PDA

View Full Version : Iron Kingdoms

Belizan
June 25th, 2009, 23:00
I have been frustrated with the quantity and variety of available non-4E/Savage games being started/run in FG for a while now. The question which really tickles me is whether this is an indication of what the majority of the FG user base wants to play, or whether it is simply a matter of people playing the games which are available (or a lack of GMs for alternatives).

So, to find out, I thought I would post this simple testing of the waters for interest in a (heavily modified) 3.5 derivative Iron Kingdoms game. For those unfamiliar with Iron Kingdoms, it is a steam-era fantasy setting (so called "Heavy Metal Fantasy") by Privateer Press (www.privateerpress.com). The campaign itself would likely be more RP/plot-based then action/dungeon crawl, set most likely within the backdrop of the competing steam engine rail lines, rather then in the war itself or overly with the giant steam golems for which Ik is famous.

I have no problems, however, if someone wants to "OT" on this thread to talk about other non-4E/Savage/Star Wars games they'd be willing to run (or I suppose play in). Personally, I'd love to find a good L5R game, for instance, or even Seven Seas.

I am in the Eastern Time Zone atm.

Stuart
June 25th, 2009, 23:09
I will be running a MERP Campain with the Rolemaster ruleset as soon as it is released. I was playing a Shadowrun campaign that folded abruptly and would love to run/play either Solomon Kane (SW) or MARS (SW or 3.5 Modern).

So ... nothing 4E here ;)

If you were my time zone, I'd be interested in Iron Kingdoms ... but I'm not :(

Xcenocide
June 26th, 2009, 21:34
I have never heard of this Iron Kingdoms thing, but if it's derived from 3.5 rules, I'd be more than willing to try it out. I for one don't enjoy 4E, so I've been pretty low on games just because almost everyone seems to play that :V

Also, the link doesn't work.

Sid1120
June 26th, 2009, 22:04
Yeah I'd like to join in. I hate 4th edition as it's been turned into a downright arcade hack-n-slash with too little predetermined classes =/

I would definitely enjoy playing a steam punk thematic

Belizan
June 27th, 2009, 00:35
It's the closing ).

www.privateerpress.com

That should work. Iron Kingdoms is written on the 3.5 ruleset, although as I said the rules I tend to run with are heavily modified.

Xcenocide
June 27th, 2009, 04:40
Question.

What kind of races would you be allowing for PCs? I have a friend who's interested in playing in a steampunk/fantasy game, but he'd like to know about that first before he goes to buy FantasyGrounds.

Belizan
June 27th, 2009, 18:51
The campaign I have in mind involves playing a group of trouble shooters for one of the railroad companies. As such, although pretty much any race other then elves could be made to work, the role of a purely combat-oriented character might leave its player feeling left out of a lot of scenarios. That said, basically, any of the various nationalities of Humans, Gobbers, Trollkin, Ogrun or even Dwarves would be fine, I think given the right background. Elves wouldn't fit the campaign idea I have in mind, though.

As for buying Fantasy Grounds, though, let's not get ahead of ourselves 8). In my experience many a game falls apart before it even gets run. We still need to get a definite roster and play time. Then assuming we can get a time that works for enough people, we can do character backgrounds and backstory all before your friend would need to buy a copy of FG. If this game is his catalyst for buying FG, let's be sure we're really going to get to play before he actually spends his money ;).

Xcenocide
June 27th, 2009, 21:18
Okay, so a friend of a friend's friend happened to possess some Iron Kingdom books, including the Monsternomicon, which apparently is IK's equivalent for Monster Manual.
Well, anyway. Within the pages was found a race which seemed at least in my eyes to be fit for PC usage, and my friend just so happens to be interested in trying that out: The Satyxi... or something, I forgot the name. Basically an all-females race of humans with... horns. What do you think? Would that be even remotely possible?

Belizan
June 28th, 2009, 18:58
If memory serves, the Satyxi were a matriarchal demi-humanoid race that lived on one of the now Cryxian islands (The Scharde Islands) who were blighted by the dragon Toruk when he moved there to found that nation. I can't remember if the horns were pre- or post- blighting (dragons twist other living things that live around them in IK). Anyway, in some IK games one could come up with a campaign theme/background/plot ideas to make playing a Satyxi an option, but it doesn't really fit in the campaign I had in mind.