PDA

View Full Version : Combat tracker not populating properly in foundation

CB Droege
July 10th, 2009, 18:24
I just upgraded to Foundation, and I like a lot of the new features, but it seems that the combat tracker isn't populating properly. When I drag an actor onto the tracker, the only thing it keeps is the name. It used to bring over the size, HP, AC, token, all kinds-of-stuff.

This is a huge step down in functionality. Is there something I can do to make it work like it used to?

Tenian
July 10th, 2009, 18:30
Are you using just the raw foundation or are you using the d20 extension? Since HP/AC/etc are meaningless in some systems it wouldn't surprise me if the foundation tracker only copied the name. I'd expect the d20 extension to handle copying the fields relevant to d20 combat (HP/AC/Etc)

CB Droege
July 10th, 2009, 18:40
Are you using just the raw foundation or are you using the d20 extension? Since HP/AC/etc are meaningless in some systems it wouldn't surprise me if the foundation tracker only copied the name. I'd expect the d20 extension to handle copying the fields relevant to d20 combat (HP/AC/Etc)

I've got the 3.5 extension.

CampbellR66
July 10th, 2009, 20:47
The foundation 3.5e extension combat tracker does not function as "We" would expect. There does not seem to be an official comment on if it is a bug and will be fixed or if it is an enhancement to come... or is it just to hard and is not going to be addressed.

When ever I post on this subject the advice seems to be forget the foundation ruleset and go with the JPG ruleset... but i hope this is not the official position.

Phystus
July 10th, 2009, 23:36
I think Smiteworks tends to leave ruleset development to third parties for the most part. I seem to recall reading a fairly official statement to that effect a long time ago, but I don't recall if it was in the forums or on one of their other webpages. They certainly don't seem to want to get into competition with the commercial ruleset developers (DA, for example). Which seems to me to be a good thing, really. Smiteworks can concentrate on improving the engine, and others can develop rulesets for whatever games they want to play.

So with that said, I wouldn't expect to see them make the 3.5 foundation ruleset a high priority.

~P

Oberoten
July 11th, 2009, 08:24
I tend to regard the foundation ruleset more as a picture of where to start as anything else. Kina like just to show what can be done with a bit of effort. The 3.5 extension is more of an afterthought than anything else.

If you wish to play D20 JPG's rulesets are the way to go for sheer usability since they are by far superior.

- Obe

Griogre
July 11th, 2009, 10:14
I'm disapointed in the tracker doesn't populate. I agree the foundation ruleset should not populate the tracker. However as an sample code, I really think the 3.5 extention should.

The functionality of the combat tracker is one of the most complex parts of most rulesets and I can't think of a better place for Smiteworks to put the old d20 code than in the 3.5 extention, given the d20 ruleset is being depreciated and eventually will not be available for download.

Oberoten
July 11th, 2009, 10:18
I agree. It should populate properly. The question here is really more of "Can we fix it somehow" than anything else since they are on their summer holidays?

- Obe

Dupre
July 11th, 2009, 12:41
If anyone knows the issue in depth and has a solution to it, please post a patch to https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9403.

We will have a look at it otherwise once we are done with current engine improvements.

CB Droege
July 11th, 2009, 15:39
so, this JPG rulesset? Will that fix the combat tracker, and allow me to keep the current functionality in other areas?

In other words: Is there a disadvantage to switching to JPG?

Phystus
July 11th, 2009, 18:23
The JPG ruleset is pure win. It will populate the combat tracker just fine.

~P

CB Droege
July 11th, 2009, 18:28
I've got the set installed now, and you're right, it is win. It has all kind of options that I've been wishing for for a year now.

I wish I'd tried this mod earlier!

I have a question already. The readme describes a window called The Box, which allows players to drop a dice that only the DM can see. I turned the option on, but my players say they don't see any extra box to drop stuff into. What does The Box look like for them?

CB Droege
July 11th, 2009, 23:50
I'll make a new thread for this issue. Thank everyone.

Griogre
July 11th, 2009, 23:50
The box is the graphic down by the token box at the bottom right of the desktop. If you want to see what it looks like go to options and turn the box on and Show GM dice rolls. The box graphic will appear so you still have the options of making some hidden rolls.

rule of three
July 26th, 2009, 23:19
To populate the combat tracker from an npc or monster, you can change the populate function from "combattracker_entry_npc.lua" :

function populate(itemdatanode, combatdatanode)

if combatdatanode then

name.setValue(combatdatanode.getChild("name").getValue());
else

name.setValue(itemdatanode.getChild("name").getValue());
speed.setValue(itemdatanode.getChild("speed").getValue());
hp.setValue(itemdatanode.getChild("hp").getValue());
ac.setValue(itemdatanode.getChild("ac").getValue());
atk.setValue(itemdatanode.getChild("atk").getValue());
fullatk.setValue(itemdatanode.getChild("fullatk").getValue());
init.setValue(itemdatanode.getChild("init").getValue());
willsave.setValue(itemdatanode.getChild("willsave").getValue());
fortitudesave.setValue(itemdatanode.getChild("fortitudesave").getValue());
reflexsave.setValue(itemdatanode.getChild("reflexsave").getValue());

end

link.setValue("npc", itemdatanode.getNodeName());
end

It doesn't work if you drag and drop something from the combat window.
For now, I don't know how to correctly use a link to get access to a field. I will work on it if I have time. I think it's related with the function getTargetDatabaseNode but I don'k know where to find it :(

Moon Wizard
July 27th, 2009, 18:06
Actually, you have to build a custom field template that updates itself when another field you linked to it updates. Also, you have to be careful to avoid endless loop conditions when you do this. I would just use an existing ruleset that does this already. My d20_JPG ruleset already does this, plus a lot more.

Cheers,
JPG

Muttley
August 18th, 2009, 12:19
[Bump]

I am having combat tracker issues too.

I am running the sample campaign in localhost
mode to familiarise myself with the game. The whole
drag and drop function is not working at all for me.

Griogre
August 18th, 2009, 18:51
The foundation ruleset is not very functional for actual play. That's why the d20 ruleset is available for download in the download section of the site. The 3.5 ruleset with the most features though is Moon Wizard's d20_JPG ruleset which is available at FUM. Join the D&D 3rd Edition FG Development there to get the free download.