PDA

View Full Version : Basic Roleplaying (BRP) Systems

Foen
August 17th, 2009, 22:33
Other than Call of Cthulhu, which BRP systems would folks most like to see adapted for FG (I'm a RuneQuest fan myself)?

Stuart

Culdraug
August 18th, 2009, 00:35
I prefer the older AD&D 1st/2nd ed system (second to RM of course). However, some of these newer clones of the old style seem like they would fit nicely.

Phystus
August 18th, 2009, 01:44
Runequest! Runequest! Runequest!

I may be biased, I just got to play RQ at Gencon for the first time since '82. I'm amazed it all still felt familiar.

~P

Veldehar
August 18th, 2009, 02:26
I will second Runequest. Its no Rolemaster, but good stuff.

Spyke
August 18th, 2009, 11:11
Runequest...

peterb
August 18th, 2009, 16:56
RuneQuest. Even if I myself don't like all the features of Mongooses version, I could always alter a ruleset for RQ to suit my own needs. In fact I already have altered the CoC ruleset so that it in effects has become a BRP ruleset, minus hitlocations. Still it would be nice to be able, as an option, to use General HP as it is done in Chaosiums BRP system.

Hitlocations, by the way, is what I think is the tricky part when it comes to implementing the RQ rules...

Of course - one big advantage of using Mongoose RQ is that it's available under the OGL...

Foen
August 18th, 2009, 18:53
Hitlocations, by the way, is what I think is the tricky part when it comes to implementing the RQ rules...

You bet it is! :confused:

Gladmire
August 19th, 2009, 00:40
Rolemaster, Rolemaster, Rolemaster!

Phystus
August 20th, 2009, 02:33
Rolemaster, Rolemaster, Rolemaster!

Meh, it's been done. ;)

Digital Adventures just released the Rolemaster ruleset at Gencon, if you hadn't heard.

~P

Ebonfyre
August 22nd, 2009, 18:10
I would love to see an official version of the Legend of the 5 Rings.

Foen
August 24th, 2009, 05:56
I think maybe this thread is a little confused: I was looking specifically at Basic Roleplaying (BRP) systems, so Rolemaster, AD&D and Legend of the 5 Rings don't qualify.

BRP is the d100 gaming system common to Call of Cthulhu, Runequest, Elric/Stormbringer, Superworld and others. Chaosium has published stand-alone BRP rules, which you can see here:

https://catalog.chaosium.com/index.php?cPath=37

The free, quick-start edition can be found here:

https://catalog.chaosium.com/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=3700

Foen

peterb
August 25th, 2009, 19:15
But Mongoose RQ isn't a BRP system... That said, I would love a BRP ruleset, with options (as per the foundation mechanic), that would allow me to play CoC, RQ, Stormbringer or a Future setting, with the same ruleset.

Foen
August 26th, 2009, 06:34
Mongoose RQ is very close to BRP, the only significant differences I've noticed are hit points by location and damage bonus, both of which use a different progression to standard BRP.

Ability names are slightly different (CHA instead of APP), but BRP variants can be a bit like that.

Foen

VenomousFiligree
August 26th, 2009, 06:45
That said, I would love a BRP ruleset, with options (as per the foundation mechanic), that would allow me to play CoC, RQ, Stormbringer or a Future setting, with the same ruleset.
Gets my vote, a BRP ruleset (https://catalog.chaosium.com/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=1257).

Casimir
August 28th, 2009, 19:45
I'd add my vote to Runequest. ;)

But I wouldn't turn down a BRP rule set.

Bleddyn
June 23rd, 2010, 08:56
Stormbringer

RobP
July 3rd, 2010, 19:41
Runequest!!!!

Ideally the original RQ2, but any of the other versions would be cool! :)

VenomousFiligree
July 3rd, 2010, 19:44
The Laundry! (https://shop.cubicle7store.com/epages/es113347.sf?ObjectPath=/Shops/es113347_shop/Products/CB71200) :)

doofstructor
August 4th, 2011, 01:58
Classic Fantasy for BRP.....https://catalog.chaosium.com/product_info.php?cPath=37&products_id=5042

Baron
January 2nd, 2012, 05:00
Ah! Classic Fantasy, Chaosium Runequest 2, Celestial Empire, Dragon Lines.

