PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Candles in the Dark

Morfedel
July 10th, 2009, 03:02
The following is a repeat from a different thread: I decided on the campaign setting, and wanted a less bland thread title. So, forgive me for the repetition:

I have a game I'm running on alternating weekends... that one is currently closed for the moment, as it is a small, tight-knit group.

However, for the weekends in between, I'm thinking of starting a 4th edition campaign on alternating sunday afternoons, est time zone.

My games are fairly story-driven overall, heavy in plot and solving mysteries and all. That can mean that sessions might pass by without combat.

That doesn't mean I dislike combat - on the contrary! But I like it to be important, part of the story. That does mean sometimes there will be some intense combat as well. Expect, in other words, a blend of plot and combat.

I also like characters in my game with more than two dimensions: that means no "I'm an orphan" and such. I've actually considered making up a questionairre for players to think of their characters in a more-rounded way.

I also tend to like games of the heroic bent: you know, great evil threatening the entire world kinda thing, though I don't always run games like that either.

And as for combat, not every monster you meet is meant to be attacked and killed: I had a group in an earlier version of D&D meet an ancient red dragon at 1st level... and they thought I was a killer DM. When I pointed out the dragon had not attacked them, just threatened them, I encouraged them to roleplay with the dragon.

Other combats are meant to be avoided... if you see an entire army of orcs, its not meant for you to slaughter, but setting the backdrop story concerning an invasion.

Etc etc.

In other words, I like players who do two things: Roleplay, and think.

So, if you think you might like that playstyle, and you wouldn't mind an every other sunday afternoon (est) game (possibly moving to every sunday if the players are so inclined at a later date), then let me know.

Following this post is information on the setting I've decided on.

Morfedel
July 10th, 2009, 03:08
Candles in the Dark

Legends speak of the time before. The time before the light of the world had all but been blown out.

According to legend, many were the empires and kingdoms that spread across the lands. Hobgoblin, elves, dwarves, men, and others all had mighty kingdoms in the world. According to legend, they ruled much of the world, bringing it under their control.

That is before they died.

Legends speak not of most of these any longer. What we do recall, is that before the Rise of Man, humans were little more than barbarians themselves. The elder races considered men little better than orcs or goblins.

But two forces found humans of exceeding interest. The infernal powers of hell, and the dragons who thought themselves masters of our realm. Each meddled in the makeup of man, turning them into servants more suited to their liking.

Thus, the races of Dragonborn and Tiefling was born. Thus was born the twin empires of Arkhosia and Bael Turath. Between the two, they divided the world, bringing any who resisted them to their knees, until, inevitably, the two came against each other, and destroyed each other with fires the world has yet to witness since.

With the fall of Arkhosia and Bael Turath, humans realized they had their chance, and they struggled their way out of the darkness of barbarism. They rose across the land, until finally the kingdom of Nerath was born, the first mighty empire built by men, without the meddling of outside forces.

For a time, an era of enlightenment and justice ruled. For a time, peace and safety was known. But it was not meant to be.

Legends do not recount what happened precisely to Nerath. All we know is, the golden age of man came to an end, and Nerath fell… Nerath burned.

With the fall of Nerath, an age of darkness, ignorance, and death came to the world. Countless times, Men have attempted to rebuild a kingdom of their former glory, but the monstrous and bloodthirsty predators of the land would not have it. Each time a promising kingdom would take shape, it would be destroyed, often by marauders, monsters and the like; and sometimes by other kingdoms of men, having lost their ability to trust and work with outsiders, or simply giving in to their greed and lust for power.

The other races, once allies of Men, have fared little better. The Dwarves, caring for little beyond their mines, toil endlessly, only pausing to repel their former Giant masters, and the same Orcs and Goblins that likewise plague the Eladrin and Elves; meanwhile, those fey creatures likewise are engaged not only by the Orcs and Goblins, but also Formorians, Drow, and other evils.

Our allies, thus, cannot help us, and have themselves been betrayed so often they have come to distrust outsiders themselves, even of their own races.

Libraries have burned. Books are exceedingly rare, and much of our histories and lore of the world has been lost, perhaps forever. If but one kingdom, whether of humans or not, could survive long enough to erect a new civilization, perhaps we could recover all we have lost.

As it is, though, I sometimes wonder if our entire race is lost, and if we are going to flutter out and fade away… like candles in the dark.

- From a fragment of the Book of Mourning, author unknown

Welcome to the campaign Candles in the Dark, a points of light setting for a D&D 4e campaign. The premise of this world follows the suggested ideals behind a points-of-light campaign from the core 4e D&D books. Much of the history, cosmology, and lore is the same.

However, it has its own unique flavor. In specific, there are no grand empires – that anyone knows of. After the fall of Nerath, any thriving civilization has been destroyed long ago. Any attempts to recreate the glory of old has been crushed by the forces of darkness and destruction.

