PDA

View Full Version : Download issues, Connection issues.

Fizban
August 16th, 2009, 21:45
I have not tried to host a game yet since my new internet connection. It is a corporate broadband operated by my mother's company. I have no control over the router at all so port forwarding is out (why I am not hosting at the moment). The problem I have however is as a client I have some real problems connecting to hosts. Half the time I cannot connect to a host (even though everyone else in the game is) and when I can connect it takes an hour to download the packages from the host and then I keep getting runtime errors/download errors (again everyone else does fine). I keep hearing the solutions of firewalls and port fowarding and the likes but my firewalls are turned off and port forwarding shouldnt matter for a client. Even so I have tried to see if the port is open and when I use the various websites and services to check (even a manual ping) everything tells me that port 1802 doesn't even exists for me. I have no idea what to do next (will a program like hamachi solve all my problems?) anyway, Thanks in advance for any help and if you need more info I would be happy to provide it.

Griogre
August 17th, 2009, 04:46
If it's corporate it very well may monitor outbound also and trottle it. That's rare for homer users but common for corporate users since you would be connecting to what it would consider a low priority server. There are also sometimes contracts where bandwith is reduced to corporate accounts after hours though this seems unlikely. I presume you play after hours so there also might be backup and other maintenance functions going on which are using up all the bandwith.

It you are on a wireless connection try switching to a wired connection.

Normally you could host with a VPN but whatever is causing the client problems is likely to cause the VPN problems. That's not certain, though.

Foen
August 17th, 2009, 05:35
Some corporate connections only allow traffic on certain ports (such as the ones associated with the http and mail protocols). You might be able to connect via VPN, but as Griogre says that could be closed too.