PDA

View Full Version : V2.4.1 Epic Problems

d_hall
June 23rd, 2009, 22:39
Version: 2.4.1
RAM: 512mb
Graphics: 128mb
Processor: 1.7Ghz

Right so we tried to play our standard tuesday game, which has ran perfectly smoothly until the latest patch. But this time my players experienced the following problems:

Some players (random every time) were disconnected whenever a map was closed or sometimes when maps were opened
When they logged back in they could not see the map, or the other players, or the monster tokens (1, 2, or all of those things would happen but not always all of them or even any of them. Again it seemed completely random)

What we had done just before the problems occured:

Minimised a previous map
Placed tokens on map before loading (the map that caused the most problems) (see below)

https://magic-cms.co.uk/croc.png

Although the above things did not precede every map that caused problems, only the map that caused the most problems. All the maps before then worked fine except for radomly disconnecting players. A problem we could still play with.
However the other problems: Not being able to see the map, the tokens, or the other players. Obviously rendered the game unplayable.

Further to the above player one player could not use their usual name when trying to connect so had to use another name and could then not access their character sheet.

EDIT:
My players have just reminded me of the 404 errors they got. When trying to log in sometimes they would get errors saying: "Unable to transmit data" something about a 404 "check network conections" etc.
The system also told them that icon files were missing.

Help would be very much appreciated. We were hoping to play again this weekend. Thanks in avanced

Kind Regards,
Damon Hall

Dupre
June 24th, 2009, 17:46
Is anyone able to replicate this with the hotfixed 2.4.1? Please also make sure everyone in the group has the latest version (hotfixed).

Tenian
June 24th, 2009, 18:13
Some of those problems are not 2.4.1 related.

The 404 error is fairly common. It happens if you use the 4E ruleset and place player portraits on a map. If that player is not connected when you share it, all the other players will receive 404 errors....but the token will still be displayed.

Crashing on map loads sounds like a common problem that predates 2.4.1. It's related to tokens being stored in a module. When new tokens are made available via the CT or the token being dragged from the CT to the map, randomly players will crash. Sometimes no one will crash. Sometimes 2-3 players. I've never been able to determine any sort of pattern. Once they crash if they log back in and open the CT right away, they may crash again when the map is shared. The best way to avoid this is to not open the CT until the map and all the tokens are displayed. Opening the CT at that point seems to fix the issue.

All of the map related crashes are "hard" crashes with the client debugger/unhandled exception error appearing. I've also never been able to reproduce them in local mode. I could see what kind of additional error information is available and send it on if it would help. I could also probably reproduce the error with developers connected (it's random which user(s) are hit so having multiple developer machines connected would increase the odds).

DarkWiz58
June 24th, 2009, 18:45
I've sent the developers some test data, more or less reproducible, that might help them with this problem. It relates to masks and tokens used on a map / image from a prior gaming session being transmitted to players.

I'm waiting for a response from the FGII programmers on this.

d_hall
June 25th, 2009, 15:27
A point which I forgot, thanks DarkWiz58 for jogging my memory, we did in fact have masks enabled since I didn't want to reveal the whole map to the players. If it's not fixed by our next game session then I'll attempt to replicate the problem so I can hopefully provide more information on this error.

And tenian I'm using the d20 ruleset, as we had problems getting character sheets to link when using the combat tracker with the new Foundation ruleset. And the rest of your post was too difficult for me to read, sorry i'm a little unknowledgable with all this stuff. We were only using standard modules e.g. monster manual, basic rules, magic items, and spell book. No custom modules were used, but i'm not sure if that's what you meant. Also I wasn't aware of any way to link tokens to the CT after placing them, I thought it had to be done the other way round?

Thanks Dupre for the response, sorry I can't help much more, i'll attempt to replicate the error next session. And as for the update, yes all my players had downloaded and installed the update. Or at least that's what they've told me.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Tenian
June 25th, 2009, 15:44
Actually most of the technical information was intended for Dupre. Since they released a 2.4.2 patch this morning that includes several token related fixes, your problems may have been addressed.

But to clarify, in case you're interested:

Crashing on map loads sounds like a common problem that predates 2.4.1. It's related to tokens being stored in a module.

Refers to tokens stored within a module. This could be an adventure module, a monster manual etc. Simply put, if you have no modules open and open your token bag, you'll see a number of tokens ("campaign tokens"). If you open a module that contains tokens, more bags will appear with new tokens, ("module tokens"). Tokens from these bags are stored in the module. It was using the module tokens that would sometimes cause players to crash when you first showed them a token.

Sigurd
June 25th, 2009, 18:37
You're both right.

I'm just happy developers have one more problem, and test files, to work on.:D

Sigurd