PDA

View Full Version : FGII Campaign Tools v2

Zeus
August 9th, 2009, 09:59
Hey All,

A quick note to say that I've recently updated Tenian's FGII Campaign Tools application (found over at the FGII RPGA Yahoo Group). I updated it mainly for my own use however after some initial testing and feedback, I thought I'd share the new release with the community.

For those of you unfamiliar with the original FGII Campaign Tools, its an application that Tenian orginally developed to ease the migration/copying of PCs from one campaign db.xml file to another.

v2 of the tools extends the functionaility to include extensible XSLT support enabling GM's to directly import PCs from 3rd party applications and/or view/print character sheets all from within a single application. v2 is .NET compliant and requires MS's latest framework (3.5). The XSLT engine is based upon SAXON9 (runtime bundled) and is XSLT 2.0 compliant.

FGII Campaign Tools v2 includes two bundled XSLT plugins. The first is based upon the latest cut of EugeneZ's excellent 4E CB XLS stylesheet enabling PCs to be imported from the latest build of DDI CB (Aug 09). The 2nd is based upon MeepoSose's excellent 4E Character Sheet XSL. I have been given permission to distribute modified versions of these XSL stylesheets along with the app.

Please note that the bundled XSL plugins are for use with 4E_JPG ruleset campaign files only. Whilst the application can support other FGII rulesets, it has not been tested and therefore results are unknown. Feedback is always welcome so please let me know if a specific ruleset causes any problems and I'll see what I can do.

Now that a foundation has been laid I am hoping the community will develop further XSL plugins to extend support to other rulesets. I plan to continue to collaborate with EugeneZ and MeepoSose on the 4E_JPG XSL plugins, improving them and widening the functionality e.g. detailed and linkable powers for PC's imported from CB. Stay tuned. If your interested in supporting the development of XSL plugins for other rulesets, please let me know.

I have included a basic ReadMe document which outlines functionaility available and usage.

The Beta of v2 can be downloaded from https://zgp.eugenez.net/FGII Campaign Tools v2 Beta/ (https://zgp.eugenez.net/FGII%20Campaign%20Tools%20v2%20Beta/) DISCLAIMER: This software is in BETA. Use at your own risk.

My thanks to Tenian for his continued and valued support, to Moon_Wizard & co. for the outstanding 4E_JPG ruleset and to MeepoSose and EugeneZ for their XSL knowledge and contributions.

Bidmaron
August 10th, 2009, 03:45
Thank you for your work, zephp. I have long wanted to make a converter 3.5<->RPGXplorer. This may help me get that kick-started.

Aeoreign
October 12th, 2009, 19:42
I tried to import my PC from DDI character builder .although there is no step by step tutorial, but I found while I saved character in CB, I choose file format to "*.*" and save file name as ????.XML (???? is ur character name). then the campaign tool indeed can import the PC and showed the stats, feats,skills correctly. It's awesome
seems the plugin is kindly outdate, at this moment this method can't correctly import power and some stuff, could you please update this tool to compatiable to latest version of character builder? thanx a lot ^^

Zeus
October 12th, 2009, 21:41
I tried to import my PC from DDI character builder .although there is no step by step tutorial, but I found while I saved character in CB, I choose file format to "*.*" and save file name as ????.XML (???? is ur character name). then the campaign tool indeed can import the PC and showed the stats, feats,skills correctly. It's awesome
seems the plugin is kindly outdate, at this moment this method can't correctly import power and some stuff, could you please update this tool to compatiable to latest version of character builder? thanx a lot ^^

Strange, I thought I changed the tool to accept a .DDI file. I'll check and if not, will update as soon as I can.

I havn't updated the DDI plugin in some time. Its likely the CB updates from WotC have also changed the character sheet XML schema. I'll need to check.

The plugin is actually and adaptation of Eugenez's DDI CB Import XSL, so he really deserves the credit for the import functionality. I just provided a the all-in-one-app to manage the XSL transformation. The original import/export tool was written by Tenian, I just updated Tenian's original import/output functions to work via XML/XSL.

As for powers, hang tight as Eugenez has already implemented a new version which incorporates powers, however some of the changes will not be available to users of the solution until a future 4E_JPG 2.x release. Rest assured though as soon as he releases a dev copy to me I will be working to get campaign tools updated as soon as possible.

refs
November 24th, 2009, 22:55
Is it difficult to get the converter to accept 3,5 rules?

Zeus
November 26th, 2009, 18:24
Not difficult per se just time consuming as you need to modify the XSL to deal with the 3.5e stats.

All you need is an understanding of the 3.5e ruleset module format. I assume its close to d20 but as I don't play 3.5e I can't be sure.

