PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing question

taliesin
July 10th, 2009, 13:46
I’m not sure if this is the correct place for this… but what the heck…

Some friends and I tried out the demo of this last night, and I have a few questions about purchasing.
But first let me just say that we were freakin’ impressed!!! Even the guy who was insisting on using one of the free software packages suddenly had no problem trying to spend money.

- I’ll be running a Savage Worlds game. Do I need to buy both the Savage Worlds Ruleset & the SW Explorer Edition? The website says the SW Ruleset is required for the Explorer Edition, but I read something in a different post sounded like both are not needed.

- If I do need the SW Ruleset, is there any timeline on when the functionality issues are resolved? I don’t want to make everyone buy the full version when they won’t use it for anything other than playing in a game.

- If I don’t need the SW Ruleset. I’m looking at the Rippers setting (since I already have the physical book, I figure it will be easy for me to brush up on info anywhere). The website says it requires the SW Ruleset… will it work with the Explorer’s Edition?

- Do all players need to buy the Ruleset, Or does it take the info off the GMs?

- Do all players need to buy the setting, or does it take the info off the GMs?

I think that’s all I got for now.
Thanks for any help,
Richard

Valarian
July 10th, 2009, 16:07
- I’ll be running a Savage Worlds game. Do I need to buy both the Savage Worlds Ruleset & the SW Explorer Edition? The website says the SW Ruleset is required for the Explorer Edition, but I read something in a different post sounded like both are not needed.
Digital Adventures package the ruleset with the Explorer edition and the older rules. For those of us with the older rules, a separate set of rules modules was released containing Explorer edition rules.

I believe this is the ruleset containing Explorer edition: https://www.digitaladventures.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=100

- If I do need the SW Ruleset, is there any timeline on when the functionality issues are resolved? I don’t want to make everyone buy the full version when they won’t use it for anything other than playing in a game.
Only the GM needs to buy the ruleset.

- If I don’t need the SW Ruleset. I’m looking at the Rippers setting (since I already have the physical book, I figure it will be easy for me to brush up on info anywhere). The website says it requires the SW Ruleset… will it work with the Explorer’s Edition?
I believe the Rippers purchase just contains rules modules (electronic copies of the info in the books).

I think this is the one: https://www.digitaladventures.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=96

- Do all players need to buy the Ruleset, Or does it take the info off
the GMs?
It takes the info off the GM.

- Do all players need to buy the setting, or does it take the info off the GMs?
It takes the info off the GM, but players can only view the rules modules while online.

Griogre
July 10th, 2009, 21:43
Valarian had it all correct, so just a few other comments. You do need the SW ruleset to really run the Rippers, NE, 50F, EN and all the other settings. All the settings but Shaintar require the Savage World Ruleset.

The Shaintar ruleset also includes the Shaintar setting modules, and that ruleset can be used to run all the other settings modules.

Up until Shaintar (I'm pretty sure of this) all the settings used the SW Revised Rules. However, I personally perfer the SW Explorer rules and you can easily run the older modules with the SW Explorer rules.

To the Savage World and Shaintar Rulesets the Revised and Explorer rules are just modules. You can have either or both activated. The Savage World ruleset is sold bundled with either the Revised or Explorer rules - you get to choose which bundle you want to buy. If you want to have both sets of rule modules you should buy the "Savage World Ruleset for Rantasy Grounds II v2," which includes the Revised rules modules and then get the "Savage Worlds Explorer Edition Modules for Fantasy Grounds II" which are just the SW Explorer rule modules. You need to buy it this way because the Revised rule modues are not sold stand alone like the SW Explorer ones. If you don't care about the Revised rule modules then just get the SW Ruleset with Explorer rule modules Valarian linked to.

If you have any more questions just ask. Full disclosure, I've done freelance work for DA.

taliesin
July 11th, 2009, 23:42
Thanks for the help!
I went and bought FG (full and 4 lites... just in case), and got the SW ruleset today.
I'm sure I'll have more questions about how some things work soon.

-Richard

Dershem
July 12th, 2009, 06:11
Totally off topic but great name ;)