PDA

View Full Version : Running FG for my paper game as a virtual map..

Cosmo
July 27th, 2009, 23:53
Ok,

I am planning on getting ride of the markers and battle map. I would like to run FG for my pen and papper game, but don't want the monster stats and such visible to the players. Is there a way to run the Server and a client at the same time on the same machine so theplayers to do not see the stats and etc? I have a 50 inch HDTV which shows the FG UI just fine, plus I have a second monitor I would like to have the server running on so I can do all of the DM stuff out of view..

Any ideas???

Phystus
July 27th, 2009, 23:58
That's easy, just start a second instance of FG, and sign on under a different username. For the IP address put 'localhost' (without the quotes).

You'll have to share the mouse with the players when they want to move their tokens, though.

~P

Griogre
July 28th, 2009, 01:28
It's even easier if you have two monitors you place the player instance on the second monitor and turn it towards them and keep the DM version on the monitor facing you.

While this works, because you have to do everthing you would probably find it much better if you have the player version on a second computer or laptop so you didn't have to share the keyboard or mouse and the players could play "hot seat" on the player computer.

terrell
July 28th, 2009, 12:34
I am doing this with a projector for my weekly game and the convention games I will be running this for the remainder of the year. The projector throws the client view up on a small screen or wall. The players have a laser pointers to pass around when their turn is up in combat for any movements they need to indicate. Just have to keep the laser pointer duels down to a minimum...lol

It is nice to be able to also show images of the NPC they are talking with, setting shots, too many uses to mention really.

Cosmo
July 28th, 2009, 19:09
Hum, I keep getting an error saying the Graphic Engine cannot be started. Weird...

Phystus
July 28th, 2009, 23:22
One quirk I've found with dual monitors is that you need to have both monitors on and your graphics card set to dualview before you start FG. I tried (once) to switch to dualview with FG running and it crashed. That was under version 2.3.6, I haven't tried with the new version. It may be a quirk of my graphics card too, I suppose.

~P

Tenian
July 29th, 2009, 11:52
It still happens in 2.4.4, FGII is not very forgiving to overall graphic changes. Altering your resolution while the game is running will either cause it to crash or the FGII window will go black and be unresponsive.

Cosmo
July 29th, 2009, 23:41
Ok, thanks for the advice it worked...
1. I setup my dual monitors (extended desktop)
2. Launched FG twice (did not load game)
3. Arranged the DM FG Instance on my secondary (small) monitor
4. Arranged the Player FG Instance on the larger monitor
5. Loaded the FG Game (DM instance)
6. Connected the Player instance using Internal IP...

Worked great!