Draeus
April 10th, 2012, 18:31
I'm currently running a Fantasy BRP game and about to attempt a supers BRP game.. was wanting to do a sci-fi BRP, As I am hooked with the d100 system. But I am unable to find any starship combat rules. I could adapt it from another game system easy enough but if there is a d100 system out there i would use that.

gamemasterbob
August 3rd, 2012, 01:20
Runequest is NOT exactly BRP but I would love to play. I have every version of it in print. I even bought the digital version of 6. "Legend" is good too. More like a classic fantasy and no Runes. I would like to be part of a Runequest session if it ever happens.

daddystabz
August 7th, 2012, 03:02
I want to play RQ 6 on here BADLY.

Alchemister
February 17th, 2013, 11:43
RQ6. The only possible choice in my opinion.

S Ferguson
February 17th, 2013, 18:34
I run Stormbringer. Or Hawkmoon. I'm not fussy (and thankfully, neither is my playing group). But RQ 6e is high on my want list as well. Heck, even Glorantha 2e would suffice.

Alchemister
February 25th, 2013, 22:35
Hmm, RQ6 or Magic World (BRP)? I think, RQ6 would still win through for me. If both were adapted, I'd probably freeze like the proverbial rabbit in the headies.

Nevertheles,...

Would also like to see L5R make it one day, but would need to be a whole new rule set, great game though.

S Ferguson
February 25th, 2013, 22:51
Yes, definately Magic World.

martel
June 24th, 2013, 07:48
Hey,

The BRP systems files are all offline...and all old more 2010 :(

I hope as new FG3 is it more easy to create ruleset for BRP.

S Ferguson
June 24th, 2013, 09:51
Hey,

The BRP systems files are all offline...and all old more 2010 :(

I hope as new FG3 is it more easy to create ruleset for BRP.

Me too, although the process of making a ruleset won't as difficult, but still require an extensive amount of programming. They're redoing CoC. Hopefully BRP is next on the list.

Cheers,
SF

martel
June 25th, 2013, 07:38
Me too, although the process of making a ruleset won't as difficult, but still require an extensive amount of programming. They're redoing CoC. Hopefully BRP is next on the list.

Cheers,
SF

for me, it lacks explanatory videos basic development FantayGrounds.

Simply say that it is not difficult, will not help people to create;-)

Not necessarily video tutorial 2:00 but small videos of how you do the basics and little by little either to rule changes ...

Knowing that the prerequisites are xml

S Ferguson
June 25th, 2013, 16:29
for me, it lacks explanatory videos basic development FantayGrounds.

Simply say that it is not difficult, will not help people to create;-)

Not necessarily video tutorial 2:00 but small videos of how you do the basics and little by little either to rule changes ...

Knowing that the prerequisites are xml

It's just going to be a bit difficult teaching XML and Lua on a short video. Functionality yes, but designing add-ons is something to ask in the Workshop; or to the BRP community, if you prefer.

Cheers,
SF

martel
June 26th, 2013, 07:35
It's just going to be a bit difficult teaching XML and Lua on a short video. Functionality yes, but designing add-ons is something to ask in the Workshop; or to the BRP community, if you prefer.

Cheers,
SF

no teaching xml or lua, but in first the simply video to create sheet for BRP system (example Stormbringer or other), how start; how create attribut step by step etc...

with video more people know easely do it to use component, interface of FantasyGrounds...not only text tutorial. (Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, you feed him forever.) lol

RosenMcStern
June 26th, 2013, 10:23
With all due respect, Martel, if you need a video to learn the techniques, you will most likely have trouble customizing Fantasy Grounds. The skills involved are of the kind that require the ability to work with a text documentation. Nor will it be a quick affair: a few changes do not require more than a couple hours, but adding visual components will keep you occupied for days. It is, however, worth the effort. :)

martel
June 26th, 2013, 10:34
Well hello RosenMcStern,

the purpose of my message is not whether it is legitimate to make tutorials in video format., but whether some people on this forum can do.

I can understand that you do not need it, since you apparently know in a few hours to make some changes on fantasygrounds. Why not show how you doing? :) Simple.

