PDA

View Full Version : LFP - 4e - Eberron - Grasp of the Emerald Claw

Mask_of_winter
August 8th, 2009, 21:30
Deep in jungles of Xen'drik, a relic of great power has lain hidden for hundreds of years. Now, determined adventurers race against time and the nefarious agents of the Order of the Emerald Claw to locate the relic, overcome unimagined obstacles and unlock its ancient secrets.

I will be taking applications for this scenario (adapted from a 3.5 module) that will start within the next two weeks.

I am in the EST (GMT-5) time zone. I am available on Saturday afternoons and weekdays (except for Wednesday) from around 7pm until 11pm.

In this thread please provide the following information. I will pick 5 players to form a party. If the quantity and quality is sufficient, I will consider running two groups.

1. Your age

2. RPG experience (familiarity with the 4e ruleset and knowledge of the Eberron campaign setting)

3. Availability (day of the week and time slot)

4. An Eberron inspired character concept (this is important, Dragonborn paladin is not a concept, it's just a race and a class) Note: you can come up with more than one character concept

Once 5 spots have been filled, the chosen players will be contacted with further instructions.

It is a upper level heroic tier scenario. I thoroughly enjoy the Eberron setting and I can not stress enough how much I want to keep the "feel" of this setting. Dark pulp, intrigues, cinematic encounters, roleplaying quirky vilains, information gathering, vicious monsters and wondrous treasures are the ingredients of this scenario. Plan accordingly!

Flak
August 9th, 2009, 21:22
1. 21. Or Twenty-one.

2. Pretty familiar with the ruleset, but not the setting.

3. Monday, Thursday, Friday, from 7 to 11pm, so no problem there.

4. This part is the trickiest one. A former warrior of the Last War, trying to put his skills to use in the world; a survivor of the Day of Mourning, seeking to find the cause of the incident; an arcane archivist from Aundair curious of the world outside the university. Although its easy to come up with a background, I'll need more time to come up with the actual race and class.

PM me if you need more info.

Stealthfox16
August 10th, 2009, 11:14
1. I am Eighteen

2. I have been playing DnD for three years, and have played 1st, 3.5, and 4th as well as other roleplaying games. I am remotely familiar with Eberron, having read the books two or so years ago.

3. Thursday and Sunday from 5 PM to whenever.

4. Dusk, a warforged ranger, used to be a scout in the war, and is now plying his craft to scout out dangers that may be near towns, and occasionally helping get rid of it.
Marrix, A brutal, Barbarian, Dragonborn warrior. He fights, kills, and destroys any foe to honor his ancestors, who he believes is with him and will occasionally talk to.

l1wolf
August 10th, 2009, 19:10
1. 28 Years old
2. Experience with 3, 3.5 and 4e, limited with eberron
3. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday nights 6ish to 11ish are good.
4. a few character concepts
Half-Orc Rogue, Balan, whose mother was human. Abandoned his father due to his unsavory ways and decided to grow up with his mother. mother was later killed by his father and brothers whom he now hunts for revenge.

Warforged Barbarian who has embraced his primal rage to escape his 'unnatural' life.

Genasi Swordmage, a persecuted soul who doesn't trust quickly but will lay his life down for those whom he does.

I could also resurrect the Bard from the last campaign of yours I was in.

VarnFury
August 11th, 2009, 14:10
1: 23 years of age
2: I've played 3.5 mostly. I've played a few demo's of 4e. Little knownledge of Eberron.
3: Thursday night.
4: I know little of the world.... though my concept would be a fighter (Perhaps E.Knight type) following in his father's foot steps, In hope one day he would met his father face to face again.

Flak
August 11th, 2009, 21:12
I settled on a few concepts.
A)-Kett Saphraz, Half-Elf Artificer, a strange librarian in a university commissioned to find artifacts and magical devices.
B)-Lan, Changling Wizard, expert of illusions and deception. Currently masked as a mageling earning coin for a secure and remote place.
C)-Flynn Artek, Human Rogue, fresh from incarceration. He did the time, now time for some crime.

