PDA

View Full Version : Sneak Peek

Foen
August 31st, 2009, 21:30
Just a quick preview of a work in progress. Watch this space!

Stuart

Spyke
September 1st, 2009, 07:24
That's awesome.

Spyke

devinnight
September 2nd, 2009, 02:28
I'm not picking on you in particular Foen.
The text on the boxes reads upwards, which it has since the beginning of time.
Is this how its read/done in Europe.. and again I'm just curious.
Type on most book bindings reads top to bottom.

Regardless, that is a very slick looking interface. The more I play with a lot of windows the cleaner I want the interface to be. Nice Job!

-D

Zeus
September 2nd, 2009, 02:48
Looks nice Foen.

Devinnight - In my experience if the saud vertical text is to the left of a block of text (or page) it is generally read bottom-top. If on the other hand the vertical text is to the right of a block of text (or page) then it generally is read top-bottom.

Foen
September 2nd, 2009, 05:58
Thanks for the comments guys. On the subject of text direction, these text blocks are more like titles on landscape slides and 'face towards' the contents of the window, and not meant to be spines of books (which are not usually visible from above the book, and are designed to be the right way up when looking at a book from the side, when it is stacked with the front cover uppermost on a shelf).

Stuart

ProfMarks
September 2nd, 2009, 06:04
Foen,

Fantastic work as always. Do you plan on sharing when the project is complete or is this something that may be part of a retail pack?

unerwünscht
September 2nd, 2009, 06:07
I am not sure if it was intentional or habitual, however it is done correctly. As the image is turned so as to place the title at the top, it then reads from left to right. The reason the spine of a book reads from top to bottom is because when the book is placed back down/top up, it reads correctly from left to right.

I worked in a book binding factory for a few years when I was younger, hope this information is helpful.

Foen
September 2nd, 2009, 06:13
Foen,

Fantastic work as always. Do you plan on sharing when the project is complete or is this something that may be part of a retail pack?

Thanks for the feedback. It is (unfortunately/fortunately?) part of a forthcoming commercial product, but I needed to make it genre-neutral so I have gone for a GUI feel (with some inspiration from Windows/Mac interfaces) in addition to using marble/granite, which are fairly timeless.

Stuart

unerwünscht
September 2nd, 2009, 06:32
Awwww... I had my hopes up that you were working on new and improved version of the World of Darkness rule set. They look you have captured here is amazingly appropriate for such.... Oh yea... Looks great by the way.

Foen
September 2nd, 2009, 06:46
There is already an alternative WoD ruleset, which uses the same radial menu icons (not shown here). The various gamelines are handled as extensions rather than being built into the ruleset itself, and only the Vampire and Mage extensions have anything to show for it.

I've attached a couple of screenshots. In the first one you can see the desktop and the icon bar down the right (the icon bar is only visible when you mouse-over it). In the second one you can see a character sheet (Vampire in this case), the combat tracker (not yet re-skinned) and a radial menu. The icon bar is hidden in the second screenshot.

Stuart

unerwünscht
September 2nd, 2009, 06:51
..... Im stunned, that's absolutely amazing.... Where can I find that ruleset?

Foen
September 2nd, 2009, 07:11
https://www.witheredlands.co.uk/rulesets/WoDInstaller-0.19.97.zip

Please note the ruleset is non-commercial, but the artwork remains the IP of its originators.

Have fun!

Stuart

devinnight
September 2nd, 2009, 23:03
Thanks everyone for the answers to my questions.
-D

Totalgit
September 6th, 2009, 04:41
My first post. Yay.

One of the reasons i bought FG2 was i wanted to play nWoD with some friends so when i saw the Rules Lite nWoD ruleset i had no more more excuses not to buy FG2. This ruleset is equally good, if not better since i love the drag/drop stats/skills etc to the dicebox etc. Was it going to be commercial and now isnt? Are you still working on it? Could i be abit cheeky and suggest afew ways that i think would make this excellent ruleset even better?

1) While the healthbox's are nice, could each box be made independant? I've found that when using supernatural healing, its abit fiddly to remove /'s while you have *'s or x's. The lite nwod ruleset by PneumaPilot has health boxes like this, and its easier to track healing with it.

2) Could armour be changed to be similar to defense, except have 2 values, one for ballistic, one for other, so we can drag and drop etc from the combatracker/char sheet to the dicebox.

3) Possible to add/readd an Attack button next to the combattracker, that links to a pc/npc's Str,Dex, Brawl, Firearms and Weaponry scores maybe even the damage box at weapons. So you can drag them all from the combat tracker.

4) Ive seen some rulesets with a modifer button similar to the effects button where you can create static mod's. Would be excellent to keep track of vigor, celerity, willpower bonus's and blood buffing and other temp dice adders/subtractors.

5) For some reason i cant get the Gm dice to reveal, even typing /die reveal, also i cant get the combat tracker to be seen by players when i do share sheet.

