail
September 8th, 2009, 20:58
Okay thanks. After having read that it seems less and less likely that FG will be the solution for me. I've been looking for a replacement for Klooge (I went from GRiP to Klooge), and thought FG would be the one, but the lack of floating licenses and common place features like Fog of War make it a no no for me.

A shame, it looks like a real quality product, head and shoulders above the competition in terms of organisation, looks and layout.

Spyke
September 8th, 2009, 21:27
Okay thanks. After having read that it seems less and less likely that FG will be the solution for me. I've been looking for a replacement for Klooge (I went from GRiP to Klooge), and thought FG would be the one, but the lack of floating licenses and common place features like Fog of War make it a no no for me.

A shame, it looks like a real quality product, head and shoulders above the competition in terms of organisation, looks and layout.
Um... FG has a fog of war that's perfectly acceptable... and the thread hints that a floating license solution is coming...

Spyke

The Canterbury Tail
September 8th, 2009, 22:10
Um... FG has a fog of war that's perfectly acceptable... and the thread hints that a floating license solution is coming...

Spyke

It does have FoW? Oh thought I saw a post saying it didn't. In which case I'll have a play with the demo and see what happens with the floating licenses. I wouldn't mind if the floating license was the same price as the GM one.

unerwünscht
September 8th, 2009, 22:12
By Fog of War, I think he meant automated fog of war, something a few of the applications can do (but none of them do it correctly). Personally I think Fantasy Grounds solution of manual masking is the right way to go with this.

And my views and concerns on the "GM side licensing" are already in the other thread (I think).

The Canterbury Tail
September 8th, 2009, 22:39
No manual fog of war is perfectly acceptable for me, never found the automated ones to work very well.

unerwünscht
September 8th, 2009, 22:51
Oh well then you should love the way it works in Fantasy Grounds, it is done through a masking layer.