Trenloe
June 26th, 2013, 15:24
Doesn't the user guide that comes with the BRP ruleset give some guidelines on modification? Or, is it another ruleset I'm getting confused with? I don't have the BRP ruleset so can't check myself.

martel
June 26th, 2013, 15:44
the system chooses to make a video tutorial is not the most important, but they should not be included in base Fantasygrounds as it is to show the basics of creating a character sheet and other things , at the beginning of creating a ruleset. No?

the BRP System (d100) is easy and very wide spread, if there is also the open d6 system.

Trenloe
June 26th, 2013, 15:59
the system chooses to make a video tutorial is not the most important, but they should not be included in base Fantasygrounds as it is to show the basics of creating a character sheet and other things , at the beginning of creating a ruleset. No?
This might seem the case in theory, but the fact is that a lot of rulesets do things differently - so a video "may" be able to be put together that is generic, but it would very quickly become ruleset specific, even from the aspect of which file gets edited to make certain changes.

This might be good enough, however, to get people started. But, believe me, a video on how to modify rulesets would give a few answers, but would soon have people asking many, many more questions... If people are then willing to answer those questions then that's cool... :)

Trenloe
June 26th, 2013, 16:27

the BRP System (d100) is easy and very wide spread, if there is also the open d6 system.
You may find this new thread useful: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19033

It is for the 3.5e ruleset, but 99% of the information is relevant to other rulesets and FG in general.

There is no video I'm afraid, but there is most of the information you would need to customise Fantasy Grounds in the links and references provided. There is no quick-and-easy "watch this 5 minute video and you'll know how to modify a Fantasy Grounds ruleset", the most that would give is the very, very basics. Anyone interested in modifying a ruleset has to spend the time *reading* reference information - the main ones are included in the first few posts of the thread I reference above.

S Ferguson
June 26th, 2013, 16:28
no teaching xml or lua, but in first the simply video to create sheet for BRP system (example Stormbringer or other), how start; how create attribut step by step etc...

with video more people know easely do it to use component, interface of FantasyGrounds...not only text tutorial. (Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish, you feed him forever.) lol

The main problem with this approach to video making is you'd have to make modifications based on what "world" you're playing in. A *lot* of these are not available as extensions (e.g. Stormbringer for one... <<sigh>>... and Call of Cthulhu, which has it's own ruleset, even though it can be made into an extension quite easily.
Otherwise, filling out the character sheet is just like filling out a PnP one. Roll for your stats and write them in.;)

@Trenloe - Yep, this is the set that starts with the programming guide.

martel
June 27th, 2013, 07:13
nice thread Trenloe, thanks

martel
July 11th, 2013, 07:45
I will wait FantasyGround 3 when there will be "Use a GUI builder to build rulesets ruleset" indicated in the "idea inform" third.
And will mainly be used to a set of games, rather than D20

:-)

Trenloe
July 11th, 2013, 17:41
I will wait FantasyGround 3 when there will be "Use a GUI builder to build rulesets ruleset" indicated in the "idea inform" third.
Hhhmmm, I'm not sure that this is going to be available in FG 3 - whenever FG 3 comes out. Just because it is high in the list on the idea informer does not mean it will be in the next release.

Look at this thread to see what the devs are currently working on: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18379

The main change for the next release appears to be ruleset layering (not a GUI developer).

S Ferguson
July 11th, 2013, 18:58
Hhhmmm, I'm not sure that this is going to be available in FG 3 - whenever FG 3 comes out. Just because it is high in the list on the idea informer does not mean it will be in the next release.

Look at this thread to see what the devs are currently working on: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18379

The main change for the next release appears to be ruleset layering (not a GUI developer).

I think the rulesets will just have a common base, and additions to rulesets will be available to overrides and such. Still coding, and no GUI.

martel
July 12th, 2013, 08:02
do not tell me that this list is useless?

For me it is a request for future people ... people who want to buy the program or they appreciate seeing these functions appear.

If this does not give a guideline for the development of FG line, so I do not see the point of having this list .... (this is the dressing?) ... Damage.