If i had the xml, lua skill to try changing things myself i would attempt all these myself, however i have none. And while im considering trying to learn how to make/modify rulesets, it'll be awhile before im anywhere near good enough i think.

Thanks again for a nice WoD ruleset.

Foen
September 6th, 2009, 06:11
Hi TG, and welcome to the forums, I hope you find us helpful and friendly!

This ruleset was originally a prototype/demo for a commercial product, but WW weren't interested in an official WoD ruleset, so it is now a community ruleset. I am still working on it, because it is used by our gaming group for a VtR campaign (which is why the Vampire sheet is well developed and most of the others are just placeholders).

Thanks for your comments on the various bits of funcionality, I'll add them to my 'to-do' list but can't promise to implement them quickly because I have a 1,001 other things on the 'to-do' list!

If you want to start learning how rulesets work, you might want to look at the other gameline extensions (Werewolf etc), as they are relatively straightforward compared to doing a whole ruleset. Malakh is working on the Mage sheet (so you have him to thank for that) and is doing a great job.

Stuart

Totalgit
September 6th, 2009, 06:27
Hey, Im just glad your still working on it means it can only get better. No hurry for my suggestions really, i just realised that you can do things like type /die 2 Blood send it to chat window then drag it to a hotkey, so you can press it 1 time per blood your spending to add to dicepools etc, its so cool.

I'm currently sourcing some xml and lua books and tutorials, i'll get myself familar with them and then try delving into a ruleset by breaking it and try to put it back together again to see how things work. I just got Geist so i might try a geist extension as a first learner project.

Haven't yet searched for similiar "where to start with rulesets" on this forum but i'll do that asap too.

Now all i need is to either shell out for more lite copies for my friends, or get them to get them so i can actually play the new WoD as ive not had a chance to yet.

Foen
September 6th, 2009, 08:38
BTW, there is a revised version of that ruleset (just taking advantage of the description fields added in FG 2.5.0) at

https://www.witheredlands.co.uk/rulesets/WoDInstaller-0.20.101.zip

I'm trying to post it on the FG Wiki, but am having a bit of difficulty!

Stuart

Foen
September 6th, 2009, 10:49
Now posted on the FG Wiki. Please refer to the Wiki for the latest version.

demonsbane
September 21st, 2009, 22:53
Very sleek design, Foen.

Also, I'm surprised by the use of a semi transparent character sheet. That feature can be really useful in FG 2 regarding some windows completely obscuring others behind them in an unintentional way. And it's very nice looking.

LilCthulhu
February 7th, 2010, 17:20
Foen, any chance of having only the skin or any other generic skin developped for the base ruleset ? The fantasy ground default skin looks to fantasy-liked to my taste...

Eventually, I'll attack the skin part of my ruleset, but I'm not there yet...

Foen
February 7th, 2010, 17:29
Hi LilCthulhu

Skins aren't as reusable as you might think: generally they have to be tailored to the specific ruleset or they don't fit in all places. Not only that, but bits of this skin aren't freely redistributable (they are the IP of WW and can be used in the context of their fan license but not otherwise).

I have recently published a Traveller/Sci-Fi skin which is freely reusable (on this thread (https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Traveller_Theme)) if that helps. It will suffer from the same ill-fit if not used with the GURPS ruleset though.

Foen

tdewitt274
February 7th, 2010, 18:39
Is the theme for the first image that you posted still out there? I like the feel of that one. ::crossing fingers::

By the way, good work on them. If only I had half that talent...

LilCthulhu
February 7th, 2010, 19:07
Hi Foen,

Thanks for the answers, my idea was basically to "try" to do a "extension" to the default FG skin for the base ruleset... keep the same settings/position/size of the graphics but make it less "fantasy"-looking and more "generic"... but you have experience in that area, and I don't ;) so you probably know things about that that I don't ;)

LilCthulhu
February 7th, 2010, 19:08
I have recently published a Traveller/Sci-Fi skin which is freely reusable (on this thread (https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Traveller_Theme)) if that helps. It will suffer from the same ill-fit if not used with the GURPS ruleset though.

Foen

Do you have a screenshot of that skin ?

tdewitt274
February 7th, 2010, 19:26
Here's the "brushed alumnum" from the Classic Traveller extention

tdewitt274
February 7th, 2010, 21:36
An Inkscape attempt at replicating the original image. Gotta figure out how to round out my "banner".

Edit: I think I figured out how to do the Gradients in Inkscape. Not sure I understand them, but I got them to work ;)

I'd still be interested in the Extention, if it's still available. It's slick and clean!

Foen
February 8th, 2010, 05:08
The original artwork is part of the forthcoming Basic Roleplaying ruleset, to be published by SmiteWorks, and hence is subject to SmiteWorks copyright.

Please don't replicate it or redistribute it without SmiteWorks' permission.

Stuart

tdewitt274
February 8th, 2010, 13:38
Gotcha, not a problem. Didn't know it was going to be part of a product.