Mask_of_winter
August 16th, 2009, 06:31
Good work guys.

I'd still like to receive a few more apps so I'll wait a little longer before making a choice. The first session or two are ready to roll so let's hear it folks. Who will your hero be?

zohnnyg
August 16th, 2009, 09:47
are you the dm thats friends with kelly? if so he recommended you and ill join if on mondays or teusdays.

Mask_of_winter
August 16th, 2009, 15:14
yes that's me!

Welcome!

Fill out the application and soon as I'm satisfied with the apps and have 5 players I'll let you in on the rest of the details.

Necromik
August 16th, 2009, 16:14
Hi Mask

Just wondering what concepts and group role are already set?

Leader?
Defender?
Striker?
Controller?

Thanks

l1wolf
August 16th, 2009, 17:15
To anyone interested. He has not chosen players yet. If you look at the first post it shows you the 'application' format for how he will chose players. After he has chosen players I then believe the players will chose from the character concepts they came up with. The concepts I already have can cover strikers, defenders, or a leader. Some of the other people applying can also cover multiple roles.

Eru the One
August 16th, 2009, 17:36
1. 32
2. 2e, 3e, some 3.5, 4e
3. Monday & Saturday are best.
4. Smash - Warforged Fighter reactivated after many years in Xen'drik's depths trying to find out by who and why.
Erdan - Elven Avenger mercenary who looks for who killed his family while accepting any job that pays to further that goal
Halkad - Kalashtar Cleric following the Path of Light seeking crush any evil that is before him

zohnnyg
August 17th, 2009, 05:00
age 35

played 2 different characters up to level 3 in 4th edition so far. i know magic is different in eberron with the dragon marks and stuff. i know not all monsters in the monster manual are in eberron. the rest i know of eberron is from the mmo dungeons and dragons onlne.

i can play sundays, mondays and teusdays. anytime after noon is good for me. im pacific time usa.

ill play any race or class except healer. for instance crossbones skulltaker the savage barbarian. when battle arises he gets a crazed look in his eyes. he has a lust for death to his enemies. he once was so intrigued by the enemy he slaughtered and laid down that he skinned him and dried his flesh and wore it as light leather armor. often he would drink his enemies blood from the enemies very own skull.

anyways i can also make concepts that arent so gruesome.

Mask_of_winter
August 17th, 2009, 05:22
Every monster presented as core by WOTC has its place in Eberron.

With a good concept I will also allow monster races. In Eberron, Goblins, Hobgoblins and Bugbears are common in cities and are not necessarly evil. The Gnoll (from Drooam), Minotaur (from the Demon Wastes) and Kobold (from Q'barra) are also options. The only restricted I have is for the FR Swordmage which I would have to tie with the Eladrin as an art form unless someone comes up with a very cool concept. Genasi are also very rare in Eberron.

Dragonmarks in 4e are Feats that grants the holder uses of a few rituals and bonus to certain skills.

zohnnyg
August 17th, 2009, 06:10
can you give us a list of the books that we need to use to play?

Mask_of_winter
August 17th, 2009, 13:43
The Eberron Player's Guide

And then you'll find the races and classes in the Player's Handbook 1 & 2.

A DDI subscription with Dragon material and the Character builder are a good source also but it's not necessary.

l1wolf
August 17th, 2009, 15:48
Half-Orc Rogue, Balan, An escaped Slave from the region of Darguun. He adventures to make sure that he will never be enslaved again. Vehemently opposes slavery and when possible will help those who are enslaved. Tries to stay out of trouble with the law as he finds being imprisoned only slightly different from slavery

Titan, Warforged Barbarian who has designed to be an unstoppable solider during the war. His former owners tapped into the primal energies of Khorvaire to make him more effective. After the war he was released from duty since war is all he really knows he adventures to find purpose.