Today, any kingdoms of any of the “good” races of the day would be considered more “pocket kingdoms,” rarely exceeding more than one city and a few outlying villages and farming communities. In much of the land, vast stretches remain uninhabited, dotted by the barren ruins of older civilizations.

Additionally, due to the constant destruction and attempts to rebuild, much lore and history has been lost. Therefore, very little is known anymore of the world at large. There are no libraries in the traditional sense, and a true book of ancient knowledge is of great value – to anyone who respects knowledge. A modern library, if you can call it such, may consist of perhaps a half dozen or so books, and would be considered a treasure trove by many lovers of lore.

While this specifically details human kingdoms, the same is essentially true of the other races. The Eladrin, Elves, and Dwarves have, perhaps, faired the best, but that is only by slim margins.

The Dwarves are somewhat xenophobic, and remain cloistered in their mining cities, rarely contacting the outside except to trade for necessary items they cannot produce themselves. As such, coupled with their pride, many Dwarven kingdoms have fallen to constant invasion by giants, orcs, goblins, and other abominations.

The Elves and Eladrin are in a similar position. Orcs and Goblins despise them as much as they hate Dwarves, and raid them as well. And while the Dwarves face the enmity of their old Giant masters, the Eladrin face off against the Formorians in the Feywild, and the Elves against the Drow here. Spread thin, and attacked on all sides, the Elves and Eladrin groan with the increasing stress on their lands, wondering if they will shatter like glass.

Enter the PCs. You will be starting the game having known each other, having fled a great disaster that threatened all of you: a vast gnoll host dedicated to nothing less that total slaughter of all, has swept the countryside, overwhelming all defenders with their horrifically large numbers in their host.

The PCs, from where ever they have been living, have fled to the North with other refugees trying to escape the Gnoll armies. By the time of the campaign’s start, you will be the only survivors left of your own refugee group, having survived several gnoll raider parties that killed the rest of your group.

You don’t know if your family and friends have survived. You know you cannot afford to stay behind currently, as the Gnoll army is just too vast. They seem to be sweeping the area, then advancing onwards, so perhaps once they have left the area, you can return and look for your loved ones, and pray to whatever gods you hold dear that they survived and escaped.

In the meantime, your companions, the other PCs, who has fought by your side the last two weeks, have just entered the southern border of a forest the locals call the Elemere, a “fey-haunted” wood that many claim no one ever returns from.

But the unknown dangers of the Elemere certainly cannot be any worse that the certain death to be dealt to you by the Gnolls. So, knowing another raiding party will be on your trail soon, you and your companions enter the Elemere, praying to find sanctuary, respite, and… hope.

Morfedel
July 10th, 2009, 03:15
The rules for this campaign are as follows:
Racial Choices
1. Dragonborn – the dragonborn almost never have a community of their own anymore; centuries after the fall of Arkhosia, combined with destruction that has been met out to their allies since, they have not faired well. They usually live with other races, by far most often humans, forming subcommunities within the human communities, working with and helping each other and their cousin species.

2. Dwarf – The dwarves mostly live in their own communities, mostly pocket kingdoms within mountains mining for their precious ores and gemstones. While they have had some powerful kingdoms of their own, their xenophobia combined with their isolationism has rewarded them poorly, and one by one their cities have crumbled under the constant assault. They are allies of humans and the Elves and Eladrin, the latter most commonly because of their shared enemies of Orcs and Goblins.

3. Eladrin – The Eladrin mostly live in cities that dwell in some form simultaneously with this world and the Feywild, or shifts back and forth in some manner. It is said their cities are wonders to behold, echoing the legends of the wonders of other, lost kingdoms, lending the appearance that of all the races only the Eladrin have lost none of their glory. However, between their ongoing war with orcs and goblins when their cities are in phase with our world, and the Formorians on the other side, as well as internecine warfare with the Drow, their cities are showing the stress of constant warfare, and more than one of the breathtaking Eladrin cities have been razed in the last few centuries. Most people never see an Eladrin city anymore. Like the Dwarves, these people are fairly reclusive, though less surly about it. However, they have learned that trusting blindly can be quite costly, and do not trust strangers easily.

4. Elf – The elves live almost exclusively in our world, and their kingdoms have been founded in the trackless forests and woods that stretch across our world. Like the Eladrin, their wonders have not quite failed yet, but like the Eladrin, their kingdoms falter, as their borders face constant pressure from Orcs and Goblins and other dark forces, and they also bear much of the brunt of the attacks from Drow. Like the Dwarves, these people are fairly reclusive, though less surly about it. However, they have learned that trusting blindly can be quite costly, and do not trust strangers easily.

5. Halfling – The Halflings of the world have in some regards fared better than the other races. They build small, hidden communities throughout the world, and they have become quite adept at hiding their presence. While this does not grant them complete immunity, some well-hidden Halfling enclaves have prospered. While Halflings are often as private as dwarves, elves, and eladrin, they have begun to work more with humans, trying to make the world a better place.

