PDA

View Full Version : Cannot run software

swede1022
August 4th, 2009, 04:41
Software does not run. Updater runs when I attempt to run software. UPdater says "Done" but when I click "DONE" is just closes, and that's that.

I followed instructions in FAQ regarding display drivers.

Running late-model VAIO laptop with second monitor on Vista biz. I can send DxDiag file if that would help.

swede1022
August 4th, 2009, 05:04
Yikes! I just saw post about opening ports or something like that. That's a joke right? I have no clue how to configure routers, and I don't really want to learn. Mine is DLink DIR 655. Are there simple instructions somewhere of what I need to do? I kind of wish that the "System requirements" information would have said more than "Internet Connection" if I needed to be able to configure it...

I guess I'll go to bed and hope someone offers some excellent advice...
Gniters for now!
-Brian

Dupre
August 4th, 2009, 15:47
The updater should not need any modifications to your router. You may need to allow Fantasy Grounds to go online however, if you have a software firewall running on your PC. If this is not the case, right click on the updater executable and choose Run as Administrator.

Hamish
August 5th, 2009, 12:58
Lately there have been reports that the main executable gets an incorrect name after installation. Please check if you have a file called FantasyG.exe somewhere. If you do, rename it to FantasyGrounds.exe

thegascon
August 21st, 2009, 05:04
Just purchased the full version and two lites after a GenCon demo.

Downloaded the installer, ran it, and inserted the key.

The updater runs (asks permission from Vista), chugs along for a whole updating files, but then the program does not load.

I have granted the program permission through the firewall and have run both the main program and the updater as the administrator.

I'm out of ideas at the moment and would much appreciate and assist.

Thanks,

Jim

Oberoten
August 21st, 2009, 06:07
The directories will not be set up correctly if you run the install as Admin under vista.

Uninstall and re-install with normal privileges and it will work.

- Obe

cyberraptor1958
August 21st, 2009, 23:26
The directories will not be set up correctly if you run the install as Admin under vista.

Uninstall and re-install with normal privileges and it will work.

- Obe

I uninstalled, and re-installed. On Vista, it requires admin, and asks for it, so I don't see any way to follow this suggestion.

It looks to me like it is having problems updating the specific file FantasyGrounds.exe, since everything else was fine in the update.

arheide
August 22nd, 2009, 15:59
I also have d/l and installed FG2 and when I run the app as admin or regular... I still get the updater popping up. once it's done nothing happens. How do I run the actual program?

Griogre
August 22nd, 2009, 20:49
I uninstalled, and re-installed. On Vista, it requires admin, and asks for it, so I don't see any way to follow this suggestion.

It looks to me like it is having problems updating the specific file FantasyGrounds.exe, since everything else was fine in the update.

There can be some confusion over this. There is a two step process - Setup and Update - here.

When you *install* the program - ie run the Setup program - you should not run the setup program as admin. This means you don't right click on the setup and tell Vista to run the Setup program with admin privileges. It's OK to be on Vista running an admin account - you just don't want to promote the *Setup* program. If the *Setup* Program asks for admin you may have a problem because it *should* not. FYI the *Setup* program just installs the *Update* program mostly and sets registry values, ect.

The *Update* program is different. When you run the Update program if you have UAC enabled you will be asked to allow the Updater to run - and you should say "Yes" to this. If you don't have the UAC enabled you may *need* to run the *Update* program as an administrator.

There have been reports of the Fantasy Grounds exe file name be truncated at 8 characters - normally these seem to go away with a re-install after an uninstall. Remember it you can’t get things sorted out you should e-mail [email protected] but an uninstall, reboot, re-install solves an amazing amount of problems. :confused:

Griogre
August 22nd, 2009, 21:03
I also have d/l and installed FG2 and when I run the app as admin or regular... I still get the updater popping up. once it's done nothing happens. How do I run the actual program?
If the updater doesn't really run after your first install then you don't really have the FG program. The most common reason for this is a problem with your license key - forgetting to put in the dashes, typing it in wrong etc. Unfortunately if you think the problem is the license number you need to go into the registry after uninstalling FG and deleting the registry key.

Messing with the registry can be dangerous and can totally wipe out Windows, - but if you are comfortable with editing the registry - after uninstalling FG then go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ and delete the Fantasy Grounds Key. As an alternative you can go into the entry and check the LicenseKey to see if the correct key was input. Note one of the most common problems with reg keys is white space - ie having a space before or after entry which you can't see by just looking.

arheide
August 23rd, 2009, 13:58
No the Key is correct, same as the one I was given; dashes are there and there are no spaces. I will try uninstalling and reinstalling and see what happens.

arheide
August 23rd, 2009, 14:33
No the Key is correct, same as the one I was given; dashes are there and there are no spaces. I will try uninstalling and reinstalling and see what happens.

alright, I uninstalled it, restarted PC... then launched the setup program normally and let the PC run the updater itself upon finishing and the program is back. I ran the exe normally w/o right clicking for admin and It opens. Seems to be working now, cross your fingers.