PDA

View Full Version : Payback for Tenian!

Xorn
June 18th, 2009, 03:22
So my turn is coming up and I need to post this quickly, but this was my last turn in our Ten Scales campaign:

I should mention that was my second and THIRD crit out of five attacks so far. :) If I could get out of these freakin' webs I'd have cleared the encounter by now!

EDIT - Jeezus, three rounds later, I threw my greatsword at it. :P I'm now weaponless and still immobilized. :P

TFWoods3
June 18th, 2009, 05:02
Cool ... looks like you guys are having fun :)

Tenian
June 18th, 2009, 11:10
Silly barbarians broke my encounter :( Ettercaps are supposedly one of the harder encounters too. You know for normal people who don't open the encounter with a surprise charge crit and take an ettercap guard from full to 25% hps....

Tenian
June 18th, 2009, 14:57
He got immobilized more than once:

Effect 'Immobilized' allows a saving throw [on Tak]
Tak -> Saving Throw [FAILURE] [1d20 = 9]
Tak -> Saving Throw [SUCCESS] [1d20 = 17]
Tak -> Saving Throw [FAILURE] [1d20 = 9]
Tak -> Saving Throw [FAILURE] [1d20 = 7]
Tak -> Saving Throw [FAILURE] [1d20 = 6]
Tak -> Saving Throw [FAILURE] [1d20 = 5]
Tak -> Saving Throw [FAILURE] [1d20 = 6]
Tak -> Saving Throw [FAILURE] [1d20 = 8]
Tak -> Saving Throw [SUCCESS] [1d20 = 15]
Tak -> Saving Throw [SUCCESS] [1d20 = 14]

Guess it wasn't all 20s!

DNH
June 19th, 2009, 09:39
My players had a REALLY bad run of the dice a while back. They could hardly do anything. No-one was hitting, saving throws were failing ... and yet my DM dice were fine! Naturally, the players started to blame the FG2 random number generation algorithms, but we had all read that forum post on here somewhere where it got tested to death with a script and proved to follow the expected patterns. What to do when the dice fall bad? It's never easy. As an old gaming friend of mine used to say, "It's the bad rolls that'll get you."

EugeneZ
June 20th, 2009, 01:48
Um, how does that adage go? The difference between an adventuring party and five corpses? Knowing when to run...

Bad dice are a game system's way of representing a "bad day."

Zoso
June 20th, 2009, 05:25
That's when it's time to pull a DM trump card and help the party survive for the sake of keeping the story alive, unless they keep getting themselves in trouble from bad strategy/etc, then they can enjoy the pain of starting over. The DM always has the power to turn things around for the players if need be.

Xorn
June 21st, 2009, 10:49
We weren't in dire straits though--I was comfortable enough with our chances to throw my greatsword at one of the ettercaps! (Missing wildly and losing my sword, incidentally.)