DMJBone
November 29th, 2009, 07:58
DISCLAIMER-I'm an idiot...that said:

Eh, this is fantastic-I've been looking for a way to transfer characters to a new campaign-but I can't seem to get it to work...I can open the source campaign and the new campaign and export the characters to the target campaign-but when I load it-nothing's there. I tried the read me file-but didn't really find that helpful.

Here's what I do-(Running XP SP3)
Open source campaign (going through Application Data folder)
Open db.xml (characters now appear under 'Player Characters')

Open target campaign " "
Open db.xml

Here's where I get lost...

Can you please detail what steps I need to take from here?

Zeus
November 30th, 2009, 09:08
Once you have the source and targt campaigns loaded, simply left click a on a PC in the source window to select it and then right-click it to open a context menu which contains a few of options. View/Print PC Sheet, Export to File and Export to Target Campaign.

If you want to transfer the PC to the target campaign, select the last option, once exported FGII Campaign Tools will prompt you for the name of the file you want to save the target campaign as (this to ensure you don't overwrite an existing campaign db.xml file). Once saved FGII Campaign Tools will prompt if you want the newly created campaign file reloaded as the target campaign (this to allow you to continue copying other PCs etc).

Hope that helps.

Callum
March 30th, 2011, 16:37
Has anyone made a d20/3.5E version of this?

Zeus
March 30th, 2011, 16:44
Campaign Tools import/export of PC charsheet nodes functionality should work.

View/Print PC charsheets to HTML functionality will require a custom XSL for interpreting the inner-nodes of the d20/3.5E ruleset charsheets and the outputting to the desired format.

Callum
March 31st, 2011, 10:36
Thanks, DrZeuss. I think I could make the XSL myself, but I just wanted to check that I wasn't duplicating effort, especially as I have very little time available these days! If someone like Bidmaron has already done it, I don't want to do it over...

discinque
May 1st, 2011, 17:19
I'm doing something wrong....

When I load the tool, and click on Open Source - and Navigate to the FG2 folder - the only folder there to choose from is "4E (Extracted)" and there are lots of files listed in there - but whichever one I choose it gives an error.

Am I using the wrong 4e program? Is there another way for me to copy characters from one module to the next? Just a single file I can drag over to the new one? It's all the same players... just don't want to create each character sheet every time I make a new module

Thank you for your time and effort

Callum
May 3rd, 2011, 14:05
If you want your players' characters to persist across modules, it might be best to have a campaign which just holds the characters, and then open/close the modules with the adventures from inside that campaign.

discinque
May 3rd, 2011, 14:08
Ah that sounds ideal. I'll have to read up on that. So I just create a module, and export it - and then... I move it into the library where I can open it?

tdewitt274
May 3rd, 2011, 14:47
If you want your players' characters to persist across modules, it might be best to have a campaign which just holds the characters, and then open/close the modules with the adventures from inside that campaign.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't update a character in a module. You would need to update the character in the module, then export it again.

In Xorne's video tutorials, the characters were part of a generic campaign. The modules were linked through the library to the generic campaign and closed when no longer needed.

I've never looked into it, but I would think that you should be able to export the campaign that you're working on and it would not have the characters. So, for example, if you are currently working on an adventure and playing it at the same time, you should be able to export it and the campaign module would have the basics in it, and no characters.

You would then be able to link the adventure through the library and have it for reference.

Again, I could be wrong on both points.

Callum
May 3rd, 2011, 15:25
It's Xorn's method that I'm advocating, where you have a base campaign that holds just the characters, and then create a module for each adventure you play. tdewitt274 describes one way of setting this up from the position of having an adventure running with player characters in it.

Once you've exported a module, you should find it available for use under the Modules button in any other campaign.

Ictinike
May 3rd, 2011, 15:34
It's Xorn's method that I'm advocating, where you have a base campaign that holds just the characters, and then create a module for each adventure you play. tdewitt274 describes one way of setting this up from the position of having an adventure running with player characters in it.

Once you've exported a module, you should find it available for use under the Modules button in any other campaign.

I agree 100%. I initially started building the campaigns as the adventures that held the characters but quickly after moving through the adventures that I had I wanted to load another that had yet further adventures but couldn't find my characters.

Adopting Xorn's way of "Campaign Management" wherein having a head-end campaign that holds the character sheets, some basic info and that's it while loading up modules of content is the way to go.

I've done H0 Kobold Hall and now H1 KotSF now as modules and open them in the head-end campaign as I need them. Once done you can simply close the module and the adventures and open a new one.

This does require the GM side to do a bit more work creating the modules of content but I find once you have the done and exported you could quickly host another game, with new characters in a new head-end campaign and quickly open the module that was done prior and run the characters through it again very easily.

I think many initially start the way that I and others herein and around have done but have quickly adopted the above mentioned way for ease of use. No having to copy character sheets from campaign to campaign and once you have it setup it's very easy and simple.

