PDA

View Full Version : Chat Scrollback Buffer Size

Akari
August 30th, 2009, 20:01
Is there any way to adjust the amount of text that the chat window keeps in the output window? The current limitation seems painfully small. So often I'm scrolling back up to double check on something, and the text from 5 minutes before is already gone (We have a very chatty group).

If there is no way to tune this presently, that would be a great option for a future version for those of us who like to be able to reference prior information in the session.

(p.s., client-side logging would be awesome too)

EugeneZ
August 30th, 2009, 21:23
I'm curious about the answer to this, too, though something tells me it's uncontrollable.

mr_h
August 31st, 2009, 14:23
I was under the impression there was a logging feature already in the chat window. DIdn't someone have a 'chat log cleaner'?

Edit: Yup, if you go into your FGII Data folder (in Documents and Settings), there is a 'chatlog.html'.
That has the complete history of your gaming session.

The chat log cleaner was made by joshua, but I'm not sure if it works with FG2 (It was hosted on FUM which is currently down).

Akari
August 31st, 2009, 17:11
Thanks for the replys. As best I can tell from my searching of the forums:

*Only the hosting DM gets a log. Clients cannot log.
The log cleaner doesn't work with FG2.
*There doesn't seem to be a way to change the amount of scrollback the chat window keeps.

The two *'d items seem like they would be simple but well appreciated features in any updates FG2 sees in the future.

Thanks again. :)

joshuha
August 31st, 2009, 20:46
My log cleaner that is linked at FUM (which should be up by tomorrow) works with FG2 as it was the rewrite when FG2 came out. Possibly something has changed in the chatlog structure but I am pretty sure I have used it recently just fine.

Ged
September 2nd, 2009, 06:29
The buffer size of chat window was increased in the latest update (2.5.0), see https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10846.

Akari
September 5th, 2009, 22:25
The buffer size of chat window was increased in the latest update (2.5.0), see https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10846.
Awesome, I love it. Thanks a ton!

The Canterbury Tail
September 9th, 2009, 18:37
Is it not possible to store the chat log into the campaign so it can be loaded when players connect. Even from previous sessions? Saves bring people up to speed, and allows easier reference and a history. I know some of the others, like Klooge, provide this functionality and it's something I've always found really useful.

Griogre
September 9th, 2009, 23:49
I'm not opposed to the option to load a log but I'm wondering what benefit you are trying to get out of this? Automatic record keeping?

I know if I loaded all the logs of some my ongoing games over the last few years - nobody would ever go back that far. There's so much data in there it's just noise after a certain period. The real question is after what period? And that would be different for each game.

You may not be aware FG generates a log file. Some groups post the log after each session.

Tenian
September 10th, 2009, 11:20
The log FGII generates is of the messages the GM receives. This is different than the messages the players receive. It includes attack rolls, modifiers, etc that some GMs might not want their player's to be privy too.

Since delivery of messages is a ruleset dependent function, I'm not sure you determine which messages should be shown to the players and which should be suppressed when loading a static log.

Sorontar
September 10th, 2009, 11:40
Is it not possible to store the chat log into the campaign so it can be loaded when players connect. Even from previous sessions? Saves bring people up to speed, and allows easier reference and a history. I know some of the others, like Klooge, provide this functionality and it's something I've always found really useful.

Scrub it and post it on a blog or in a group forum on FourUglyMonsters etc.

I see that as a much better way of keeping a group up to date than having more infomation cluttering up the campaign files.

Spyke
September 10th, 2009, 12:09
And of course there's nothing to stop you copying and pasting the chat log into a page in your campaign anyway to do exactly what you want within FG2. These pages can be shared with your players as required.

If you want them to have a permanent record in their player client either send them the logs outside FG2 and they can paste them into their own Notes, or get them to share a Note with you during the session and you can paste the log in.

But I agree with Sorontar. We've always kept the logs outside FG2 on a website or wiki. It's very easy to switch out of FG2 to look something up, and you then also have access to the data outside of the sessions.

Spyke

The Canterbury Tail
September 10th, 2009, 18:42
I was just thinking of keeping the one log from each individual adventure. I know this is done in the likes of Klooge, and just thought it would be useful. Also allows sending of current chat log to players who connect late.

But just using the logged version and uploading it elsewhere after cleaning is an option yes.