PDA

View Full Version : Hex Maps? Please

unerwünscht
August 25th, 2009, 18:48
Is there any chance of getting Hex based map grids added to the next update of Fantasy Grounds (or anytime semi soon). I have a ton of games sitting in the gaming department that we would love to port to Fantasy Grounds but all of them require Hex Maps.

Not to mention that many of the games people are trying to port are intended to be played using hex maps... Such as GURPS. Beyond the hex draw routine, the only other thing that would need changed is Token rotation.

Oberoten
August 25th, 2009, 23:46
Or just give us a ruler or something. I can do without the hexgrids, but a proper ruler would be very very nice. The hexes were just included in the games to make sure you wouldn't need a measuring tape or a ruler.

Imagine being able to just plop down a meter across and object and affix that as the scale and then be able to really just go to town with movement rates in foot, inches or meters.

- Obe

Phystus
August 26th, 2009, 00:08
Yes, hexes would be very nice. And a ruler would be awesome, that would be a big step towards letting you play traditional miniature games with no grid at all. That might not be all that easy, though, since you'd have to somehow define how much distance one pixel represents on the map.

I did recently play a hex-based game (Star Fleet Battles) via FG, and it went OK as far as the map was concerned. We didn't find the rotation to be a problem, it was pretty easy to tell which side of the hex the counter was supposed to be facing. But that was with square counters, I suppose it might be worse with top-down figures.

~P

pming
August 31st, 2009, 12:46
Hiya.

Just voicing a "Me too please!" to the list. In fact, I think of all the RPG's I'm likely to play via FGII, only 3 use squares (the others, 8 of them, use Hex).

So, yeah, hexes would be a nice addition. :) The ruler idea is also nice, might as well add that in as well. :)

The Scriven One
September 5th, 2009, 22:32
Another me too. I'm writing a game that relies heavily on a hex grid. Having a snap-to hex grid would mean that I'd port it to Fantasy Grounds ASAP.

Ged
September 8th, 2009, 20:29
Screenshot:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/images/boardattachments/ss_hex.jpg

Spyke
September 8th, 2009, 20:30
Hoorah! Hoorah! Hoorah! :D

Spyke

Oberoten
September 8th, 2009, 21:34
Well it isn't the measuring-tape, but it is almost as good. :)

- Obe

The Scriven One
September 8th, 2009, 21:41
Very Cool. Thanks for listening to us. :) Can't wait.

Foen
September 8th, 2009, 22:07
Very neat Ville!

Griogre
September 11th, 2009, 17:36
Very pretty. I hesitate to mention this now that you have done the work to do the hexes but maybe "staggered" squares (ie a hex grid represented by squares) would be easier to adjust and resize on a map?

unerwünscht
September 11th, 2009, 17:50
Staggered squares wouldn't work for the majority of the games out there.

Spyke
September 11th, 2009, 20:10
Geometry. Very good for the brain. Character-building.

Spyke

Griogre
September 11th, 2009, 22:36
Staggered squares wouldn't work for the majority of the games out there.
Why not? I don't understand. Staggered squares are the same as a hex layout and it's usually easier to lay out interiors. Which I think would make it eaiser to resize the "grid" to fit a map.
https://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/Griogre/flag-hex.gif

unerwünscht
September 12th, 2009, 00:48
I honestly cant think of what the issue would be at the moment. But I assure you, my players would find a way to exploit it or make it an issue. The majority of my players are the kind of people you need a VTT to play with, cause you would bash their heads in by the 3rd session otherwise.

Spyke
September 12th, 2009, 09:32
Why not? I don't understand. Staggered squares are the same as a hex layout and it's usually easier to lay out interiors.]It's easier to see which are the 'front' hexes, which are the 'side' ones and which are the 'rear' ones with true hexes. These areas fan out from a character with a particular facing.

Also multi hex characters will fit directly on a hex grid regardless of their orientation. This isn't true of staggered squares. Imagine the simplest case, a character covering two adjacent hexes running horizontally in your graphic. This might be a pony or a crawling man. Now rotate through 60 degrees. Your rectangle now mashes across the diagonals.

Staggered squares are workable, but true hex grids are much nicer.

Spyke

Dupre
September 16th, 2009, 15:06
Please have a look in here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10947) and let us know what you think of the hex grid support. We appreciate all feedback and especially:
- Whether you have any difficulty in defining the hex grid
- How the distance measurements should be calculated for hex grid based rulesets/games
- The Combat Tracker range values do not paint the hexes as the formula for it may depend on the ruleset
- Area pointers do not paint the hexes as these may depend on the ruleset as well

Oberoten
September 17th, 2009, 09:24
I have just finished fiddling with my Ars Magica set to incorporate the hexes as well. But before that I sat down and had a little check on how it handles.

I am pleased with this. Very very pleased. It'll make for more precise movement and for more options for using FG for board-games. As you mentioned, no shading, but I can live without that. And no area calculation either... which might be a bit more troublesome really.

Could we get an option to not make a pointer-line when clicking double buttons? That'd do VERY well as the ruler I want/need for games like Warhammer and the like.

Okay 17" ... and the round goes haywire THAT direction for 4" Ohhh... right on your own troops?

- Obe

Oberoten
September 17th, 2009, 09:58
Aaah. I see.

I was misstaken, it is only the Square that doesn't get an area-calculation.

- Obe