PDA

View Full Version : Bored DM LFG

Pheonix-IV
July 9th, 2009, 14:03
So i'm kind of bored and feel like DMing some gaem, preferably something pre-made since my previous attempts to run my own homebrew stuff tend to run into the 'i don't have enough time to create my own campaign and get high distinctions in my university course at the same time, but i've got more time than i need to get those HD's, and i'm bored.

Ironically i've actually 're-found' 3.5, so i'd like to run a 3.5 module, but i'm also very familiar with 4e and Savage Worlds, and in all honosty i'm willing to run just about anything, i hate being bored.

As i note, i am in Australia, Melbourne to be precise, which means GMT +10, which means that if i'm playing with Americans (as i invariably am) then that means evening games for you, morning games for me.

At the moment my Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays are free (Sundays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays for Americans), my times are quite flexible however and other possibilities can be arranged.

Any takers?

Pheonix-IV
July 9th, 2009, 15:39
By the way, i'm one hell of an open DM, almost unheard-of by DnD standards i know, but if you've ever had some sort of crazy character idea you've wanted to try i'd love to let you.

Xcenocide
July 9th, 2009, 18:59
I'd more than love to play a 3.5 game, but if the majority of people flocking here are americans, I probably won't be able to participate due to living in Europe, and, well... I suppose you can tell how THAT can be a problem.

EDIT: Actually I think I might be talking without knowing ****. I'll just wait and see what times will be suggested.

suntzu777
July 9th, 2009, 19:25
if you fancy joing our group head over to euro thursday night alternatives , all connection details are there

Rob

Pheonix-IV
July 10th, 2009, 02:25
Hmm, i see there's not much interest, pity.

Mask_of_winter
July 10th, 2009, 02:42
I'd like to play some Savage Worlds. Or if you're interested, I'm starting up a Shadowrun game on Wednesday evenings 8pm (GMT -5)

Lysander
July 11th, 2009, 15:52
Hmmm...

Starting in August, I'd be available for Wednesday night only gaming sessions. I'd prefer Savage Worlds or 4e D&D over anything else, as I'm most familiar w/ these. I'm CST-USA as well.

I'm not into Shadowrun at all, so if the group goes that way, I'd want to withdraw.

I'm a solid player and can send references of prior GM's. I'm flexible on playing whatever is needed, and I've been gaming for 30+ years...

Pheonix-IV
July 12th, 2009, 06:29
I've been playing around with Savage Species, so i thought i'd put the idea of a Monster Campaign out there; except with actually decent monster classes (no LA).

mac40k
July 12th, 2009, 07:06
If you guys can hang on until the 2nd week of August, I should be able to get Sundered Skies up and running again.

Pheonix-IV
July 12th, 2009, 11:15
I've made a calandar entry here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=419) and thrown up some random stuff for now.

taliesin
July 13th, 2009, 02:40
I've made a calandar entry here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=419) and thrown up some random stuff for now.

I've signed up, but it will depend entirely on when you'll actually be playing. But I'm definitely interested.
I'm in the Chicago-y area... GMT-5 I think (we American' don't pay attention to such worldly measurements of time).
(As a note, I've been gaming for 25 years... but have not played in FG yet)

Pheonix-IV
July 13th, 2009, 04:21
Savage Worlds is pretty attractive as well, lots of random generation stuff to spontainiously generate worlds, premade savage tales and such. Choices choices.

Pheonix-IV
July 13th, 2009, 05:52
I could also run the Scales of War adventure path if people want to play 4e.

Aagh, so many choices.

penlin
July 14th, 2009, 01:37
I would be interested in a EST weeknight evening game if it's 4E.

taliesin
July 14th, 2009, 13:54
Savage Worlds is pretty attractive as well, lots of random generation stuff to spontainiously generate worlds, premade savage tales and such. Choices choices.

I would definitely vote for Savage Worlds. But it's your game, and I'll be happy to play anything.

schwitzerm
July 14th, 2009, 14:03
I'm voting for 3.5e as that is what I am most familiar with. Will update character info on the calendar when the game is decided.

Pheonix-IV
July 14th, 2009, 16:18
So basically it's an even spread across 3.5, 4e and Savage Worlds.

-_-

schwitzerm
July 14th, 2009, 19:05
I just voted for 3.5e because I haven't read much into 4e and I'd have to be lead by the hand through it, and I know NOTHING about Savage Worlds.