Cheers,
~Ictinike

bigbsonnier
May 3rd, 2011, 16:43
Just to clarify, the campaign tools ... tool, allows taking a ddi character sheet export and creating a FGII character file (like with powers and items and such)?

Zeus
May 3rd, 2011, 16:59
Just to clarify, the campaign tools ... tool, allows taking a ddi character sheet export and creating a FGII character file (like with powers and items and such)?

No, it used to support this functionality, however since it was released and the XSL created, Wizards have since updated DDI several times and released a new version of the CB, I therefore strongly doubt it will work now.

Instead of using Campaign Tools for DDI import of characters, I would try and use EugeneZ's DDI Convertor tool. Its a bit more up to date and it better supports Powers etc. Note: for powers you will need a 4E Catalog (prepared using the 4E Parser tool). More information here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11239&highlight=Character+Builder).

snafusan
December 12th, 2011, 20:04
Sorry for bumping an old thread - is this tool still available by any means? I'd be interested in exporting FG2 characters for transfer to a live pen and paper session if at all possible - the original web host seems to be somewhat dead.

Zeus
December 13th, 2011, 01:16
Click the banner in my signature, it will take you to my new 4e portal. You can grab CT 2.0 from there.

Note the software tool is quite old and hasn't been updated in some time. Also 4e in FGII allows you to import/export characters using the /exportchar and /importchar chat window commands.

snafusan
December 13th, 2011, 03:08
Click the banner in my signature, it will take you to my new 4e portal. You can grab CT 2.0 from there.

Note the software tool is quite old and hasn't been updated in some time. Also 4e in FGII allows you to import/export characters using the /exportchar and /importchar chat window commands.

There are at least 3 things in this reply that should make me feel stupid for what I now see was me asking an obvious question!

Appreciate the fast reply - I wasn't aware of the /export commands and didn't think to click your signature.

CB Droege
December 31st, 2013, 16:02
Is this still a thing? The download link seems broken.

Trenloe
December 31st, 2013, 17:51
Is this still a thing? The download link seems broken.
Dr Zeuss's work is available on his site - click the image in his signature above. Find the campaign tools to download in the "Fantasy Grounds II" section. You'll need to register on the site (helps to avoid spam) - I've never had any unwanted email from the site, so don't worry about registering.

CB Droege
January 1st, 2014, 16:53
I tried to register, but never received the authorization e-mail, so I assumed it was down. I'll give it another shot. Maybe I typed my address wrong.

Edit: Tried again with a different username and e-mail addy. Still no confirmation e-mail. Is the file hosted anywhere else? or could someone send it to me?

dr_venture
January 1st, 2014, 19:13
Yeah, I've had the same problem with Zeus' site - I've never been able to successfully register there.

Trenloe
January 1st, 2014, 19:42
You've checked your junk email/spam folder for the email?

dr_venture
January 1st, 2014, 20:00
First place I checked :)

CB Droege
January 1st, 2014, 20:37
Same.

damned
January 1st, 2014, 21:58
it may be getting captured at server by server side spam filter...

CB Droege
January 2nd, 2014, 05:27
Whatever is happening, the site is clearly not working.

Does anyone have a copy of the install file they could send to me, or some other way to print FG char sheets? My buddies are all in town for the holidays, and we want to run one session at a real table while we're together, but I don't want to have to fill out char sheets for them by hand for just one session if I can avoid it.

Trenloe
January 2nd, 2014, 07:55
Whatever is happening, the site is clearly not working.

Does anyone have a copy of the install file they could send to me, or some other way to print FG char sheets? My buddies are all in town for the holidays, and we want to run one session at a real table while we're together, but I don't want to have to fill out char sheets for them by hand for just one session if I can avoid it.
Sent you a PM.

I don't know how much mileage you'll get with displaying the character sheets - the PC character viewers was written for the 4E_JPG ruleset over 4 years ago, this ruleset has evolved since then and the underlying database fields may have changed.

It is only for 4E as well.

I've just done a test with the PCs from the 4E demo campaign "A Tale of Dinor" and they worked OK - so you might be OK.

Note Run the app by right clicking on "FGII Campaign Tools v2.exe" and selecting "Run As Administrator"- if you don't you will get a SEVERE XSLT error when trying to display the PC character sheet.

If it doesn't work for you, or you're not using the 4E ruleset then you may be limited to doing screenshots of your PCs within FG and printing those out.

CB Droege
January 2nd, 2014, 15:51
Thanks much! Even if it doesn't work for me, I really appreciate that you took the time to get it to me. :D

damned
January 2nd, 2014, 22:17
also - if it doesnt work - dont YOU transfer everything to paper - get everyone to spend 15mins doing their own :)