6. Half-Elf – Half-elves are essentially as in the phb; they live with elves, eladrin, and humans in equal measure, and are one of the few races that finds it easy to find acceptance in all three communities, though they rarely have communities of their own (although often having subcommunities within the larger ones)

7. Human – as documented above.

8. Tiefling – Tieflings, like Dragonborn, have no communities of their own, and most often form subcommunities living amongst humans. Unlike Dragonborn, they have difficulty finding acceptance, not only because of their dark origins and evil histories, but also because of the obvious evidence of their infernal bloodlines. However, the rise and fall of Bael Turath was long ago, and while Tieflings have to work harder to get acceptance, it is not impossible.

9. Gnome – gnomes have no lands of their own, but have lived most often in communities of Elves and Eladrin. Most recently, they have begun to live amongst Halflings as well, finding their attempts to hide their communities a fun and interesting challenge they enjoy assisting in.

10. Shifter (razorclaw, longtooth) – Shifters are the diluted bloodline and descendants of lycanthropes. They occasionally have their own tribes out in the wild, but, like the Tieflings, have founded subcommunities within human ones. Like Tieflings, they have some difficulties finding acceptance amongst humans; however, without the dark empires in their past that the Tieflings have, it hasn’t been quite as difficult for them.

11. Other races: I’m not generally fond of “weird” or overly fantastic races in general. In most cases, I would not have allowed Tieflings or Dragonborn either. And I would have denied them in this game… if it wasn’t for the fact I liked the lore and history of these two races in this version of D&D. As it is, I liked it so much I allowed them. The same is true with Shifters, I almost disallowed them, but I decided I liked their current origins enough to allow them. However, I cannot justify Half-Orcs, as the constant threat of orcs and goblins is just too great for most of the “good” communities to accept, the prejudice would just be too great. Likewise, the other races are just too weird and unusual for what I want to run. No monster pcs either

Morfedel
July 10th, 2009, 03:24
Classes and “splatbooks”
I’m allowing the following classes and expanded option sources, with any exceptions possibly listed elsewhere:
1. The phb in its entirety

2. PHB2: all classes and character options, including the generic backgrounds. Note that things such as Urban backgrounds ARE possible. There have been cities… just not many of them, and few have survived any significant length of time.

3. Arcane and Martial Power: probably allowing everything, but I haven’t read these books in complete detail, so be aware of a potential veto if I see something I wasn’t prepared for.

4. The Swordmage class from the Forgotten Realms book. The Warlock Dark Pact, Spellscarred, races, and other material is not allowed. The Dark pact, just to explain, is because I’m keeping it with the ability to bond to the dark forces at the edge of Drow territory, and I’m ruling that such forces have not become available to non-drow… yet. Would possibly allow feats, rituals, and Paragon paths, etc, on a case-by-case basis.

5. I’m disallowing everything from Eberron… most specifically because I don’t have any of the pertinent information, including the Artificer class. I hope to eventually correct that, but for now….

6. Equipment from the various sources probably allowed, but note the rules of magic items below.

7. Other sources will be ruled on a case-by-case basis, but note that if I don’t have access to the actual printed information, I probably won’t allow it.

8. The gods of this world are the default ones listed in the core books; I might be adding a few more.

9. Bob.

As such, that leaves access to the following classes:

Controller Defender Leader Striker
Arcane Wizard Swordmage Bard Warlock (no dark pact)
Sorcerer
Divine Invoker Paladin Cleric Avenger
Martial Fighter Warlord Ranger
Rogue
Primal Druid Warden Shaman Barbarian
Psionic None for now :)

Basically, it just leaves out the Artificer, and the still new Monk and Psion as of this posting. Oh, and if the table above doesnt look right, let me know, I'll try and fix it.

Morfedel
July 10th, 2009, 03:25
Regarding economy and magic, I’m not a big fan of proliferation of magic items in games. I like the idea of them being rare. That being said, magic items in D&D are virtually required. As such, I’m going to limit them without completely ridding them from the game.

So, the following rules are in effect:

1. One-shot magic items, such as potions, can be made as normal. And alchemists can be found to purchase such items, though there is no guarantee that any particular community will have an alchemist. Alchemists will often have rituals such as Brew Potion, the Alchemy feat, and possibly some artificer powers. The last will only be true once I get hold of the Artificer class info

2. Magic items that hold charges but cannot be recharged might also be possible (at this point, I admit my ignorance in skimming the magic items section: for all I know, there are no such thing anymore. I’m going to read that this weekend )

3. Magic items that are permanent are a bit trickier. To keep magic items available while keeping their availability under control, I am considering something like requiring all permanent magic items be made using residuum, and making modern day residuum generally only available by disenchanting other permanent magic items. Thus, you would have to find a magic item and have it disenchanted to get a different one made for you. I’m still pondering the specifics, but essentially, this means there will be no Ye Olde Magike Shoppes, aside from alchemists selling one-shot potions and the like.

