PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Combat Tracker issues

Irkenfirk
June 27th, 2009, 00:14
Hello all.

I'm new to FG2, and have questions regarding the combat tracker.

I've watched xorn's tutorials (thanks!!) and when he adds PCs and monsters to the combat tracker, all their relevant statistics show up automatically. I can't even get the PC's into the tracker.

As well, when I drag monsters into the tracker from the personalities list, only the name is associated with the beastie, none of its stats are available.

I've also tried this in the demo campaign, to no avail.

Am I missing a step or something? Has this feature been temporarily disabled?
I've scoured the forums but haven't found a similar issue. If I've just missed it, my apologies.

I'm sure I'll have more questions later, but for now, any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edit: Seems like this is an ongoing issue that has not been fixed for 3.5ed ruleset. I suppose the only work around available is to use good ol' pen and paper.

EugeneZ
June 27th, 2009, 01:11
Xorn's tutorial used the 4E_JPG ruleset which you can find on the unofficial FG2 wiki and www.fouruglymonsters.com in the 4E group. This ruleset goes above and beyond the normal functionality available in the regular ruleset. If you are looking for similar functionality from 3.5, check out d20_JPG.

Hope that helps. If you're still having some trouble, be sure to reply here and let us know what the problem is. Welcome to FG2. :)

Irkenfirk
June 27th, 2009, 16:22
Hey, thanks for the help.

Now, Is it possible for me to take my story from the existing campaign and transfer it into the new campaign with the d20_JPG ruleset? Will I need to retype everything now?

Griogre
June 27th, 2009, 22:24
The d20, Foundation 3.5 and d20_JPG rulesets all use the same data structure. You can change between any of them without having to re-input anything. Obviously you should make backups in case something goes wrong.

For personality data to drop correctly into the Combat Tracker it has to be entered into a certain way. The best way to see how it should be entered is to start the Foundation ruleset with the 3.5 extension. Then press the module activation button in the top right (book icon) of the FG Desktop. Double click on the Green 3.5E Monsters book to activate the monster module. The brown book should open after the data loads - it might take a few seconds. Close the Module Activation pop up and click on the book at the bottom right of the FG desktop to open the list of activated library modules. Click on 3.5E Monsters link in the left pane which will fill the right pane with a list of all the 3.5 SRD monsters.

Open the Personality List by clicking on the button on the right side of the FG desktop with the tool tip Personalities. Then drag and drop a monster from the right pane of the library listing onto the open personality list.

Look at how the attacks are entered. You have to do it the same way to get the data to drag and drop from the personality list to the combat tracker. If you enter you own monsters you need to put them is exactly the same way if you want the drag and drop to the combat tracker to populate eveything for personalities. As has already been mention the drag and drop from a PC doesn’t fill out much of the line because it is assumed the player is going to make an attack for a PC. Thus he should be making his attacks from hot keys or the mini sheet. The only thing from the PC should be things like AC and HPs

If you are going to use the d20_JPG ruleset you might want to download the d20 ruleset from the download section on this site. The d20_JPG can use those library modules with out any changes.

Irkenfirk
June 28th, 2009, 18:01
Ok, so I've switched my campaign over to the d20_JPG ruleset. I really like the setup and functionality of it, many thanks MoonWizard.

My next question; How to I get the 3.5e library modules that are in the 3.5 extension into the library in FG2 in my d20_JPG campaign? I did download the d20 ruleset from the site, but I'm not sure if they are D&D 3.5ed compatible or not.

Thanks!

Bidmaron
June 28th, 2009, 23:50
I also highly recommend getting the CSRD modules from DA, as they are also compatible with d20_jpg, and they have additional stuff from some of the splat books.

Moon Wizard
June 29th, 2009, 02:03
You can edit the d20_JPG ruleset so that it accepts modules built for the foundation ruleset.

Just open the base.xml file in the d20_JPG ruleset directory, and add this XML at line 45 between the "importinfo" tags.

<acceptfrom ruleset="foundation" />

Cheers,
JPG

Irkenfirk
June 30th, 2009, 21:55
I appreciate the help guys.

I'm trying to start my first campaign in FG2 with some friends back home. My newest issue is as follows.

I'm running d20_JPG version 3.0.4, and have gotten my prospective players to download and install the same version into their lite edition of FG2. We worked through all our connection issues and finally got a player online. When he attempted to chat, he got the following error;

Script Error: [string "scripts/chat_entry.lua"]:32: attempt to concatenate a nil value

When he attempted to roll dice, he got the following error;

Script Error: [string "scripts/chatmanager.lua:]:376:

I've no idea what that means. I have no experience with coding or programming. All I understand is that I could not see his character sheet, and his rolls weren't appearing in the chat window.

MoonWizard, I appreciate the info as well, but I can't seem to open a .xml file. My browser freaks out and says;
"The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using style sheet."

So yeah, therein lies my problem. I'm a hapless techo-weenie who needs help!

Thanks!

Moon Wizard
June 30th, 2009, 22:08
Make sure that your friend has completely updated FG, and that he selects a character to play (either a new character or an existing character). The error is when the chat system tries to find the character portrait.

Also, you will need to edit the XML in Notepad or some other text editor. By default, Windows will try to use your browser to open any XML files, but you won't be able to edit even if you could see it.

Regards,
JPG

Irkenfirk
July 2nd, 2009, 15:18
Right on, that worked! Ha!

Thanks for your help and expedient replies!

CampbellR66
July 2nd, 2009, 20:42
Am I understanding this correctly...

The official foundation ruleset combat tracker is not supposed to copy accross the monster stats on drag and drop i.e. its not a bug!

The recomendation is not to use what we have paid for and switch to the unofficial (and by all accounts excellent) ruleset. What happens when its author wants to focus his creative efforts elsewhere?

Oberoten
July 2nd, 2009, 23:13
What you PAY for is basically the program and it's capabilities of runing different rulesets, the recomendation to use the JPG ruleset is basically because it has a lot of functions that the FREE one that SW distributes with FG isn't nearly as good.

Once JPG moves on from his ruleset, you will still have a useful program and a very matured ruleset as well as the development discussion over at FourUglyMonsters.com

- Obe

Irkenfirk
July 3rd, 2009, 00:42
Another problem has arisen.
Some of my players cannot access the d20 basic rules and spells module books via their library.

They have downloaded the d20_JPG from FUM, as well as the d20 ruleset from this website, and located them in the correct locations. Their modules show a spider web where the books should appear. I have tried force loading as well as just checking the book for allowing them access. My books are also open.

Any thoughts?

Griogre
July 3rd, 2009, 03:23
If they see a "spiderweb" then they don't have that the client modules in the right place or they are in the right place but do not have the .mod extention. The "spiderweb" means the GM has allowed/disallowed the module but you don't have a copy of it.

Have you player make sure the modules are in the FG data apps modules folder. If they are then make sure he has unchecked "hide known extentions" and confirm the extention for the module is still .mod - several "helpful" unzip programs recognize the .mod file is a really a zip file - so they "help" by changing the .mod extention to .zip which means the modules can't be read by FG. Naturally, if you can't see the file extentions per the default Windows settings you would never noticed this. If this is the case have him change the .zip back to .mod.