PDA

View Full Version : Altering Mod Files- Newb!

Veldehar
September 4th, 2009, 19:49
Ok, I was goofing around with the RM ruleset and got around to unzipping the mod files and poking around. I thought I would run a simple little test and add a small bit to the name of a spell. I then compressed the files back together as a zip, tacked on .mod, and slipped it into the Modules folder. I started up FG and nothing, the altered mod does not show up. I read on the boards here on how to do this, and don't think I missed anything... but apparently I did.

I would hate to go into the mod files and make some custom spell changes only to find that I am too much of a fool to get them back into FG! LOL. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Veldehar

Valarian
September 4th, 2009, 20:01
The most common problem is that you've zipped it back up with the folder inside.

Veldehar
September 5th, 2009, 01:33
That wasn't the issue, in fact I'm not sure what the issue was. However, I seem to have stumbled across getting it to work by recompressing the files... the one I was trying to use was several kb larger than the original, and when I recompressed it was the same size, which is as it should be, seeing as I barely changed a thing.

Go figer.

Veldehar
September 5th, 2009, 01:44
OK, now, it seems to only be recognizing and opening mods if I name them exactly as the originals. How do I go about getting it to open mods with different names?

Foen
September 5th, 2009, 05:08
Module names appear in a number of places:

In the definition.xml file;
In the header of the db.xml, client.xml or common.xml file; and
Within the body of the module, after the @ character, for links to internal lists etc.

The actual filename isn't generally relevant, but all of the above must be consistent. It is also worth noting that the module name (not the filename) is case, whitespace and punctuation sensitive.

Stuart

Veldehar
September 5th, 2009, 15:04
Excellent, thank you much!