4. Modern day equipement are generally available without difficulty… for starting equipment. After that, it will depend where you are.

5. For starting equipment, you can buy any mundane equipment, any potions and other one-shot magic items, etc. Remember, you are starting the game on the run, so make sure you invested in trail rations or whatever you feel you might need on the run. The season, incidentally, is mid-spring.

Morfedel
July 10th, 2009, 03:30
Last item: I like characters right in personality and history. Someone coming up with "I'm an orphan, and now I look to kill my parents' murderers" is rather dull. I like to hear about family, friends, enemies, trials and tribulations. If you think it would help, I can give you a questionairre to help you flesh out your character.

Also, if you have access to the DMG, and if you are self-aware enough, I'd like to know what kind of player you are; describing yourself is fine, but using the descriptions on pages 8-10 of the DMG would help me better fine-tune my adventures for you all.

Character creation will be point-buy as in the phb, 1st level. Assume your character has committed some mildly heroic acts before the start of the adventure, or you are someone with little experience but significant natural talent... plus you've had about two weeks experience in life-or-death situations with each other since then, besides a few hapless, now dead npcs.

I don't mind some mild party conflict reflecting character personality, but please don't bring psychotic axe murderer types... and try to be patient with other players in case of personality differences that might cause an unintentional problem too.

Hope you are intrigued, and let me know if you want to try it out.

Morfedel
July 10th, 2009, 11:16
As a side note, I just wanted to point out that it isn't necessary for your character to be from the area that the gnolls invaded; you could have just been traveling to, or through, there.

That being the case, however, I don't want characters who have done extensive travelling, as much of the world is intended to be a surprise for the players. So, keep that in mind. We can work on your particular home if you wish, but since you won't be seeing it for some time, extensive details aren't necessary.

Dershem
July 10th, 2009, 18:25
I'd deffinatly be interested. Familiar with 4E Haven't played much but I've run enough ;P. Sundays work well for me. I prefer Role to roll play. However I do love intense combats when they happen! As far as characters I need to think some more on the setting and come up with historys and such. I have a few ideas rolling around nothing solid though and prefer to get the base of what others are doing so to keep it similar in field. But preferably either a Warlock, Cleric, or Druid.

Do you plan on using Vent or other Voip? Or all text?

Thanks!

digitalsychosis
July 10th, 2009, 19:35
Just wanted you to mark me down as still interested. I'm looking forward too hearing more about the world. So far you have me hooked.

Curious as to how magic is viewed my the general populace. Do common people tend to act violently against wizards for example?

I'm currently toying around with some ideas for either a Wizard or Cleric although I'm open to what is needed. Sunday's will work out for me as well.

MikeParham
July 10th, 2009, 23:49
As i mentioned in the other thread,

This sounds just like something I would be interested in. I enjoy a good mix of roleplay, background development and combat.

Morfedel
July 11th, 2009, 00:49
I'd deffinatly be interested. Familiar with 4E Haven't played much but I've run enough ;P. Sundays work well for me. I prefer Role to roll play. However I do love intense combats when they happen! As far as characters I need to think some more on the setting and come up with historys and such. I have a few ideas rolling around nothing solid though and prefer to get the base of what others are doing so to keep it similar in field. But preferably either a Warlock, Cleric, or Druid.

Do you plan on using Vent or other Voip? Or all text?

Thanks!

All text, I'm afraid. My wife will often be in the same room, and she doesn't care to hear me roleplaying :)

Morfedel
July 11th, 2009, 00:55
Just wanted you to mark me down as still interested. I'm looking forward too hearing more about the world. So far you have me hooked.

Curious as to how magic is viewed my the general populace. Do common people tend to act violently against wizards for example?

I'm currently toying around with some ideas for either a Wizard or Cleric although I'm open to what is needed. Sunday's will work out for me as well.

It depends on the community. As before, the various communities are separated from much of the world. As such, each community could be different from others. So, you can expect the gambit.

That being the case, however, the elven and Eladrin communities are more accepting of arcane magic.

Divine magic is likely accepted more globally... but often only for those religions the community doesn't proscribe. The same with Primal magic in more primative/natural/barbaric communities.

In other words... it depends. :)

Morfedel
July 11th, 2009, 01:56
As i mentioned in the other thread,

This sounds just like something I would be interested in. I enjoy a good mix of roleplay, background development and combat.

Well, if you are available for the day and time, you are welcome to come try it out.

I need to point a couple things out. First, if you aren't available on a mostly reliable basis, or if you are possibly a bit wishy-washy on your reliability, I would rather not waste the time. Since this is an every-other-sunday game, I'd hope that wouldn't be too hard.

Second, when we start playing, I'll need your email address that you read and answer the most. Don't need it yet: let's make sure we have a solid group first. But when we do, I'll email to remind the group of our game each time, and if something has come up, etc.