Genasi Swordmage, Many people feel that the Gensai village in Eldeen Reaches is a myth, but Kad-dim-sul knows it exists, or at least did. He was living there when he was a child and the village was attacked. He was found wandering in Shae Loralyndar and taken in by the Eladrin village. When they heard his story, and because of his aptitude the Eladrin taught him the way of the Swordmage. He now hunts for the village and those who attacked it.

Gnome Bard from Zilargo who used to work with Korranberg Chronicle, but felt that they approached the information wrong. He embraced the way bards gathered and told stories to the dry chronicling of facts. He now adventures to see history as it is made, and maybe make some himself.

penlin
August 18th, 2009, 17:35
1. 37 yrs old

2. I picked up core 4E rulebooks when they came out last year. I haven't gotten into a reliable 4E campaign yet (always hard on FG), but I've been doing little things here and there, so I would say I'm proficient with the rules. I've never played in Eberron, but I have read one of the novels and I do know the basic concepts (houses, dragonmarks, pulp/noir, Last War, etc).

3. Weekday evenings (Mon to Thu), 8 PM to midnight, EST

4. My PC fought in the Last War during the final year or two on the side of one of the major nations. He was a stealthy recon/scout type (and perhaps a sniper) for his unit. Depending on what hooks best into the adventure you have planned, he is either very loyal to his nation and has continued to spy for it during the ongoing cold war like intrigue. Or, he is now freelancing. Probably human, probably archer ranger or perhaps a rogue.

twiwolfex
August 18th, 2009, 20:10
1. 19

2. completely new, looking to learn

3. every day from 6pm-3am (est GMT-5) (i know no life)

4. Signius Cleath, Human Rogue, born into an honored family of thieves tries to maintain the family name (could change up if needed, not set in stone)

Necromik
August 20th, 2009, 03:33
Hey Mask

Here it goes the concept:

Raised in the deeps of Xen'drik Jungles, Khantar (Druid - Kalashtar) with his people, were living for hundred of years isolated from the whole world.
As a member of the "Jungle Dwellers" the tribe (or sect) left behind from the time when the Quori fought the Giants, the isolation has been so long and deep that loosing contact with the outside world was just one of the prices paid to survive!

The Kalashtar over time returned to a more simple way of live and became connected to the land and it's power, loosing it's formal religious culture and adopting the Nature and primal essence as their guides. Even the Dragonprophecy was forgotten, being a vague memory, only know by the eldest members.

After reaching the adulthood Khantar while doing his ritual to bond with the Nature was struck by an Lightning Strike and falling unconscious. But in his body something never heard of appeared, like a mark was burn into this flesh...a Dragonmark!

How will his people react?...Will he be cast out by fear and have to leave the "safe haven" in search for his "cure"....?

Necromik
August 20th, 2009, 03:33
Sorry...I got carried away...eheheh

Mask_of_winter
August 22nd, 2009, 22:33
bump.................

Mask_of_winter
August 23rd, 2009, 03:20
Still have one spot for Mondays 7pm EST (GMT -5)

Lysander
August 23rd, 2009, 17:36
If you have an opening, it would help the creative process to know the basics of what you have in the party so far, or what the group might still need.

l1wolf
August 23rd, 2009, 17:40
We have the four major roles covered. What he likes is for you to come up with a few ideas for a character, eberron based storylines and backgrounds, and let him chose which one fits into his campaign concept best.

Mask_of_winter
August 23rd, 2009, 17:49
Except at this point, since all roles are covered (swordmage, avenger, druid and artificer) any role can be good, especially another striker (ranged spiker like sorcerer or ranger) . I just want that characters are Eberron based, not generic. Pick a culture where you're from, a short story on how you became an adventurer, if you have a Dragonmark or not, if you're affiliated with any Houses. Needless to say, you need to at least read the first few pages of the Eberron's Player Guide.

