PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with a Newb

Syrillion
September 6th, 2009, 21:57
3.5, foundation 3.5e, d20 wha????? Which ruleset should I use to run a D&D 3.5 game? Which one should I use so I can purchase the SRD II starter pack from digital adventures?

Which of the issues below are resolved by using the correct ruleset?

How can I link my tokens to my personalities and my personalities to the combat tracker so that everything works right in combat? Either the token doesn't appear in the combat tracker or the combat tracker isn't linked to the token on the map. What is the proper steps to take when first creating a module? I have been placing the tokens in campaign folder in a subfolder I created call tokens, then I create the module, drag a creature from a library book to the personalities sheet, drag the token to the personalities sheet, drag personality to the combat tracker, or the map, forget which, but what's the right way?

How can I edit Personalities' fields. They either are not editable at all or become useless once I change the values. (can't drag fields to chat for attack automation, etc.)

What is the best way to get characters into a game, have players create them locally, then choose that character once the game starts? Or should they send me a file?

Is there a guide of some kind that covers this that I have completely missed somewhere linked here?

Jason/Xorn's tutorials are great, but I have come across these issues even after watching them.

Moon Wizard
September 7th, 2009, 01:25
Hi there, welcome to the community.

There are several rulesets that you can use to run a v3.5 D&D game:
* d20 - Original ruleset provided with FG2 (available on downloads page)
* 3.5E - Updated ruleset provided with FG2 v2.5 (included)
* Foundation w/ 3.5E extension - Community project
* d20_JPG - Community project

I'm sort of biased towards d20_JPG myself, since I wrote the ruleset. I think it has the most functionality of all the 3.5E rulesets; though at this point, it's really just inheriting features from the 4E_JPG ruleset.

To answer your questions (using the d20_JPG ruleset as the example):
https://www.fouruglymonsters.com/community/community/groups/viewgroup/62-DD+3rd+Edition+FG+Development

Tokens
There are a couple different ways to do this:
1. Drag the creature from the module to the personalities, drag the token to the personality, drag the personality to the combat tracker (token should populate automatically), then drag the combat tracker token to the map.
2. Drag the creature from the module to the combat tracker, drag the token to the combat tracker, drag the combat tracker token to the map.
3. Build a module with tokens already linked to the creatures in the module, then drag the creature from the module to either the personalities or the combat tracker (tokens should populate automatically).

Editable Personality Fields
Do you have examples of fields that you can't edit? Once the creature has been moved to the personalities, you should be able to edit all the fields; however, you may not be able to edit fields for creatures opened from the modules (since they are read only). The attack fields require very specific formats for attack automation, so changing the fields may break the pattern matching. Make sure you use the exact same format.

Character Creation
I've always left the server running and had people create their characters on the server. When you create a character locally, then select it to use in a game; then, you end up with 2 characters in the character selection list which can get confusing. Only the server character will be updated during the game, and the player can accidentally select the local character again, which creates another copy of the 1st level character on the server.

There isn't a lot of documentation for any of the rulesets, so it's usually learning by trail and error. When it doubt, try right-clicking, dragging and double-clicking on fields and windows to see what you can do. Also, the community is very helpful in answering any questions you have on how they do things in their games. For my ruleset, I try to monitor the boards and answer any questions as well. Also, there is some limited material on the FG web site under the Tutorials (Downloads section) and User Guide (Library section).

Cheers,
JPG

Syrillion
September 12th, 2009, 19:08
Jpg thanks for this response I'm going to try out your ruleset and then I will post my results here.