PDA

View Full Version : Font Size

Matt12
June 29th, 2009, 03:35
Is there some way to change Font size in FGII?

While back I thought I came across something saying how. Problem is that now I can't find anything talking about the font size. So have come here asking for help on this.

Oberoten
June 29th, 2009, 03:54
You can create a font on your own that is bigger than the standard but this will normally only work for your own rulesets.

I imagine it'd be easy to create an extension that could be loaded for those with bad eyesight. In fact I will try and take a look at that once I am more awake.

- Obe

Rivak
March 12th, 2010, 04:50
Hello, I am immensely curious about this thread. Did you discover anything, Obe?

Oberoten
March 12th, 2010, 05:41
In fact I did. I use a size 14 font for my Ars Magica ruleset. It seems though that sine this also takes re-defining the chatbox a little it is not doable as an extension but has to be done inside the ruleset itself.

- Obe

Rivak
March 13th, 2010, 15:29
okay, I see that there is a tool which allows you to create and use your own fonts. what file within the ruleset should I focus my efforts on once I've sussed out the changes necessary to the font? I appreciate your help as I'm just starting out in FGII. If there's a FAQ or a wiki about this that I've missed, feel free to conk me on the head and direct me there!

kalmarjan
March 13th, 2010, 17:32
@Rivak - Unfortunately, you will find that the font names are sprawled all throughout the ruleset. There are some that are defined in the xml files, and some in the LUA files as well.

AndyT
May 10th, 2012, 03:07
I'm exceptionally-new to Fantasy Grounds (I'm still messing about with the demo).

I've a really big computer screen combined with eyes that are getting very old ... the small text size I see when I fire up Fantasy Grounds is "ouchy" to my eyeballs.

I've done a bit of searching here on the Message Boards, but I just want to ensure I understand: I'll need to modify some TT fonts with the FGFontGenerator.exe over in the downloads (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/downloads/) area to increase the font size?

Thanks for any replys, I appreciate your time.

-- Andy

Griogre
May 10th, 2012, 05:21
That's basically correct, but you should be aware that changes to fonts are are the ruleset level and are all or nothing. In other words if you play in a game where the GM doesn't have the change the fonts will still be small. Also if you run a game and change the fonts then they will change on all your player's computers including that guy with the 15" half screen on a notepad. Given this, you may find it better to just adjust the resolution of your monitor to a something smaller, given most video cards now allow changes to resolution on the fly.

However, DrZuess has an old 4E Font Extension you can look at to see how it is done. It should be noted I don't think you can't change the chat window fonts right now with this extension approach. That is something that I think the version 2.9, currently in beta, allows though.

AndyT
May 11th, 2012, 00:24
Griogre,

Thanks for the prompt and informative response!

Yeah I was thinking that any changes I might make on my end (considering I'd have to actually re-render TT fonts to a more legible size for me) would be application-wide and most likely will would be pushed to clients if I was hosting a game ... and that could cause havoc for clients with small(er) screen dimensions or resolutions.

I've still not figured out how I'd populate content for gaming sessions (whether I'd do it on a Mac or a PC), but I just wanted to double-check I wasn't missing something completely obvious to old FG hands.

Thanks again for your time.

-- Andy

Bilz
October 25th, 2016, 13:52
Has there been any change to this in the last four years? These small fonts are killing my eyes.

LordEntrails
October 25th, 2016, 14:53
You can scale the whole UI by typing /scaleui 125 (or the number of your desire, with 100 being normal). There is also a Big Fonts extension you can use, https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25600-Using-FG-at-the-tabletop&p=227962&viewfull=1#post227962

If you want to alter the extension to your needs, more info here:
- https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34013-Advice-Needed-Messing-up-with-Display-Font-Sizes
- https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33876-Tab-font-size
- https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33040-Font-size-question

Bilz
October 25th, 2016, 19:49
This is fantastic. I tried the scaleui first, but didn't care for how it reduced the desktop size as well, but the big fonts extension is exactly what I was looking for. Makes all the text easier to read without changing anything else. Thank you!

DrBob1021
December 22nd, 2023, 21:12
I am looking for some way to increase just the font size and not the UI. I had to stop running my game on FGU because of eye surgeries and can not see the tiny fonts without increasing the UI which just screws up everything else.

The devs need to add some way to do this as it can fall under ADA.

Zacchaeus
December 22nd, 2023, 21:29
I am looking for some way to increase just the font size and not the UI. I had to stop running my game on FGU because of eye surgeries and can not see the tiny fonts without increasing the UI which just screws up everything else.

See the links in post #11 above.

LordEntrails
December 22nd, 2023, 21:49

Note, you posted in a thread about FGC (classic) in the FGC support forum. The links I posted before probably won't work with FGU.

But, there are numerous extensions in the Forge that will make minor changes to font size in FGU. Just search for them and you should find them. If you need help, please post int he FGU support forum.

Adjustable font sizes are not something the architecture of FG supports well, because windows like the character sheet are defined in pixels, and if you increase the size of the text, they no longer fit in the available pixels.

Other than the various bigger font extensions, there are 3rp party freeware as well as tools built into your operating system that will help you as well. Some of them work like magnifiers that blowup a portion of the screen. That way you do not have to increase the size of everything on your screen, just the part that you want to read or see the details of. I suggest you look into those as they will help with every program on your computer, not just FG.