PDA

View Full Version : Migrating Campaign to a new ruleset

CampbellR66
July 11th, 2009, 21:43
Having finally come to the conclusion that the foundation ruleset and 3.5 extensions is not going to get fixed, I need to migrate my 2 campaigns to the d20_JPG ruleset from 3.5 extension.

Is there a painless way of doing this?

I have seen references in other posts, but can someone do the Big Print Newbie version for the less expert users out there.

I would expect several other new users have gone with the Foundation ruleset from the begining beliving it to be the best long term bet. If however this is just a template for other ruleset developers to use as a code sample, then can I suggest it is described as such and maybe ship the product with one of a selection of supported commercial rulesets.

All said and done a great product, getting great use out of it... hence we want it to improve

Oberoten
July 11th, 2009, 22:57
https://oberoten.dyndns.org/fgwiki/index.php/Migrating_from_D20_to_3.5_for_Older_campaigns

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1"?>
<root version="2.03">
<ruleset name="foundation" />
</root>

Replace ruleset name to the name of the used ruleset instead.

- Obe

CampbellR66
July 12th, 2009, 10:18
Thank you
I will give that a try on a backup now

Spyke
July 12th, 2009, 17:10
I would expect several other new users have gone with the Foundation ruleset from the begining beliving it to be the best long term bet. If however this is just a template for other ruleset developers to use as a code sample, then can I suggest it is described as such and maybe ship the product with one of a selection of supported commercial rulesets.Foundation and the 3.5 extension are certainly not intended to be merely code samples. Foundation is designed to hold the core functionality required to support custom rulesets, and the 3.5 extension is intended to be a perfectly playable extension for playing D&D.

There is however, a bug in the combat tracker at the moment, which I am sure will be fixed in due course - Smiteworks have been pretty good in the past at this.

Having said that, the JPG d20 ruleset is out there and has additional functionality in some areas - though possibly not with the new functionality for combat groups which is the source of the current bug in Foundation and the 3.5 extension. (I'm not a user of the JPG ruleset, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Spyke

Oberoten
July 12th, 2009, 18:17
Foundation and the 3.5 extension are certainly not intended to be merely code samples. Foundation is designed to hold the core functionality required to support custom rulesets, and the 3.5 extension is intended to be a perfectly playable extension for playing D&D.

There is however, a bug in the combat tracker at the moment, which I am sure will be fixed in due course - Smiteworks have been pretty good in the past at this.

Having said that, the JPG d20 ruleset is out there and has additional functionality in some areas - though possibly not with the new functionality for combat groups which is the source of the current bug in Foundation and the 3.5 extension. (I'm not a user of the JPG ruleset, so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Spyke

I know it isn't intended to be. But at it's curent form and shape? It certainly isn't more.

- Obe

CampbellR66
July 13th, 2009, 20:18
I know it isn't intended to be. But at it's curent form and shape? It certainly isn't more.

- Obe

I see from another thread that the developers do officially see it as a bug and do intend to get round to it. This issue is a real pain so would encourage the maintainance devs to deal with it son.

The move off the foundation was easy in the end and we are starting to learn the d20_JPG rule set... thanks all