PDA

View Full Version : Rolling outside the chat window

Ged
July 7th, 2009, 11:53
We'd like to ask you about dice rolling habits to gain some information for certain design issues. Please regard arranging dice on the table as a separate thing.

Tenian
July 7th, 2009, 13:11
Other:

95% of the dice rolls I make either via drag/drop onto CT/Tokens/TheBox, using hot keys, or by double clicking items on a character/npc sheet.

The other 5% are rolled in the chat window.

Foen
July 7th, 2009, 13:25
Same as Tenian.

Leonal
July 7th, 2009, 13:40
I mostly use double-clicks or /die to roll, but I know some of my players prefer to roll 'manually' and quite often accidentally roll on the outside.

mr_h
July 7th, 2009, 14:02
I'd say I'm about where Tenian is, though maybe 80/20. Having the ability to grab a dice and throw it is nice though (but I do have the nasty habit of throwing the dice outside the allowable zone)

DNH
July 7th, 2009, 14:44
Same as Tenian for me.

John_Geeshu
July 7th, 2009, 14:45
Every now and then as I use shadow rolls without announcing the results only as a device to keep players guessing; however, I do most of my hidden rolls with real dice on my desktop as it is faster and the results don't disappear on me.

EugeneZ
July 7th, 2009, 17:32
Same as Tenian.

Lithl
July 7th, 2009, 17:46
When I roll outside the chat, it's generally an accident or because I've got the wrong number of dice picked up.

joshuha
July 7th, 2009, 18:01
I do occasionally roll on the desktop for things I look-up in a chart in a book or what not. However, since I am not playing 4E much these days 95% of my rolls are in the chat window.

Spyke
July 7th, 2009, 18:59
I only ever roll outside the chat window accidentally.

I do tend to have real dice handy for the occasional roll on my real table though.

Spyke

Griogre
July 7th, 2009, 20:24
How much I roll outside the chat window is heavily dependent on the ruleset. In the 4E ruleset I almost never roll in the chat window, with 98% of the rolls being drag drops on the combat tracker, character portrait, or double click rolls. With the Savage World Ruleset I usually do double click rolling and some drag rolling. When I use to use the d20 ruleset I almost always rolled from hotkeys.

As far as rolling the dice outside the chat window to truely have a very hidden roll, very seldom - once every dozen sessions maybe.

Moon Wizard
July 8th, 2009, 01:53
I usually use the double-click or drag and drop on CT rolling methods from my 4E_JPG ruleset.

Occasionally, I make rolls outside of the CT for certain hidden rolls. (i.e. creature perception checks, ambush attacks, etc.) I typically just drag the die and drop on the desktop to read the result. Also, I could use TheBox feature to roll hidden rolls and see the result in the chat window.

Cheers,
JPG

Phystus
July 8th, 2009, 02:34
I also use it occasionally for secret rolls, and occasionally by accident as well. Most of my rolls are of the drag & drop or double-click variety. I'm using the D20_JPG ruleset, so I don't have to grab the dice very often.

~P

Zoso
July 8th, 2009, 03:40
I'm in the same boat....with the 4E ruleset, I seldom make a roll that isn't a token/combat tracker drop or a double-click.

On a side note, do many gm's of their games shows the gm rolls or choose to have them all hidden?

joshuha
July 8th, 2009, 03:46
I'm in the same boat....with the 4E ruleset, I seldom make a roll that isn't a token/combat tracker drop or a double-click.

On a side note, do many gm's of their games shows the gm rolls or choose to have them all hidden?

I almost always reveal my rolls. Just a habit I have. If I need to fudge something I tend to do it in other ways.

Griogre
July 8th, 2009, 05:04
I'm the exact opposite of Josh, I always hide my rolls. Even though I very rarely fudge, I always want the option.

EugeneZ
July 8th, 2009, 05:16
I always reveal my rolls, except for rolls whose results would be *too* enticing for meta-game... like some Bluff, Perception, Insight rolls. Like joshuha says, if I need to fudge, I do it in ways besides dice rolls.

Spyke
July 8th, 2009, 07:42
I reveal after the event if I roll something spectacularly good or bad and it would add to the fun for the players to see it.

If I fudge it tends to be damage rolls rather than skill rolls. Bad things happen, but sometimes not quite as badly. I can't remember ever fudging when it wasn't in the players' favour.

I'm also a great believer in rolling the shadow dice for no reason other than just to engender some healthy paranoia...

Spyke

Ged
July 8th, 2009, 08:17
Guys, are you all always GMs or what. I was hoping for superstition of some kind: rolling until getting two low numbers in a row before making the actual roll, intermediate rolls, ... or something. But no. Come on! :p

Interesting though, and the results thus far support some decisions we were about to make.

Valarian
July 8th, 2009, 08:46
As GM, I'll roll outside the chat window when making spot/notice/perception type rolls. When playing, I roll everything in the chat window - or the GM doesn't accept it :).

Oberoten
July 8th, 2009, 10:02
Guys, are you all always GMs or what. I was hoping for superstition of some kind: rolling until getting two low numbers in a row before making the actual roll, intermediate rolls, ... or something. But no. Come on! :p

Interesting though, and the results thus far support some decisions we were about to make.

Eh... I GM about 98% of the time.

- Obe

Spyke
July 8th, 2009, 10:11
Guys, are you all always GMs or what.I'm usually a GM, except when I'm using FG2, where I actually play more often than I GM. Sorry, my brain's normally in GM mode.

As a player, I never roll outside the chat window.

Spyke

Tenian
July 8th, 2009, 11:25
I currently play twice a week, once as a player and once as a DM. My method of rolling doesn't change in either mode

Zoso
July 8th, 2009, 13:41
I am the GM of my group and I should add that all 3 players also use the combat tracker drops and double-click rolls exclusively.

Griogre
July 8th, 2009, 18:40
I run two games and alternate as a player and GM in one.

Hamish
July 8th, 2009, 19:49
May I venture a guess what this is about?
If this is about seperating the rolling of the dice from the chat box entirely, I'm all for it. I once tried to make the chat box movable and resizable, but failed because the dice would not work correctly afterwards. So I would love to be able to do that.

DNH
July 8th, 2009, 20:06
Hamish raises a valid point. If this is about breaking the tie between the chatbox and the dice roller, then I too would be all for that. The chat box could then lose its all-powerful status and perhaps be made as just another window - moveable, scalable, closeable even. It is probably fair to say that your poll results (ie very few people roll outside the chat window with any regularity) are tied to the fact that the chatlog (call it "the game") only register rolls that take place on the chat window. Which is to say that no-one does because it doesn't count.

Ged
July 9th, 2009, 12:41
Caught. There is a somewhat natural opportunity to modify the dice rolling -- chat window connection in a future update (relating to this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=73637&postcount=5)).

EugeneZ
July 9th, 2009, 16:52
I am pretty sure a lot of people would like to see that happen.