PDA

View Full Version : Description value in script

Grimmbart
June 15th, 2009, 16:38
Hi.

In a numberfield, i set 'description' value. After, in the numberfield script, i need to access to the description. How can i do that ?

local desc = getDescription(); ???

<numberfield>
<description text="here i am" />
<script>
local desc = getDescription();
</script>
</numberfield>

Lithl
June 15th, 2009, 17:29
I'm not certain how attributes are accessed, but if it were <description>here i am</description>, then the Lua would be local desc = self.description[1];

Grimmbart
June 15th, 2009, 17:54
Thank's but that is not good !!

self.description[1] return boolean value !!??

Lithl
June 15th, 2009, 20:48
Are you still using an attribute when you try that Lua code? See Ruleset Modification Guide (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/modguide/scripting.xcp): from the section "Accessing XML parameters from script"...

Any tag with no child tags is represented as a string value if it has text contents, or the boolean value true if the containing tag is singular or empty.

Your XML code, <description text="here i am" /> is a singular tag, so the Lua gets "true". If you change it to <description>here i am</description, then the Lua code should work fine.

There's probably a way to access the attribute, I just don't know what it is.

Foen
June 16th, 2009, 06:40
I don't know how attributes are treated - it is an undocumented feature of the FG xml. Some attributes can be used instead of tags but that used is deprecated, for example:

<tabtarget next="nextctl" prev="prevctl"/>

is the same as:

<tabtarget><next>nextctl</next><prev>prevctl</prev></tabtarget>

But the second approach is encouraged and the first is considered out-moded (I think it is there to support FG 1 conversion to FG II).

Foen

Grimmbart
June 16th, 2009, 08:16
Thank's, now it's good !!

Nicolas.

rule of three
June 16th, 2009, 21:07
I was going to post my question here but I see that you were faster than me.
Thanks Grimmbart :D

That should simplify my dicethrower script.