PDA

View Full Version : GM cheat tool

adminwheel3
June 22nd, 2009, 19:17
Is there a function out there which allows the GM to force a result on a die?

For example, I'm working a story in my head and thought it would be entertaining if a particular bad guy suffered a catastrophic failure at just the wrong moment.

While I could certainly fudge that story-wise it would be much more satisfying to the players if I do a "Ok, and now I'll roll to see if he successfully triggers the Device of Doom. <visble roll> A one!? OH NOES!!!"

And cheers are heard over the ventrilo channel.

/rolldmdice 1d20 result=1

Plus it would then be easier to fudge in the players favor when a fight just isn't going their way while still retaining the feeling of risk by having visible results.

Lithl
June 22nd, 2009, 21:02
chatmanager.lua, in the processDie function. You can add additional parsing to the /die command, to display a number in the "dice result" format.

Alternatively, in onInit you can call registerSlashHandler do add a new slash command.

Sigurd
June 23rd, 2009, 02:12
That way real player alienation lies.

I'd rather it be generally accepted that there are no cheats available.

That said, I don't share die rolls with players. If an occasional flub is made by a normally lucky and too deadly opponent I wouldn't remember to tell you.

Lithl
June 23rd, 2009, 05:29
That way real player alienation lies.

I'd rather it be generally accepted that there are no cheats available.
I like to imagine that any GM implementing cheats into their ruleset would be honorable in its use. But hey, it's his game :)

Griogre
June 23rd, 2009, 17:52
This is why I don't reveal die rolls in FG and roll behind a screen in face to face games. I very rarely fudge rolls as a GM but I always reserve the right to.

IMO if you are rolling the dice in the open then you have a compact with the players *not* to fudge rolls. However, everyone runs games in their own way.

Lithl covered the practicallities, however the real issue is you are not going to be able to get the rolled dice actually show a one and if you don't show a dice rolling you are going to lose the whole effect.