PDA

View Full Version : Notes error in 2.4.2

Moon Wizard
June 25th, 2009, 18:57
This was reported to me in my ruleset in all v2.4.x versions. I confirmed that this is also occurring with the foundation ruleset as well.

1. Create a new campaign
2. Use another instance of FG to connect to the host
3. Select new character
4. Click on Notes button
5. Click New button

It generates the following error, and no note is created.
Script Error: [string "notelist:<unnamed>"]:1: attempt to index nil value

Thanks,
JPG

Tenian
June 25th, 2009, 19:07
Sounds like one of the errors i reported on RC4 that can be found here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=73912&postcount=64)

The work around used to be to create a note under 2.3.6 for each player and then upgrade to 2.4.0. Existing notes were unchanged and users had the ability to create additional notes.

Goblin-King
June 26th, 2009, 10:35
The problem here is related to the script in the new note button:

Interface.requestNewClientWindow(class[1], window.getDatabaseNode().getNodeName());

Because clients can no longer create phantom nodes, the "notes" node is not created when the list is opened. If the user had any old notes, this would get generated with those, so the problem only manifests when there are no notes there already.

Due to some concerns with backward compatibility, we've solved this by allowing the default behaviour of windowreferencecontrols to create phantom nodes with no owner. This isn't actually quite as bad as it sounds, because having one in the first place is an error, unless you consider it a special feature such as here :).

Foen
June 26th, 2009, 22:25
This issue is addressed for the standard ruleset but has not been addressed for custom rulesets. Changing the functionality to allow the standard ruleset to run isn't the same as making the changes genuinely backwards-compatible.

Stuart