I'll be publishing the roles that each class plays in society in general very soon. In the meantime, start brainstorming on your characters.

By the way... the following post is a character quiz. Think of it as a tool to help you visualize your character as a more realistic, living, breathing person, rather than a list of stats and powers.

You don't have to answer these questions, or if you do, not all of them. Just use it as a tool to develop your character. If you decide to answer these, don't post it in public, email your responses to me in private. PM your email address to me, and I'll respond in kind to you so you can email it to me (don't pm me your responses here, please! :) )

Morfedel
July 11th, 2009, 02:00
The following was originally a character quiz for the Amber Diceless RPG. I've modified it for more generic games:

Generic Character Quiz

1. Is it better to be loved than feared? Or better feared than loved?

2. Take a Devil's Advocate stand. Describe what there is to hate about you. What are good reasons for other characters to dislike/hate you?

3. What would provoke you to murder a random person on the street? A lie? An insult? An attack? A crime against one of your friends? Nothing?

4. Does revenge mean (1) "an eye for an eye," (2) repayment with interest," (3) "the only good enemy is a dead enemy," or (4) something else? In exacting this revenge, would you serve it hot or cold, awaiting a perfect time and place?

5. You have the opportunity to gain some information by torture; what do you do?

6. Everybody has some little item that they regard as somehow sacred. A piece of clothing, a memento of some event, whatever. What is your sacred item? Tell the story of how you found it, or why it came to be important.

7. Describe your character's voice. Would you say s/he speaks with formality? Casually? Does s/he have any favorite expressions or curses?

8. What does your character wear by preference? Do you wear makeup or jewelry?

9. What emotions can you express in public? Sorrow? Anger? Sadness? Humour? Disappointment? Joy?

10. What are your hobbies? Do you paint , write poetry or collect vintage wine?

11. Tell me about your relationship with your father? Your mother?

12. How far would you go to help a friend? A Sibling?

13. What would cause you to betray a friend, relative, or loved one?

14. Do you have any siblings? If so, are you particularly close to any? Do you hate any?

15. Your character is plagued by a nightmare or disturbing dream. Describe it.

16. What is your character’s favorite food and drink?

17. Describe your first or most memorable love affair.

18. You return to a favorite inn that has housed you many times over the years. You find that the kindly family has been threatened, beat up, and robbed. You track down the guilty party and capture him. What do you do now?

19. Your character gets into the discussion of death and dying. How would your character describe the perfect death?

20. What was your character like at the human age equivalence of 10 years old?

21. Did your character ever have a pet?

22. How has your character’s romance life been over the years?

23. Describe your character’s ideal home. What style of furniture does it have? Would you have a favorite reading spot or chair?

24. Your character has just finished a month-long struggle against difficult odds towards something of great value to the character. Suddenly, the final stage of the opposition turns out to be stronger than you expected, and attacks you while you are at your weakest. It isn’t a battle to the death, but it will certainly determine your success or failure. Suddenly, an individual appears that you have not quite considered an enemy, but you do not like by any stretch whatsoever.. The individual offers to help you. Do you accept? Would your answer differ if it was a fight to the death?

25. Which self-improvement course does your character most need? Assertiveness training? Ten steps to a new love life? How to win friends and influence people? Organizing your life? Or something else? Which course would your character most qualify to teach?

26. How would your character describe his or her perfect spouse? And as the player, would you agree? How is your character possibly mistaken?

27. Your character is the butt of a practical joke. Does he see the humor in it? Does he try and get even in some way?

28. Does your character sleep well?

29. You’ve been beaten, bruised, and battered in a recent adventure, not to mention frustrated by a rather vile ending to the affair, a scorched earth scenario in which you were victorious, but your objectives were destroyed. You now find you have several weeks to recover your health and composure. How and where would you spend this time?

30. Describe your character’s first hunt, first battle, or first killing of another person.

31. Describe the community you grew up in. What was your family’s and your own relationship to this community? What do you think of this community now?

32. Who was your best friend, if any, growing up? Are you still in contact with that person? What is your relationship like now?

33. Did you have any personal enemies or rivals growing up? Who was this, and why? What is your relationship, if any, with this person now?

34. If you are a wandering adventurer, why did you become a wanderer?

35. Someone you respect but do not fear has commited breaches in etiquette with you several times. How do you deal with it?

36. If your character could achieve one reasonable goal, have one non-outlandish wish granted, what would it be?

Dershem
July 11th, 2009, 04:32
I believe a Half elf Cleric Multi classed into Druid is what I'm considering... Priest of Melora. I'm still rolling around the backstory. If someone else would like to play a healer, I wouldn't mind doing a Druid or a Warlock as well.

EnigmaParadox
July 11th, 2009, 05:08
Hello! I was wondering if it's not too late to mention my interest in this campaign. I only have a passing experience in fourth edition, but I've been playing in 3.5 for quite a bit of time.