Mask_of_winter
August 23rd, 2009, 18:19
... or a barbarian that could double as a defender

Carrion Tribe Human Barbarian
Halfling Talenta Plains Barbarian or beastmaster (Clawfoot rider)
Q'barra Dragonborn Barbarian
Sharn street rat (changeling, human or half-orc
Human Paladin of the Silver Flame
Shifter Fighter mercenary

ApocalypseSocks
August 26th, 2009, 03:47
1. 27

2. I’ve been playing D&D since I was maybe twelve. I’ve played in one fourth edition campaign so far, and I’m relatively new to the Eberron campaign setting.

3. Any weeknight and Sunday until 11, tentatively. I’m in Eastern Standard, and my job is mostly early mornings and afternoons. A floating schedule rather than a preset night might work better if that’s feasible

4. Theron is a Halfling Ranger, and was born into House Jorasco—his twin sister Thelia was dragonmarked. He was not. Growing up during the Last War, he served his house, enjoying the relative safety that comes with neutrality, while trying to ignore and forget the horrors of the conflict all the while.

When Sahemi preached the potential to heal the very land itself, Thelia, eager and idealistic, was drawn in, and decided to undertake the mission to Mournland. Theron, pragmatic and usually very protective, wanted no part of it. Predictably, they did not part on the best of terms. He did not hear from his sister for a long time afterwards, and, propelled by his guilt, set out to find her. He barely survived the Mournland, and even worse, found no trace of his sister. He assumed the worst.

Between the loss of his sister, and the horrors he has witnessed both in his journeys, and his service to his house, Theron left Khorvaire, and severed ties to his house. He began searching for a new life in a new place. Stormreach provided opportunities to those interested, and he found his way there. Since then, he has spent his years losing himself to the wilderness of Xen’drik, trying to find something to replace the void that has become his life.

Mask_of_winter
August 26th, 2009, 14:48
Please note that we play every Monday 7-11pm EST (GMT -5).

Necromik
August 27th, 2009, 05:02
Hey Mask

What about the Halfling being my friend from the past?...

Agathon
August 28th, 2009, 23:59
1. Your age
43 (gads, am I really that old?)

2. RPG experience (familiarity with the 4e ruleset and knowledge of the Eberron campaign setting)

I've been playing D&D since the original boxed set. Ahh the good ol' days. I'm a big fan of 3.5 and originally dissed 4th edition until I listened to a session being played on a podcast. Now I've GMd a few 4E games and I'm getting a better feel for what the designers intend for the game. I'm really eager for some player experience.

3. Availability (day of the week and time slot)

I'm on Pacific time, so my availability starts on weekdays at 9:00 EST and I could stay up as late as necessary. I'm pretty much wide open for any Saturday/Sunday times.

4. An Eberron inspired character concept (this is important, Dragonborn paladin is not a concept, it's just a race and a class) Note: you can come up with more than one character concept

My first choice is a Human Artificer with the Mark of Making, fiercely loyal to House Cannith (South). House Politics is a necessary evil in his life though he has yet to become important enough to make a difference. Being both dragon marked and an artificer means he is already being watched closely, however.

He's a believer in knowledge for Knowledge's sake. He is not particularly greedy (except perhaps for dragonshards) and believes himself to be a good man, not capable of such things as murder and the like.

The end of the war has canceled his military duties (just as he was about to get started), and he now finds himself looking for a way to impress his colleagues and achieve his expected potential.

Agathon

Mask_of_winter
September 25th, 2009, 18:18
We have an opening for Mondays 7-11pm EST.

Submit your character concept. You can either use this thread or pm me. The group could use a striker. Either a barbarian or ranged striker.

The team has a Swordmage, Artificer, Avenger and Druid.

