PDA

View Full Version : Can You Hide Chat Screen?

pjrake
August 28th, 2009, 16:54
I'm using FG at my roleplaying games, with a laptop and screen projector. Running the GM version on the laptop and running the player's version on the projector. Basically I'm using it just for maps and images, and nothing else.

Is there a way to hide the chat window on the player's side so I'll have more room to display images? I can simply place a window over it but when there are no images shown during the game, I would like to just have the background of FG showing (which looks cool!).

-PJ

Doswelk
August 28th, 2009, 23:13
I'm using FG at my roleplaying games, with a laptop and screen projector. Running the GM version on the laptop and running the player's version on the projector. Basically I'm using it just for maps and images, and nothing else.

Is there a way to hide the chat window on the player's side so I'll have more room to display images? I can simply place a window over it but when there are no images shown during the game, I would like to just have the background of FG showing (which looks cool!).

-PJ

The chat window is the one part of FGII that is fixed (I gather every client has to have the same dimensions to prevent problems) so at the current time it cannot be hidden.

unerwünscht
August 29th, 2009, 00:37
Thats not exactly true... The chat window and script is exposed in the ruleset files. So in theory one could make a mod that could if nothing else reduce the size of the window, or change its location.

EugeneZ
August 29th, 2009, 01:13
I thought that a ton of stuff was tied to the chat window, and though it was exposed, attempts to mess with it led to problems? That's what I recall, anyway, but I haven't tried it myself. :)

Doswelk
August 29th, 2009, 08:13
Thats not exactly true... The chat window and script is exposed in the ruleset files. So in theory one could make a mod that could if nothing else reduce the size of the window, or change its location.

Hmm thinking about it you may be right...

I remember the Risk conversion that Snikle did for FG1 that had a small chat screen.

I think it may just have to still be there somewhere and would need to be the same size on both the client and the GM.

Foen
August 30th, 2009, 07:59
I think Joshuha spent a ton of time on this and couldn't get much flexibility from the chat window. Given Joshuha failed to get much joy, I'd say there isn't much hope for us mere mortals :)

Valarian
August 30th, 2009, 08:19
I've managed to shrink the chat window in a separate ruleset, which I've described in this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=70085&postcount=12).

I couldn't get the changes to work as an extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9968) due to the chat window already existing and resisting being overridden.

Foen
August 30th, 2009, 08:35
* Takes hat off to Valarian *

I think Joshuha was trying to make it dynamically resizeable - did you have any joy with that?

Valarian
August 30th, 2009, 10:42
Nope, just able to change the size/location in the ruleset. Nothing more sophisticated than that.