I'll definitely start thinking about a character to play, I rarely get to play as a PC, and your game sounds like it's right up my alley.

The test seems like a fun idea as well.

MikeParham
July 11th, 2009, 05:57
All text, I'm afraid. My wife will often be in the same room, and she doesn't care to hear me roleplaying :)

Oh my! I'm an old fart that does not type very well, and usually relie on voicechat for roleplaying. Is a compromise possible whereas my teamspeak server could be used for voice for most of us while your inputs could be text?

Therefore the wife would not have to hear yet we can fully express ourselves?

Morfedel
July 11th, 2009, 12:23
Hello! I was wondering if it's not too late to mention my interest in this campaign. I only have a passing experience in fourth edition, but I've been playing in 3.5 for quite a bit of time.

I'll definitely start thinking about a character to play, I rarely get to play as a PC, and your game sounds like it's right up my alley.

The test seems like a fun idea as well.

It's not too late :)

Morfedel
July 11th, 2009, 12:25
Oh my! I'm an old fart that does not type very well, and usually relie on voicechat for roleplaying. Is a compromise possible whereas my teamspeak server could be used for voice for most of us while your inputs could be text?

Therefore the wife would not have to hear yet we can fully express ourselves?

I suppose that would be ok, as long as its ok with everyone else.

Let's get our player base set, first, and then we will decide on whether or not to use Teamspeak or some such.

Actually, I have to admit, I prefer text with online games, because its a lot easier to suspend disbelieve when that 300 lb dude playing a faerie is what he is when you don't hear his gravelly voice (or see his 300+ lb frame in greasy unwashed shirt, hehe)

But if the others are willing to do at least some voice, I suppose that would be fine.

Morfedel
July 11th, 2009, 15:07
In retrospect, I've decided to allow Dark Pact Warlocks.. but only for Eladrin, Elves, or Half-Elves who come from Eladrin or Elven communities. This reflects their contact with Drow and their discovering the dark powers within the Drow society.

MikeParham
July 11th, 2009, 15:21
Good morning Morfedel,

You should have a private message from me containing contact and some other information.

Morfedel
July 11th, 2009, 15:36
Religion, Magic, and Society:

Religion: religion in this world is very important. Most intelligent creatures worship some diety, and an “atheist” is almost unheard of.

Amongst most of the PC races available, the average tends to be that most of the peoples worship multiple gods. An individual may pray to Pelor for good harvests, then to Melora for a good seas when he goes fishing. This is considered normal for most people; they might have one god they prefer over the others, but few are completely devoted to a single diety to the exclusion of all others.

There are some obvious exceptions. Firstly, those classes that get their source from a divine source of some sort devote themselves to a single diety. While they understand and accept others worshipping multiple gods, they themselves are devoted to just one, and seek to spread that god’s word where and whenever they can.

A second is that some deities do not accept the worship of any other god. One example of this, for instance, is Vecna.

A third is, there may be some societies that are devoted to a single god, and are less tolerant than the norm.

Also, culturally speaking, some deities are more common than the others. The below are not hard and fast rules, and there are always exceptions:

1. Dragonborn most tend to worship Bahamut, Erathis, Kord, or Tiamat or Bane if evil.

2. Dwarves tend to worship Moradin over others, though Tiamat is not unheard of, due to Dwarven’s penchance for greed. Kord is another one, as is, again, Bane, if evil.

3. Eladrin and Elves worship most often Corellon, Melora, or Sehanine. Evil elves and eladrin, however, may worship Lolth in secret.

4. Humans are perhaps the most flexible of the races in terms of their diversity of worship. Virtually all of the gods are worshipped, depending on the culture and attitudes of the particular human society you are in.

5. Half-elves reflect the society they come from.

6. Tiefling, like humans, they reflect the gamut of religions; but if the tiefling is evil, they most often worship Asmodeus, or Tiamat (tieflings who have not given up their evil ways, but have become wandering merchant clans end up following Tiamat over the centuries.)

7. Gnomes follow the elves in their deific preference, but weigh more heavily on Sehanine than any other.

8. Halflings most commonly follow Sehanine, Avandra, or Pelor.

All the Deities of the PHB and DMG are present. There may be others I may add, however… but no decisions have been made on that yet. They are pretty much as you expect, but some important notes below:

The Raven Queen’s followers tend to be of two types: sheppards that give comfort to the dying; and Death Hunters, who seek to bring down those who would seek to defy their fate and grasp immortality. The latter tend to have quite a few paladins and avengers and the like whose duty are to seek down these so-called immortals and deliver them to the Queen of Ravens.

There are a few gods that are grudgingly accepted amongst good societies, but only in specific circumstances:

Tiamat is surprisingly common amongst societies by merchants, nobles, thieves, and others who crave vast wealth. She is one of the four gods who isn’t completely banned in good-ruled regions. Many of these followers aren’t so much devoted to evil as they are to their own wealth. They are seen as ruthless negotiators, but only perform actively evil acts if they think they can get away with it without getting caught.