Pheonix-IV
July 15th, 2009, 01:33
Werl if all the people who've shown intrest in this thread can agree on a system we'd have a game.

Lantfeust
July 15th, 2009, 01:50
I'd love to play. Don't care what the final choice is but I'll lean towards playing 4e. I signed up to the game on the calendar too

Pheonix-IV
July 15th, 2009, 02:07
Alrighty, now we need to decide on a system.

schwitzerm
July 15th, 2009, 03:47
If we are doing 4e I'm going to need some guidance... especially as a wizard (my preferred class). I can easily make a character of any level using the WotC Character Builder but I'll need some help making a transition between 3.5e and 4e in reguards to combat and spell preparation (or powers as they are now called).

schwitzerm
July 15th, 2009, 03:55
What I am going to say is that we already have a system decided. My second preference is 4e, taliesin's second preference is 4e and Lantfaust's first preference is 4e. I do believe that is the highest one system has received... two 2nds and a 1st.

I'm not trying to make a decision for you, Pheonix, I'm just stating what I see.

Pheonix-IV
July 15th, 2009, 04:39
Looks like 4e is winning at the moment; ideally we'd need at least one more person for 4e though, 3 people is doable, but it plays much better with 4 - 6.

schwitzerm
July 15th, 2009, 06:37
I just finished getting a grip on 4e (been reading for a good two - three hours) and I find that I REALLY like the changes made. I'm changing my vote from 3.5e to 4e. :)

Pheonix-IV
July 15th, 2009, 08:00
That pretty solidly puts 4e as the winnar, so unless there are any serious objections it looks like we're going with that.

Which, of course, leaves the adventure to run.

We can do the 'official' printed adventure, i forget the name of the arc but it starts with Keep on the Shadowfell, goes through Thunderspire Labyrinth, to the Pyramid of Shadows and so forth.

We can do the Scales of War adventure path being published in Dungeon Magazine.

Or we can do a randomised procedural dungeon krawl.

They're all probably about the same amount of effort for me; the earlier adventures for KotS and SoW will need to be updated with the newer monster design rules anyway, but that's not hard.

penlin
July 15th, 2009, 11:44
I'm still interested. Now that it looks like 4E, I have applied on the calendar page. I am by no means a 4E expert, but I've played through a couple of modules, so I have some familiarity. I'm happy to help out where I can. Schwitzerm, one nice thing about 4E is that it has a fairly generous retraining system, so there is less chance of getting stuck with a broken character.

As for adventures, I'm fairly neutral on the choices. For honesty's sake, I will say that I've played Keep on the Shadowfell already as well as the first adventure in Scales of War. I have no problem playing them again - I won't find it boring and I won't give away any spoilers.

If it's not presumptuous, how about classes and roles? It sounds like we have a wizard already? I'm flexible. Defender (probably fighter), leader (cleric or warlord), striker (almost any of them), and even controller (druid) appeal to me - although I'm unlikely to play a controller if we have a wizard already. I'm more than happy to wait and see what people pick and then fill whatever gap we have.

Pheonix-IV
July 15th, 2009, 11:58
Alrighty, that's a party. Now to set up a time.

penlin
July 15th, 2009, 12:57
I'm pretty flexible about times so long as it is weeknights, EST. Between 8 PM EST and midnight is ideal in my humble opinion. Any weeknight, Mon - Thu, works but I have a slight preference for Thursdays. If you're up a bit late on Thursday night, well the weekend is just around the corner.

Pheonix-IV
July 15th, 2009, 13:54
How does 1am GMT+0 work for everyone? I've put it up on the calendar so you don't have to do all the nasty mafs.

Lantfeust
July 15th, 2009, 16:51
I was thinking of a warforged fighter if there were no objections.

Pheonix-IV
July 16th, 2009, 05:59
I've invited you to the campaign, feel free to join the discussion.

Pheonix-IV
July 17th, 2009, 04:29
Alrighty, looks like we're running Scepter Tower of Spellgard, Calandar entry is here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=419), we've got 4 people, so there's still room for 2 more if anyone is interested.

roguebyte
July 20th, 2009, 20:35
Hi there,

My attention was brought to your thread and campaign and I'm interested in joining. I've played all versions of D&D and am recently familiar with 4E.

I've gone ahead and applied to your calendar entry. Looks like the missing role is a Leader, I can roll up a Warlord if you'll have me.

Thanks.