I find it unfortunate that this wonderful tool is not to become easier and more enjoyable to create these rulesets and character sheet. it is for me and other people I rub shoulders with a long-term work to create one.

simple example: GUI for easily dispose the different known engine components rendering. click / drag these components on a window, and save the pixel coordinates in xml. To see its position on a leash dragging the mouse over a tooltip ... etc ...

When you say no it's not a GUI interesting because each system and each game has its own organization possible, I understand, but the goal is not to create A to Z ruleset via GUI but facilitated reading vision is the provision of components or see links to include xml for a particular part of the plug.

:-) For me FG is the most successful programs of virtual table, and creating campaigns or modules, is really simple.

Trenloe
July 12th, 2013, 13:45
do not tell me that this list is useless?
No, it is not useless.

If this does not give a guideline for the development of FG line, so I do not see the point of having this list .... (this is the dressing?) ... Damage.
This is exactly what it is - a guideline to developers to consider for future releases. Just because a feature/request is high in the wishlist does not mean it will be in the next release - check the link I gave you above for what the developers are currently working on.

Features for the next release are decided way in advance of that release - especially for major functionality additions/changes.

Also, the ruleset builder you mention is such a major piece of development that it has been mentioned that this may be funded by a kickstarter - see this very long thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16443

S Ferguson
July 12th, 2013, 17:16
No, it is not useless.

This is exactly what it is - a guideline to developers to consider for future releases. Just because a feature/request is high in the wishlist does not mean it will be in the next release - check the link I gave you above for what the developers are currently working on.

Features for the next release are decided way in advance of that release - especially for major functionality additions/changes.

Also, the ruleset builder you mention is such a major piece of development that it has been mentioned that this may be funded by a kickstarter - see this very long thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16443

What he said, is the general consensus. Some of the development tools we'd like to get our hands on impact not only the ruleset but the fundamental innards of FG itself. No-one is mocking your list, it's just that the GUI underpinnings can be achieved via programming the XML files and the Lua scripts in order to make it happen. It's a long-term project, but it *is* doable.

Cheers,
SF

RosenMcStern
July 12th, 2013, 17:43
There are two points you should consider, too, Martel.

The first point is that the list is made by people who already use Fantasy Grounds. But for the sake of "spreading the word", features that may be appreciated by people who do not use FG yet - and thus who do not post on that list - may become prioritary. I myself was the greatest advocate of a tablet version, but after a little bit of thought I changed my mind about it being a priority. At the moment, the biggest barrier to the evolution of FG is NOT the absence of visual tools, but some problems with the core engine and base rulesets. That is, issues that make many major changes that Moon_wizard implements in the core program not available to users of non-D&D rulesets unless someone manually copies gazillions of lines of code. The current status of the BRP ruleset is an example of this. And this would not be solved by GUI tools.

The second point is that... well, I have been hearing about "tools that allow you to do it all visually" for decades. And I still see programmers doing it via code, despite the cost. All the fuss about GUIs getting rid of the complicate part of programmin is just not true. It simply does not work: you cannot do it all by drag&drop, although having a tool that lets you do the graphical part via GUI is a serious moneysaver. So while having a tool that does it visually will facilitate your work, you will NOT be able to do everything visually, and after a while you will be forced to RTFM (acronym not explained for the sake of decency). If you are patient enough, the tool will come, but it might not be the silver bullet you are expecting.

sakmerlin37
July 30th, 2013, 17:40
I may begin work on Stormbringer here shortly. I am working on several Savage Worlds projects right now and plan on doing both Stormbringer & Hawkmoon for BRP; the third on the list is ElfQuest... I loved that comic & game.

Making a ruleset isn't that difficult, as long as the base system doesn't change; if you have to change the game mechanics, then it gets exponentially more difficult, requiring specific Lua programming, XML and, to start off, a way to visualize the final goal :).

Blackfoot
August 6th, 2013, 16:10
I'm pretty sure that an update for 'all' commercial rulesets is in the eventual plan. (I've seen moon_wizard post about it) So BRP.. being a commercial ruleset, is on that list. When that happens is a different issue.. position is likely related to #of users and workload... but it is coming.

S Ferguson
August 9th, 2013, 18:21
There are changes in the wind for the BRP set, but I don't think it's coming just yet. It will probably be available upon 3.0's "official" release.