PDA

View Full Version : Looking to lurk DnD 3.5, D20 modern/future or Rifts

moonknight
August 2nd, 2009, 04:53
Greetings all! Newbie here. VERY interested in running/playing Fantasy Grounds with my buds. But, before I actually attempt it, I would love to just lurk a couple of sessions to see how things run in realtime.

Andrepartthree
August 2nd, 2009, 16:05
You already have purchased a license (which you'd need I think even to log in and participate as a "lurker") though right? :)

If so I can ask my dm dpeters911 if you can observe a few game sessions :) ... we are having MAJOR connection problems right now we're trying to sort out i.e. you might need to sit tight and wait for a while before being able to successfully connect plus the games tend to start at 11pm to 12pm Eastern time zone (10pm if we're lucky) ... if interested let me know, if not I'd recommend directly PM'ing the people running existing campaigns here (they normally start a thread on here actively recruiting players) and asking them if you can sit in ;) ...

The major criticism of FG is it can be slow ... takes longer to type than it does to talk (though there are DM's who use free pc voice programs such as skype and vent to try and get around this) but I'm still a huge fan of the program, lets you look for players nationwide as opposed to your local community of "live" players :)

Actually now that I think of it if you're interested PM me directly I might forget to check this thread :P .. but seriously go for it, FG is a great program tons o' fun :)

Andrepartthree
August 2nd, 2009, 18:33
Sorry I should have clarified ! When I say slow I'm referring to actual game play itself, players complain sometimes that since they have to type what their PC is doing rather than being able to say it out loud (like at the gaming table with "live" players) that it slows the game down for them i.e. they can't type as fast as they speak... obviously if you're a fast typist that's not a problem and if you're using vent or skype you can also get around the problem that way.

One BIG problem I have noticed however is connection issues - sometimes you can connect to FG smooth as silk, other times it's a nightmare... Himachi (which is a free download) can sometimes help you get around connection problems but not always.. connection problems have a lot to do with the speed (download/upload rates) of your internet connection.

Xorne also made some awesome tutorials, check this website

https://rpgvirtualtabletop.com/tutorials/tutorials.html

or do a google search "xorne", "fantasy grounds" "tutorials"

Andrepartthree
August 3rd, 2009, 16:19
Hey check this thread too

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=76901#post76901