PDA

View Full Version : How often do you play?

TFWoods3
July 16th, 2009, 15:39
I'm just wondering how many active groups are going on right now and how often do you play (on FG, not at the table).

John_Geeshu
July 16th, 2009, 15:43
Our group tries to play weekly, but is not always successful.

Zoso
July 16th, 2009, 15:46
My group gets together every Friday for a morning/afternoon game, although one of the guys works a 4 on/4 off schedule so he's not always around.

mr_h
July 16th, 2009, 15:58
Our groups goal was every other Thursday....
Right now we're hitting about once a month. :/

Admiral Ed
July 16th, 2009, 16:15
I'm running a game with 3 players and we play whenever we're all available. Sometimes it's once a week, sometimes once a fortnight, sometimes multiple games over a few days.

TFWoods3
July 16th, 2009, 17:11
I'm running a game with 3 players and we play whenever we're all available. Sometimes it's once a week, sometimes once a fortnight, sometimes multiple games over a few days.

I'm jealous, we are trying to get to play once a week. But it's hard to get all 4 players schedules to line up right to pull that off.

Valarian
July 16th, 2009, 18:50
Two or three times a week. Currently, running one and playing in two.

Foen
July 16th, 2009, 19:27
Once a week - I take it in turns with another guy to GM and we have 6-8 regular players. My D&D3.5 desert campaign alternates with WoD and SWSE, but with the odd dip into CoC, RM etc.

Dershem
July 16th, 2009, 19:49
two different groups 2 times a week. Or at least that's the plan the one won't start til next week. And the other has had huge problems in july as far as schedualing.

CampbellR66
July 16th, 2009, 19:51
We are playing weekly
3 guys on a LAN with PC's in one location
DM plus one or two other on single pcs out on the web.

We are running via skype but this struggles once number o people on skype conference exceeds 4-5.

DNH
July 16th, 2009, 20:17
We play once a week but not always using FG2. I alternate DMing duties with my brother who runs a 3.5e/Pathfinder game via kLoOge. We almost always hit our one session a week now (we had some messing about a while back and had to be a bit hardline about it), although there's the usual summer hiatus about now.

Oberoten
July 16th, 2009, 21:11
Hmmm ... lets see? Every free day I try face-to-face game if I can with the girlfriend. When I am working I try to get an hour of FG-time in at the very least.

- Obe

Foen
July 16th, 2009, 21:28
As regards non-playing FG time, I spend at least an hour a day (mostly two) building campaigns or rulesets. It is playing time which is once per week for three hours.

Griogre
July 16th, 2009, 22:02
I run two groups a week, six players in each – though I cheat on this because I’m running both parties down the same WotC adventure path so my preparation is mostly as if it is for one game. I alternate running and playing in another group of six players, also once a week. So three games. There’s no way I could play this many games face to face unless I was back in college.

For what its worth for those of you who have problems getting a weekly game going - consider this: when you have a small group of players it is devastating when someone misses and often causes the game to cancel. On the other hand with a larger group, even if one or two players unable to attend, you usually still have enough players to play.

My experience is if you want a game to succeed, you have to play regularly - otherwise there is a real tendency for games to fall apart. The problem is some systems handle more players better than others.

EugeneZ
July 16th, 2009, 23:59
Two groups, each meets once a week. We occasionally skip days but its rare.

Callum
July 17th, 2009, 11:42
Once a week, for three hours. I run a 3.5 game with four players. We play as long as we have three players (and me!) available. We usually meet up for a face-to-face session once a year, too, but that can be tricky as one of the players lives in a different country.

Tenian
July 17th, 2009, 12:54
"Not often enough!"

I play in two groups that are supposed to meet weekly. However they seem to go through cycles and it's rare that both meet regularly. I'd guess in a typical month I play 5 times.

I shudder to think of how much non-playing time I spend in FGII. Between campaign building, ruleset development, and module building, it's probably way more time than I actually get to spend playing.

TFWoods3
July 17th, 2009, 14:24
I shudder to think of how much non-playing time I spend in FGII. Between campaign building, ruleset development, and module building, it's probably way more time than I actually get to spend playing.

Same here, I get a lot of enjoyment just adding more creatures to my MM, adventure notes, encounters, etc. into FG. I've been doing it almost every night after work.

Phystus
July 17th, 2009, 23:49

Me too (except for the ruleset development part). But I view that as a normal part of DMing. Many years ago I calculated that I spent about 5-6 hours prep time for every hour of play, though some of that was general campaign construction rather than creating next week's adventure. Now that I have to make digital maps I think I spend even more time on prep.

As for how often I play, sadly it's once about every three weeks on average. Basically my group searchs for a weekend time slot where all six of us are free, and that's about the best we can do. :(

~P

tenkar
July 20th, 2009, 02:20
Most saturday nites for 4+ hrs, but its been on hiatus for the first half of the summer.

I'm gonna have to fight to regain my saturday nites from the g/f ;)