PDA

View Full Version : Detecting existing/previous installation..

Jozan
August 5th, 2009, 01:35
How do I go about completely uninstalling Fantasy Grounds to where I can run a fresh installer and it not detect the CD Key from the previous installation?

I want to install a Lite version onto my computer that I had uninstalled a Full version from. When I run a new installer it detects the Full version and will not let me enter the CD Key for Lite version. Please help. :)

EugeneZ
August 5th, 2009, 05:54
DISCLAIMER: This isn't an official response. The instructions below MAY screw up your entire computer, especially when done wrong. I'm trying to help, but, that said, messing with the Windows registry is something that should only be done with care.

Anyway, hit WinKey + R (or click Start > Run) and type 'regedit' and hit enter. If you're using Vista/Win7, it'll ask for admin rights. Careful what you do in this program.

You should see a left pane and a right pane. In the left pane, open the HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder. Find and open the Software folder. Right click on the Fantasy Grounds folder and delete it. Confirm the deletion after being absolutely sure it's the correct key (folder).

Suffice it to say that you should never do this if Fantasy Grounds is installed.

Griogre
August 5th, 2009, 06:01
To completely remove FG you need to remove the key in the registry that holds your license number. It's HKEY_CURRENT_User\Software\FantasyGrounds

Please note messing around with the registry and deleteing the wrong thing can make your computer unuseable.

Edit: Out typed by EugeneZ

Jozan
August 5th, 2009, 06:10
Thanks for the help. I'll be very careful.