PDA

View Full Version : New to RPG campaigns

drharris
August 4th, 2009, 19:46
Hey all,

I have recently become unsatisfied with playing graphical RPGs/MMORPGs and thought I'd join up with a pen and paper D&D game. Only there seems to be no D&Ders where I live, and finally found this site after searching online.

Needless to say, I'm a newbie to the pen and paper style, but have played countless MUDs and graphical RPGs over the years. I'm hoping there is someone who is willing to DM for newbies who want to learn to play. Or if there is a group of experienced folks who are willing to take on a newbie who promises to learn quickly, that would be great also.

Alternatively, if there is somewhere else I can go to learn the basics, please point me into the right direction. Looking forward to playing with some of you!

David

Karazax
August 5th, 2009, 04:13
The first thing is to pick which rule edition of D&D you are interested in playing. 4th edition is the newest version, and you can get a decent overview from the free quick start rules found here:
https://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/QuickStartRules.pdf

If you want the complete player rules for 4e or an older version of D&D, then purchasing the Player's Handbook for the version you want to play will be what you should look for, which can usually be found for a decent price on Amazon.com.

theevilsmurf88
August 5th, 2009, 07:34
D&D 3.5 has also been opened up as open source and is available for free in a lot of places. It doesn't have the detail that the actual books have but it does have the meat.

This is my personal favorite place to get it. www.d20srd.org I think it is organized the best plus dice roller, monster filter, and encounter calculator= win.

Also if you want I am running a 3.5 campaign called Misty Glade had a lot of people express interest but few following through. I still have 3 spots (maybe even 4) open. Take a look send me a PM or a IM through AIM