The second is Bane; some followers of Bane are often fierce fighters who serve in militaries that might keep a besieged city free, so any good cities with followers of Bane grudgingly accept these followers, as long as they work with the city and not against it.

The third is Torog, and only for the jailors and torturers of a city’s dungeons; they are seen as distasteful and necessary evils.

Zehir is also accepted amongst the assassins that “good” cultures might find themselves grudgingly employing to rid themselves of much greater threats.
Regardless, many societies won’t accept the above even if necessary in the views of some. On the other hand, there may be some cultures where the evil gods dominate instead.

Morfedel
July 11th, 2009, 15:38
As for magic: each culture views magic differently.

Elves, gnomes, and Eladrin are pretty accepting of magic, and it suffuses their society.

Humans run the gamut: divine magic is accepted virtually everywhere, within the limits of what gods they accept. Primal magic depends on the views of society versus nature, with more tribal peoples accepting them more than city dwellers: in cities, primal followers may be looked on with amusement or fear depending on the relationships of more primitive tribal peoples in the area.

Dwarves use less magic than the other races; Dragonborn and Tieflings tend towards the human norm, though Tieflings tend towards more magic use, and Dragonborn a bit less (with an even higher number of Tiefling Warlocks, and Dragonborn dragonmage sorcerers).

Half-Elves tend towards whatever society they live in, though they are a bit more magically inclined than humans. Halflings tend to the same degree as humans, perhaps a bit less in the arcane field.

Shifters tend more towards the primal powers, and divine a second runner, with arcane a distant third.

As for the acceptance of Arcane magic amongst humans, it varies wildly. Some view arcane power with suspicion and fear, while others accept it gladly, even encourage it. The norm tends to be that arcane magic is somewhat rare, people don’t understand it, and thus, while they do not actively try and discourage its practice, neither do they accept it with open arms, not knowing what to expect.

In general, though, magic is pretty rare of any kind. There are not many priests, for instance, who are magic-using clerics, nor are there many wizards, sorcerers, etc. In one of the common true cities of mankind, there may be a dozen arcane spellcasters, and another dozen or so divine ones. A village may have one or two. Elves, Eladrin, and Gnomes see a much higher number of magic-using types, however.

Meanwhile, Dwarves tend to simply snort and shake their head at arcane magic, have little interest in primal, but are quite accepting of divine magic.

Magic items are likewise rare, though alchemists who make potions and other one-shot items are the most common. There are no magic shops that will sell magic swords and the like due to their rarity, though if you want a custom item made for you, and you have residuum (or an item that can be disenchanted for the residuum), then one might be talked into making one for you.

Residuum is a necessary component for all magic item creation outside of the one-shot items. Residuum can only really be had by disenchanting other items… though it is said, once, long ago, that there was a way to create residuum without the need to disenchant other items first: this technique has been lost in the sands of time.

Morfedel
July 11th, 2009, 16:15
The following explains the roles of the different classes in society.

Remember, “character classes” are a rarity even if I say they are common: a fighter character class is generally more powerful and effective than an average soldier. In other words, the rarity listed here is in comparison to other character classes, not to people as a whole. Where race is mentioned, if half-elf isn’t listed, realize they might fit any role where human, elf, or eladrin are listed.

The below isn’t 100% concrete or inclusive… but a good summary to get a feel of demographics. Any race can be any class, so don’t feel like this must straightjacket you (or to any god or etc…)

Roles of Classes in Society:

1. Avengers – Avengers, as stated, are trained in monasteries. Due to the dangerous and chaotic nature of this world, these monasteries are usually well hidden and secluded from prying eyes, and are difficult to find. On some few occasions, however, a city whose religion is very accepting of a particular religion may allow, or even encourage, a monastery within the city, though in some way secluded or segregated from the rest of the populace. Avengers come from all the races. Avengers are often seen as a militant sub-arm of a church. See paladins below.

2. Barbarian – Barbarians come, obviously, from primitive tribes, but due to the destruction of so many civilizations and much unmapped, unconquered wildlands, barbarians are very common in the world. They come in many varieties, and unfortunately due to many of them worshipping Gruumsh and their tendency to destroy any civilizations they find, they are often feared and hated if recognized. However, this is not universally true, and some barbarian tribes even ally with more civilized peoples as friends. Barbarians are most common amongst humans and shifters. Dwarves are not likely to use primal powers of any kind.

3. Bard – bards were born during the darkest of the dark ages, when lore, history, and knowledge was nearly driven to extinction. Relying on oral tradition to try and preserve what was endangered of being lost forever, the original lore keepers over the centuries found a way to weave their arcane magics into song; this metamorphosized, over the centuries, their original arcane magic into what are the bards of today. Bards tend to be more accepted than the arcane spellcasters. Bards are most common among humans, elves, eladrin, gnomes, and the some Halflings.

