PDA

View Full Version : Pony Request

slitherrr
July 28th, 2009, 15:55
I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but I was thinking that a helpful feature would be the ability to choose a language in which the character is speaking. Characters with that language listed on their sheets would see the words, others would see gibberish. OOC would skip the language filter.

That is all.

Spyke
July 28th, 2009, 16:11
Fun, but tricky to implement.

To be fully automated, it would need to be ruleset-specific, in order to to be able to parse the list of languages in the correct field on the character sheet, and would also require an input field or pop-up list of languages implemented in the chat box (as the chat is not directly linked to a particular NPC sheet, and is often just running off an alias created for the dialog with /id).

To be more generic you could add a button to the chat window which would ignore what the language actually is, leaving that up to the GM to check, but allow the user to set which logged in players got to see gibberish and which got to see the real words.

It's also true that even when you don't understand a language you can still get people and place names. I can't see how to implement that without the GM having to put encoding into the chat to show which words could show through, but maybe you could set a percentage understood and let a random selection of words through not garbled.

Spyke

Valarian
July 28th, 2009, 17:56
I wonder if something could be done with a slash code handler like the mood toggle (e.g. /language Elven). The code would have to read the language lists in the db.xml and deliver the correct message those players who can understand. To all others, it would have to deliver a message like: Orien speaks Elven.

Lithl
July 28th, 2009, 18:15
My Exalted ruleset has something similar. The Storyteller is capable of sending messages in High Realm, either as story, ST chat, NPC chat, or emotes. However, players aren't able to do so.

The problem, of course, is that there are more letters in High Realm than there are in English, so translating is tricky. The solution I settled on was to just provide the character mapping (https://sites.google.com/site/fgexalted/High-Realm), and let the ST figure it out. My assumption is that few storytellers would write High Realms on the fly, but rather make it a part of the story, so they could take time to make the translation beforehand.

I may create a translation tool similar to Wordman's Exalted Script Translator (https://rpg.divnull.com/exalted/script.html) in the future, but for now it's all up to the Storyteller.

Phystus
July 28th, 2009, 23:40
One other wrinkle to consider is that players sometimes play more than one character at once.

~P