PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Grounds Not Updating After Installing

Christopher Altman
June 25th, 2009, 08:40
Sigh.

I am having some extremely irritating issues with FG updating. I have searched through the forums (and tried solutions) for about 6 hours now. I have made absolutely no progress.

The two issues I am having are addressed in other forums, but I am going to go ahead and make what I am needing very clear so someone can address it.

The situation: I am installing FG on a new machine. I am trying to use the same license key that I used for a previous installation of FG on my old machine. (Note: FG works fine on the old machine.) I am a DM and run the full version.

The first issue: The updater issue. In the initial update after installation, it stalls and says, "Error!" I keep running the updater, and it gets a bit further every time (a very, extremely, eensy-weensy bit further). However, there comes a point when the updater gets even slower. I think that the second issue is related to this one. (And, yes, I've read the forums on this and none of the solutions have helped me. I read that another version--I THINK 2.3.6 or some such thing--is supposed to fix this, but I have ABSOLUTELY no idea where to download it. I also tried the d20-jpg ruleset, and it solved nothing.)
Can someone post a link for the place where I download 2.3.6? I cannot find it for the life of me. (Oh, and I did try checking my registry key in "regedit" and checked for spaces--to no avail. I am using the correct key.)

The second issue: After the updater keeps crashing, if I try to run FG (or if it is set to auto-run after the updater has run), FG does not start. I get this error message:

Error Loading Data
Could not load ruleset file base.xml
Do you want to try reloading the data?
Yes No

Well, "Yes" is not an option, really, since when I click it, my speaker barks an error sound at me, and nothing happens. All I can choose is "No," which just ends the program. From there, I try running the updater again and again. Sometimes, it "Error!s" at the very beginning of the process. Other times, I get lucky and it gets halfway. (That's when I roll a 15.) When I roll a natural 20, it gets to the tokens, and then it errors out again. So, essentially, one out of five times I make a tiny bit of progress.

This can't be right! Something is wrong here. I have read forums on these issues, but not on both happening at the same time.

Any thoughts on this? I am willing to provide whatever information my would-be replier needs, and to work very hard to solve this. To be honest, I am at my wits' end with FG, and am just considering another program for online running. I love FG, but if it won't run, well, it doesn't matter how much I love it, does it?

Best,

Christopher Altman

unerwünscht
June 25th, 2009, 09:12
Well just glancing over all the threads for the last few days I can say:
1. I am glad I have not had the time to use Fantasy Grounds this week, and thus have yet to update.

2. It sounds like (to me at least) Smite Works is in desperate need of a roll back patch until they can figure out what they did to cause all of these issues.

Hope someone gets it working for you soon.

Goblin-King
June 25th, 2009, 10:03
Christopher,

It seems to me that you are missing the launcher.pak file which is causing the problems. Could you please contact our support at [email protected]. There's no evidence of a systematic failure at the patch server, so I'd like to make sure there is nothing else in the way at your end.

Christopher Altman
June 25th, 2009, 16:50
Thanks for your swift reply, Goblin-King.

I have submitted the request for the launcher.pak to FG support. I briefly described the issue to them, and I referred them to this thread. I will let you know what happens!

Griogre
June 26th, 2009, 04:16
Also on the license, the problem with keys is that FG2 expects the dashes between the characters and FG1 didn't care.