4. Cleric – see religions, above. They span the range of diversity, and are common amongst all races (though barbarian tribes will more likely have druids and shamans than clerics).

5. Druid – see barbarian; druids tend to be in less “barbaric” tribes, however. There are several Halflings as well, in addition to elves and some gnomes. Dwarves are rarely primal power users.

6. Fighter – fighters, as one can imagine, fighters are extremely common amongst all the races.

7. Invoker – see Clerics, above.

8. Paladin – See clerics, above. Some churches have very specific military arms where regions and cities make it possible, or subunits. For example, Bahamut, Kord, and Bane all have strong military presences filled with their soldiers, and the Raven Queen has a subset of Paladins (and avengers) who are devoted to hunting down and destroying those who would seek to avoid her grasp via immortality.

9. Ranger – Rangers provide a wide range of services, from protectors of the wild in some cultures to military scouts in others. All races tend to have them, though they are uncommon among Dragonborn, Tiefling, and gnomes. Dwarves have unusual rangers devoted to underground scouting.

10. Rogue – rogues tend to be common amongst all the races, though they are somewhat less common among dragonborn and dwarves.

11. Shaman – see druid, above.

12. Sorcerer – Sorcerers are as common amongst all the races: none can predict who will be born with this arcane magic, or why. Dragonborn sorcerers tend very often to be dragonmmage sorcerers. Sorcerers tend to feel themselves superior to other casters, saying they were born what others had to work for in some regard.

13. Swordmages – originating from the Eladrin tradition, swordmages have spread everywhere. However, they are least common among dwarves and shifters.

14. Warden – See druid and barbarian, above.

15. Warlock – Warlocks tend to be equally available to almost any race. Eladrin, elves, and gnomes will most likely be fey pacts, or dark pacts (though this is dangerous; some take dark pacts to learn their enemy, others because they are evil and will not reveal their secrets to their bretherin in this case). Warlocks seem themselves like clerics in a way, in that they are bonded to an external source… but without having to worship any god.

16. Warlord – see fighters, above.

17. Wizard – wizards are most common among eladrin, gnomes, humans, and tieflings. They see themselves superior to other spellcasters, as they acquire their power not by submitting themselves to another power or by accident of birth, but by sheer willpower and education. However, not all are this arrogant, and some are often bookish and “nerdy.” Their spells are complex formulae in which they slowly gain an understanding of the universe. Dwarven wizards are very rare.

Morfedel
July 11th, 2009, 16:38
That should be it in terms of background information. I know, not much in terms of geography or history, but as I said before, this is intentional: the world is in the midst of a dark ages, where much of the world's lore and history has been lost and forgotten, and where most people do not even know what lies beyond the next mountain or stretch of forest...

And often fearing what might lurk beyond where they can see. Marauders have been known to appear from said mountains or forests, and exterminate all they find, leaving no one alive to remember who came before.

In other words, you will be discovering much of the world as you play along. So, in making your characters, I want you to keep the following in mind:

(( hell! I hit the auto list generator on this, and it freakin deleted everything I typed! ARGH! To hell with it, I'm gonna take a break, I've been typing for a few hours now and I need a break. I'll retype all that I just lost in a bit. :) ))

Morfedel
July 12th, 2009, 17:43
So, how many of you are still around and interested? Worked on any character concepts yet? :)

Diaz
July 12th, 2009, 17:44
I have sent a PM expressing my interest.

MikeParham
July 12th, 2009, 18:30
I have been cleaning up the character sheet for my Eladrin Avenger, and will follow that up with background data and your questionnaire.

When are you seeking to gather the players together, and how many have confirmed thus far?

Dershem
July 12th, 2009, 19:02
Still around and Interested. I'll gladly take the leader role if no one else is interested!

Morfedel
July 12th, 2009, 19:35
I've had about 5 or so people post, but only three or four actually email me so far. I really don't want to go more than 5, though, and I think with one player's son (an adult son btw), and another that just pmed me, I think that finally takes us to 5.

Morfedel
July 12th, 2009, 20:14
Side note, no hybrid classing right now. Multiclassing feats is fine, but for the time being, i'd like to stay away from hybrid classing.

Dershem
July 12th, 2009, 20:20
Sounds good!

EnigmaParadox
July 13th, 2009, 05:48
Still here, still interested. Looking forward to it.

I was considering playing a Human Shaman, and I've put quite a bit of thought towards his backstory.

Morfedel
July 15th, 2009, 11:56
Well, things look good, and the group is now locked up with enough players, so I'll move the conversation to email now.

If I need more players though, I'll post here again.

Morfedel
July 19th, 2009, 14:24
As it turns out, we have one or two more openings, if anyone is interested.

MikeParham
July 20th, 2009, 11:10
Got a couple of nibbles on the thread above.

See the thread 3 Players LF Game by Storm 221.