Nuah
September 25th, 2009, 19:14
1. 25 (I be getting old)

2. Ive been playing 4e for a couple of months, have a weekend game with friends (tho we are all kinda new) and ive been in two FG games that both fell apart after a couple of months

3. Im available Mon, Wed, Thurs evenings

4. I have two ideas for characters
half Orc barbarian, her tribe was killed when a noble seeking to expand his lands decided that it would be easier to permanantly 'remove' the problem rather than negotiate. She swears revenge on the house that did this to her, and will not rest until the house lies in ruins.

Thanks to her Half Orc blood she is quick to anger and quick to act. often making brash decisions without thinking of the consequences.

or - A Human Bard, Born of noble blood and having the finest education, but what really captivated him were stories of great deeds done by brave men, though his privilaged life has left him a little naive he is suprisingly capable.

Necromik
September 26th, 2009, 23:26
Hi Nuah

If I may suggest you could take a quick overview on the Eberron Book for 4edition so you could give more "flavor" to your concept with actual region from where you village was, se if the "lord" that took the land could be related to the dragon houses or some other kingdom from Khovaire...., countries etc.....

In Eberron there is a whole remnant kingdom from an old fallen empire of Hobgoblins and orcs and family... I mean this are just ideas and I can help you with that if you want, just pm me or Mask of Winter if you want to know more about it.

Craw
October 2nd, 2009, 02:46
If you are still needing a player for Monday evenings, I'd like to throw my hat in the ring. I ran a 3.5 game and participated in a few others back with the original Fantasy Grounds three years ago. I'd love to get into a 4e game (kids are old enough to ignore for a few hours now - thank God.)

If you need another, I'll put together a few character concepts for review.

[old geezer voice] "Back in my day, we didn't have Eberron. We played Grayhawk and we liked it!" Being 38, I DID find it necessary to go buy an Eberron book so I would have a clue.

TheHangedGod
October 5th, 2009, 02:58
1. Your age: 31

2. RPG experience: New to table top, but been playing 4e for about 8 months and just began DMing at my local Saturday meetup.

3. Availability: I prefer about 7:30-12:30 EST weeknights (I'm CST) and any time Sunday.

4. I have a couple of concepts. The first one I dreamed up before I saw the classes you were still looking for, but I'll give both to you anyway:

Thomas Parson or Thomas of Nathyrr, Half-elf cleric of The Silver Flame

Thomas was abandoned as a child at one of the Silver Flame's orphanages outside of Nathyrr. Brought up within the church, it was natural for him to receive the calling and serve as a priest. As a young man, he was sent to Sharn to start a mission as part of the efforts of the church to expand its influence beyond Thrane. He soon became disgusted by the excesses of the nobility, and became an outspoken supporter of social reform. Hoping to avoid an international incident, leaders of the church recalled Thomas. When he refused to give up his post, he was defrocked and excommunicated.

Now, betrayed and friendless, Thomas leaves Sharn in search of a cause to fight for.

Possible hooks include a cheesy (but fun) unknown twin, foreshadowed by his name.

Akalam, dragonborn star-pact warlock.

Born in Qbarra and mindful of his ancient heritage, Akalam feels that his destiny is somehow tied to the Draconic Prophecy. Desperate to understand his purpose, he has devoted himself to the study of the stars and astrology. His pursuits dismissed by his family as useless, Akalam strikes out to find his way. Through adventure, he intends to apply his arts and hopefully find something that he's overlooked.

Hook potential: perhaps Akalam is the only dragonborn with a dragonmark? Perhaps it's hidden to all but the most adept in the arcane arts?

My campaign:

https://www.obsidianportal.com/images/banners/op_banner1_468x60.png (https://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/terraincognita)

Necromik
October 5th, 2009, 19:51
If you are still needing a player for Monday evenings, I'd like to throw my hat in the ring. I ran a 3.5 game and participated in a few others back with the original Fantasy Grounds three years ago. I'd love to get into a 4e game (kids are old enough to ignore for a few hours now - thank God.)

If you need another, I'll put together a few character concepts for review.

