PDA

View Full Version : Players cannot see Tokens on combat map...

Cosmo
July 20th, 2009, 01:52
After the last update, none of my players can see the tokens on the MAP...
Any one else having this issue?

We are running the 4e ruleset

What is weird everything worked last week (sunday - July 12th)

EugeneZ
July 20th, 2009, 04:22
Players occasionally have that problem but its usually because something caused the cache to invalidate itself and the player is re-downloading the tokens. Sometimes it takes a while (an hour) for them to start seeing them again and they all download in a rush.

Cosmo
July 20th, 2009, 16:54
Is there a way to clear the cache for everyone and force a new (fresh) reload
?

Tenian
July 20th, 2009, 17:29
You can have them delete the campaign directory from their machines.
However this will wipe out the hotkeys and force them to reload EVERYTHING.

Token transfers seem to be at the low end of the transfer priority scale. I know modules used to transfer above them. Which means if you changed a client module it will transfer before the tokens. Modules tend to be much larger than tokens so it still might take a while.

The best thing you can probably do is to bring up the server on a few off days and have some of your players connect. This will allow them greater access to your bandwidth (since it won't be split 5/6 ways). Especially if you've created now modules or significantly updated the ruleset.

Cosmo
July 20th, 2009, 17:49
Well, we will consider that if all else fails! I also upgraded my upload speed to 2 megabits per second (Timer Warner grrrrr....) Anyway, thanks for the input.

Blue Haven
July 20th, 2009, 18:24
Don´t blame the internet speed :P i have a 24Mb connection and it happens the same ;)

Cosmo
July 20th, 2009, 22:34
Well that just sucks... Is there any configuration file (xml or app.config) that can be changed manually to increase the frequency it checks for changes and etc...

Blue Haven
July 21st, 2009, 12:15
I have no idea :(

Griogre
July 21st, 2009, 21:26
There aren't any setting you can change. However, if you are running a game that has been going on for a while there was a change several major versions ago in ownership that means a large amount of data must transfered to the clients everytime they connect. When this data tansfer is happening the tokens don't transfer because they have a lower priorty than the ownership transfers.

These old ownership transfers are not typically important to a long running campaign because they are of old adventure maps, ect. This is most likely to happen in a game where you have both the PC characters and all adventures combined instead of where you have the main campaign just hold the PCs and use adventure modules.

If your players are getting these transfers then you can try a work around by freeing all the PC characters and telling you player to each log in with a different login ID and then claming their characters. Ownership is tied to the login ID so that breaks the chain of old ownership transfers.

Cosmo
July 21st, 2009, 21:42
Very cool trick, I will try it...

Griogre
July 21st, 2009, 22:10
If this works, bear in mind the real issue is you have an obsolete campaign data structure. If you campaign is nowhere near finished then you will be better off long term making a brand new campiagn and having the players re-input their characters at the end of your next adventure. It's not worth the hassle of doing this unless you are sure that's the problem or you have a long time to go on that campaign, though.