[old geezer voice] "Back in my day, we didn't have Eberron. We played Grayhawk and we liked it!" Being 38, I DID find it necessary to go buy an Eberron book so I would have a clue.

Hey Craw if you are Interested send a good concept with your application format. If the concept is good I'm sure Mask of Winter will take a look

mmoman101
October 6th, 2009, 18:44
1. Your age--35

2. RPG experience

Started playing basic D&D way back in the day. i have extensive experience in basic and advanced. I have played one 3.5 session and zero 4.0. I do have the 4.0 player handbooks. I have read them. I have never played a table top game online. I do not know anything about this game world but am willing to read up on it if you select me. I might need a bit more help with some of the rules.

3. Availability
Monday is good for me now.

I do not know much about the world but I have a few ideas about characters.

Ranger or Warlock race TBA.
The premise is a the character has an internal struggle. their nature is extreme violence with a hint of bloodlust. However, the character dislikes them self because of it. He would like to be a good and caring person but his nature constantly pulls him into violence.

I would play him as a quite, reserved, introspective person in times of peace. However, when things get tense he will tend towards violence and when things go awry he may fall into a fevered crazy where he just wants to kill.

I like this didactic and think it leave room for the character to grow and evolve as he gathers more experiences.

I also like the idea of a caster class that is extremely gluttonous. He would be a person who has an innate ability to cast magic and because it comes so easy to him he does not work hard at it. His goals would be to gain gold so he can gamble, drink, and find a warm moist spot for his "magic wand".

In battle he would be just as willing to cut and run as fight. He might not his neck out for anyone; constantly reevaluating the odds and his chance to get to hurt. Of course if some saved his hide 3 or 4 times he may be willing to repay the favor once and never let them live it down. Again I think this player has room for growth as the game progress.

These are just basics of my concepts. I think the former would be better for group/campaign that is is more serious. I think the later is better for a group/campaign that wants a more lively experience. However, the "Falstaff" type caster may get on some peoples nerves so I can understand if people would rather I not play this type of character.

I would rather play the introspective character because I feel he fits in most groups better. If you are interested in having me join the group please contact me at [email protected].

Appreciate your time and consideration and look forward to hearing from you.

Mask_of_winter
October 6th, 2009, 18:59
I appreciate the quality of recent applicants. Seems like you would be a great addition to our group.

However, the roster is currently full and well rounded.

With that said, I will remind you that players tend to come and go quite frequently on FG2. It is the nature of things I guess. So if a spot were to open up, I will contact you.

Thanks again for your interest in the campaign.

Eric

Mask_of_winter
October 25th, 2009, 16:48
The group needs a striker for tomorrow's game. First one to confirm he can make it (7pm EST) is in. Reply to the thread and I will contact you.

Mask_of_winter
October 26th, 2009, 02:58
All those who showed interest earlier and those now looking for a 4e game, this is your chance.

This is the makeup of the team:
Half-elf Artificer
Kalashtar Druid
Genasi Swordmage
Elven Avenger

We play Mondays from 7pm est til 10pm. Characters are 6th level. The party could use another striker to dispatch enemies more quickly but if you feel strongly about a different Eberron character concept that's cool too.

Contact me asap.

Mask_of_winter
October 28th, 2009, 02:12
We are still looking.

Mask_of_winter
November 1st, 2009, 15:23
bump...........

Drizzt06
November 2nd, 2009, 17:37
I think i could be interested, the only problem is i do have a game the runs 1pm till 4 and possibly later 5 latest my time which is PST, i could try to run both which i wouldn't mind doing just might be a tight squeeze

ed_wolfe
November 3rd, 2009, 13:48
1. Your age: 45

2. RPG experience: Familiar with 4e but not very familiar with Eberron

3. Availability: If the game is still on on Mondays, I'm available. If it's a different day, let me know when that is, and I'll let you know about my schedule.

4. An Eberron inspired character concept: Let me know what you need to fill out the group.